Overheated engine repair

Overheated engine repair

Postby hotrodmike [OP] » June 19th 2017, 4:19am

Hi There Everyone,So about 2 years ago I overheated my 89 Astro van,and its been sitting ever since,i Took it To The local shop a year ago,and They did a system pressure Test on The engine,They Told me after doing The Test,That it could be any number of gasgets,or seals may be leaking,and unless They were To get into The engine,it may either be a head gasget leak,or a crack in The head,and I would be looking at over 3 grand for The work,Yea RIGHT!! I don't Think So!! LOL So I'm Thinking They did Tell me To steam clean The engine,To see were any leaks may be coming from,and That's all good,but I'm Thinking about just getting a complete gasget kit,and starting with The head gasgets,and going from There.The van starts right up every Time I go To Test it every month since its been sitting,i have heard That These 4.3 engines are an Awesome Stong engine,and worth investing in,So with That being said,i Would So Appreciate ANY,or ALL SUGGESTIONS To help me get my Astro Van back on The Road.Thank You!!
Original Poster [OP]
hotrodmike
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: hotrodmike has been a member for 9 full yearshotrodmike has been a member for 9 full yearshotrodmike has been a member for 9 full yearshotrodmike has been a member for 9 full yearshotrodmike has been a member for 9 full yearshotrodmike has been a member for 9 full yearshotrodmike has been a member for 9 full yearshotrodmike has been a member for 9 full yearshotrodmike has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): hotrodmike
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3 V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • GM 4.3 Engine manual
    by Astrophile » February 8th 2017, 4:01pm in Engines
    1 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    February 8th 2017, 7:14pm
  • New engine advice
    by RonRod » April 6th 2017, 8:37pm in Engines
    52 Replies
    Last post by RonRod View the latest post
    May 22nd 2017, 10:09pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    June 26th 2017, 8:01am

Re: Overheated engine repair

Postby markmitch » June 19th 2017, 4:48am

either get the following done or do it yourself: compression test, cooling system pressure test and possibly a exhaust gas test this will tell you if you messed anything up or not. But first start it let it warm a few minutes then give it throttle gradualy towith the dog house off to listen for any sort of bearing rattling or knocking, if you hear any of these noises the engine is most likely junk and not much more then that. How far are you from Seattle? Get back to us with answers, You may be better off with a new or used replacement. Mark
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 442
Alias (AKA): Astro gearhead
Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS 350 TBI

Postby nonhog » June 19th 2017, 4:22pm

Any signs of water/oil mixing?
Recovering hoarder
Slow build..... viewtopic.php?f=127&t=107426
nonhog
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 17
Year: 1996
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

Postby chevymaher » June 20th 2017, 1:01am

If it runs right don't smoke and don't make bad noises knocking etc. Get a top end gasket set. while the heads are off look for clean cylinders. No carbon means it is getting water in it. Easy to trace. if it isn't a cracked head put it back together and good to go.

It is alot easier to see if it is alright once you can inspect individual parts once you have cleaned them. Leaking gaskets are obvious. The sealing portion that should be between metal surfaces. Block and head or intake and head. It is wet and black looking. It should be dry.

If you got it hot enough to warp it a little you think. Spray on some copperseal gasket sealer and torque it down a little extra. It be just fine.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 84
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby sixsix » June 20th 2017, 7:36pm

Moderators need to Quickly step in and stop this obvious "Posting Machine".

I mean ... really ... 11 posts in 9 years. TOO MUCH !!!
OK - LOL

Mike

ps: on a serious note - hope this Pesky Overheated Engine Thingie gets worked out - :driving:
The Van's Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=59385

"Though the hippopotamus has no sting, the wise man would prefer to be sat upon by the bee."
- Banacek

sixsix
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 3 full yearssixsix has been a member for 3 full yearssixsix has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): Mike
Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W-CPI Motor 200K