Seafoam - Good or bad?

Seafoam - Good or bad?

Postby alan2112drums [OP] » July 27th 2011, 5:44am

I have been reading many very informative threads to help me plan for future maintenance work. I came across a cleaner called "Seafoam" which, for the most part, gets good reviews. However, I wanted to hear what Safari/Astro owners have to say about it's effectiveness. Some claim Seafoam caused their vehicles to start leaking oil . They attribute this to cleaning too much gunk off seals that relied on the build up. Is this true? And if so, would it be better for a vehicle with 104K miles (that runs very smooth and doesn't leak) to stay away from Seafoam?
I am not a mechanic and do not plan on doing any work on my own. (I am a painter so getting dirty doesn't bother me). But I do like helping out and like to be informed so I have some idea of what is being done and what is best to do. I appreciate all the time and effort you members contribute to this forum. I just wish I could remember more of what I read!
Alan
Original Poster [OP]
alan2112drums
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: alan2112drums has been a member for 4 full yearsalan2112drums has been a member for 4 full yearsalan2112drums has been a member for 4 full yearsalan2112drums has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): Alan
Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Seafoam - Good or bad?

Postby ihatemybike » July 27th 2011, 11:20am

I've Seafoamed the fuel system in both my vans, cleared up a P0300 on Green. My wife does her fuel system Jeep about once a year. I've yet to try Seafoam in the oil.

Not being a mechanic shouldn't hold you back. These vans are fairly easy to work on, plus there is a wonderful support group with some (like me) even offering phone support.
Aaron

1999 Astro (Green - Daily Driver) - 2WD, 4.3L, 3.23, 220k+ miles, FE2 steering
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:97, 00, 94, 87, 86
ihatemybike
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: ihatemybike has been a member for 5 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 5 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 5 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 5 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 62

Postby paintdrying » July 27th 2011, 12:10pm

I do not see the harm in putting it in the gas tank. I personally do not pour solvents into my oil.
1999 chevy astro van awd ls 108,000 miles
parts van 2000 astro rwd 279,000 miles
paintdrying
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 3 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 3 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 94
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 108 000

Postby Phantom » July 27th 2011, 12:33pm

I have read where some people use it and feel they get good results , it may clear up some roughness , but myself have not used it to speak from personal experience . Other things I have read cause me to be leery of it , I think I would only use it on some old beater that would be ready for a new engine to seek test results before using it in any vehicle that I had high regard for , I am just not convinced that it is the way to go , most repair shops will diagnose what is the real cause of a problem and replace the components that are the true cause . I just don't believe in "fix in a can" type of repair , however sometimes there are cars that you know for certain the engine needs a rebuild and you are just hoping for a couple thousand more miles from the engine while you prepare your solution for future repair whether that means a new engine or just trade off the car for something else . I think that using in it the fuel tank and let it be consumed like any other gas additive would be ok , but then I already have a preference for that , but I don't think I would add it to oil . I don't dismiss anyone else who feels it worked for them , it may have , but I just prefer to find out more exactly what the root problem is and replace it .
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 15

Postby Leeann_93 » July 27th 2011, 12:56pm

I definitely wouldn't add it to the oil. I've put it in the gas, though I prefer Techron for that, and I put it in the PCV hose on the '93 Bravada after I fixed the fuel system leak - it cleaned out all the carbon and gook.

Somehow I don't think a 2002 would need that treatment, though.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD vin W - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD vin W - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Image Image
Leeann_93
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 21
Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3L AWD

Postby LEVE » July 27th 2011, 5:32pm

I've used Seafoam since the Mid-90's when I first came across it. I keep it on hand in my garage for varied uses (like freeing up a stuck electric fuel pump). I use it in all my vehicles:
  • 1993 Ford Ranger
  • 1983 Jeep CJ7
  • 1993 Chev Astro
  • 2005 Toyota Prius
as a preventative maintenance. Once or twice a year a can goes in the tank and cleans up the fuel system. It's cheap insurance. I've never dripped directly into the TBI to shock/break up carbon deposits on the pistons. I'm not a fan of that; sometimes carbon can loosen and it can lodge the valves. That keep the valves from closing all the way. Using it as a fuel treatment eliminates the problem and still clears out the carbon, only a little slower.

Do I put it in my oil? Nope.. but then I change my oil ever 2000 miles, so there's never a need to do this.
LEVE
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: LEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 18
Extra Info: AWD 4.3L-W

Postby RECox286 » July 27th 2011, 9:40pm

The only thing I put in my oil is Rislone. Enough to fill the filter when doing an oil change. I've done this with every engine I've ever maintained. Current engine came into the family with 25k mi, and now has
311k mi. 5k between oil and filter changes, and have never used any other oil except Valvoline 10w40. Must be OK, seems to still be working. As far as Seafoam goes, I would only put it in the fuel tank,
It is a real heavy duty detergent, and I wouldn't take a chance of disturbing any of the sleeping dogs that lie in the oil system. A better choice for an oil additive would be the Lucas product line. But why do
you think that you need an additive in the first place ? Is your engine doing bad things ? Or are you just getting caught up with advertisements ? Stick to short interval oil and filter changes, settle on one
weight and brand of oil and and use a new filter each and every time. I don't think you can do better than to follow this advise. (for what it is worth)

Good luck

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 31
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » July 28th 2011, 1:33am

I am with the not using it in the oil except with one exception.After my intake leak I fixed it.Well I kept losing oil pressure after about 1500 miles and was getting a greasy deposit on the dip stick.I researched and it said the results,web page is posted somewhere on this forum.That moisture mixed with oil can cause a catylist to be formed which breaks down the oil.And oil changes do not get it out.It a yellowish white substance which sticks to internal engine parts.When I took mine apart it was all over the inside of my valve covers.I let an oil change go 2500 miles pulled out the stick and it was white from end to end.I was thinking cracked head at that point.I put sea foam in the oil drove it home easily as the oil pressure immediately dropped 10 LBS,for a total of 8 miles changed the oil.Never have I had a oil pressure drop or moisture on the stick since that day.It will take moisture out of crankcase after you fix a catastrophic water leak. :layrubber:
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 3 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 3 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 60
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD cam ported

Postby rev_les » July 28th 2011, 4:19am

I prefer Lucas in the fuel, Seafoam makes a good de-carboning agent through a vacuum line ( ok, I dunno if it does much, but it makes one helluva smoke show, there's something to be said for that, especially if you want to annoy neighbors!). I used it in the oil ONCE, never again, but others report good things. My experience was that it either finished off eating up my OEM plastic lower intake manifold gaskets, or it ate up the gunk that was holding them together, either way, I ended up doing a lower intake reseal. :2:
Figure out the problem before buying parts
NRA Lifetime Member
2'nd amendment supporter
'13 Jeep Patriot
'01 Safari 150K 4.3 "W" 3.42's
'87 Monte Carlo SS
'79 Avco 32' RV
rev_les
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: rev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Les
Extra Info: LS 4.3 RWD

Postby tedanderson » July 28th 2011, 4:52am

I put it in my oil and not long afterwards, I was losing about a quart of oil every 3 days.

It destroyed my oil pan seal simply because the seal was already bad and the gook was keeping it intact. For me, it was still worth it because I'd rather replace a few seals in order to drive on a clean engine.

Also, I sucked it into the vacuum line and I was very satisfied with the results. Prior to sucking it in, the engine ran with a high idle and I was constantly fighting to keep the van still at traffic lights to the point where I had to shift it into park until the light turned green. After a few treatments, the van had a much calmer idle.
tedanderson
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 5 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 5 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 5 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 5 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 68
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan

Postby weather » August 10th 2013, 2:52am

I just seafoamed my 97 astro - put some in the oil as recomended, drove it 110 miles, wil change oil to ams oil tomorrow, but when I loked at my oil, it was still very clean and not black as some report it would be. I have 127k on the engine.

smoked some in my air intake, but not alotta smoke, like others, just some white smoke, so my guess is my engine was already pretty clean.
WW3 is coming! http://qwakeup.org
weather
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: weather has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA): weather
Year: 1997
Extra Info: Astro LT RWD