Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Easiest way to access alternator

940 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  swharris 
#1 ·
I have my Big 3 upgrade complete minus hooking up the alternator to battery. What is the easiest way to access the bolt that holds the power cable to the alternator? I have a 2000 4.3L and I took the airbox off and cannot even located the wire by looking on the alternator. If I remove the doghouse does it make it easier?

#3 ·
I know where it is. What I need to know is how to access that bolt so that I can upgrade the power wire smart ***. I looked at it, felt all around and cannot find it. So is it on the back? Pass side? If I remove the doghouse can I access it better if the wire is in the back?

If you read my post. I COULD NOT LOCATE THE WIRE BY LOOKING AT THE ALTERNATOR

#4 ·
If you remove the doghouse, you will see what looks like a rubber hood (to keep the water out ) on the back side of your alternator. The protector will have a wire

protruding from it. Carefully pry the protector off, and you will find what you are looking for; the wire connector and its hold down nut.

I find it easier to dismount the alternator, roll it around so I can see the backside, and then remove the connection. But that is just me, so, be my guest.

Does that answer the ??? ?

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.