Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Starting Issues 93 Astro

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  cowboydan 
#1 ·
Had problems starting the van out of nowhere, so I took it to the mechanic. They told me it was the distributor, and they could replace it for $250. I took It home, and replaced both the cap and rotor myself.
It seemed this was the problem, as the cap was in terrible shape, and the rotor was utterly black and in dismal shape. Once I replaced these parts, and had everything back together, I tried multiple times to repeat the starting issue, but it started up just fine every time.

Today, I was at a stoplight, when it just died. I threw it into park, and tried several times to start it back up. Finally after about 5 minutes, it started back up and I went on to work. After work, which was roughly 4 hours, it started up and I went to pick up dinner from a fast food place nearby. While ordering, it died again. No shuddering or anything, just went off like I'd turned off the key. We pushed it out to the parking lot, and I tried to start it up again, but to no avail. I waited 30 minutes, still nothing. So I left it there and got a ride home.

My father in law thinks it sounds like the fuel filter is clogged. Wanted to get some insight from the community. It might be prudent to note that it has been roughly 30 degrees in the day and low 20s at night. I usually let it run 10 Minutes before I drive it.

If you need to know anything let me know, and I'll try to answer quickly.

See less See more
#5 ·
No filter over radiator.

My father in law has a theory that it is possibly the fuel filter/relay. The van runs perfectly while driving, and sometimes even when parked. But usually when I'm stopped with my foot on the brake somewhere, it stalls. Only has done it twice thus far, since Thursday. The van did sit outside in the elements for a year with minimal driving. I was thinking filter, and currently we have no way to test the pressure (he's laid up after knee surgery, and I'm very new to this). I would prefer to handle it myself, instead of getting ripped off at a mechanic's($85 for labor alone), but as I've said...I'm very new to this.

Basically looking for other reasons just to make sure we have everything covered.

#7 ·
Okay, did some more testing on the van.

Sitting in drive, with my foot on the brake, it dies within 3 minutes. I start it back up and sitting in park, not touching any pedals, you can hear the engine sputter, and then rev. It did this 3 times within 10 seconds of each other, and then kept running until I turned it off.

Then, today, sitting in park after 2 minutes it died, and wouldn't restart.
After sitting for several hours, it starts up again.

I have also replaced the fuel pump relay, as the contacts on the old one were pretty bad. Still haven't replaced the fuel filter, as I don't really know how. I can change the spark plugs and wires, if necessary (however I am a little nervous about doing this).

Still no idea what's the root of the problem.

#8 ·
two things come to my mind, ignition module, and catalitic converter. crank sensor, fuel pump, but my moneys on the ignition module. if it dies take out the ignition module and get it teasted at your local parts store. this must be done when it fails to atleast eliminate it from the list. your not saying that the engine light is on so that already eliminates lots of sensors from the list. chevymaher listed the important fuel tests and such you need to do, so get at it and keep us updated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.