Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

May I Introduce The 4.3 Rebuild Bible!

43K views 58 replies 25 participants last post by  AstroWill 
#1 ·
Im not quite sure of where i came across this thing, but I can definitely not take the credit for this, im just gonna share my find, Im printing it now, cus im tired of being home tryinh to get the MurdaVan back on the streets. My very first car, my first rebuild, and boy is there some backstory for this van.But here, look through the whole thing and there isnt anything they missed on the 4.3.
:eek: :shock: :D

MODERATOR EDIT:
Broken dropbox link removed, often overlooked link from the middle of the thread added below:
http://www.kohlerpower.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp6103.pdf

B_k

#31 ·
Sorry if the manual disappeared from the link. Havent been on In quite some time. I do something to the van every day, the only woman ill ever love. Anyways, let me re-locate the pdf file and ill add a link to it again.

#32 ·
#39 ·
#41 ·
Thanks for all the repost. Looks like i got my self a new project due to my misfortunate events. Does any one have any idea how long this will take. I know it sounds crazy but i kinda want my original motor in my van but willing to drop something else in it in the mean time. I have the time and a huge can of can-do attitude. I just dont have a garage so ill be doing it out of a friends..... kinda looking for an overall timeframe in hours (not days, weeks, or months)

#43 ·
That dont sound too bad is this done as like an 8hr shift or part time after work or just all around the clock, im thinkin if i got this thing cracked open i might as well detail it too. But as i was reading more topics im noticing its gonna be costly rebuilding my motor so im thinking itll be awhile till my motor is gunna be ready...... blown motor realy blows! But i firguer the payoff will be great this van is mint other then some rust on the roof witch is an easy fix i just needed the weather to break to take care of it. But anyways looks like i got my research cut out for me so im just looking for as much insight and detailed information as i can get so i appreciate all ur help ive only replace full motors in cars never rebuilt but now sounds like a good time to learn i figuer my wife has a car n if i have to ill find some other beater to run to the ground. Are there any other books or "bibles" i should look into for this task? I Thought i was gunna be flying wit my homies chilton and haynes will watching u tube befor i saw this. Thank astrosafari.com....i mean god i saw a golden light behind the topic title while scrolling thru its started singing....

#44 ·
I can go through my thread and count hours. I basically worked over 8 hours the days I did. But there was plenty of down time waiting for parts.
I used my down time to port everything and put new studs in the exhaust.
Like your saying maintenance on things you normally can't get to easily.

I believe it was 3 days to get it out and about the same to go in.
But my van been totaled several times I know it pretty well, I have taken it apart on a regular basis. So there are no rusted stuck bolts, wondering how something comes apart, etc. etc.

#49 ·
Hello 96Blastro, Your link takes me to the correct page but it says 'the file you are looking for has been moved or deleted'. Sounds like great reference material. Any other way I can obtain it or do you have another link?

Ok I need to read more carefully!...found the new link further down the post!

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.