Low Idle and Stalling. 89 V6

Low Idle and Stalling. 89 V6

Postby ll0stryker0ll [OP] » June 26th 2013, 12:39am

Hi everyone, I have been lurking around for awhile and got allot of help here for my astro, but now i need some help.

Here is some history.
Had the van 5 years, kept it well maintained and in good shape. Had to replace the few odds and ends here and there, passed smog fine everytime.\

Then i developed a sudden intake manifold leak, bad times. After some research and getting my nerve up i decided to do it my self.
I marked and labeled everything, i did not bother to save any of the old vac lines, knowing i would replace them all. I have the book, and the vac line diagram both in the book and under the hood.

I ran into a few problems, i forgot to mark my distributor cap for TDC like a noob and had to mess with that for a week...
I als had the heater hose connection break off on me right in the manifold, fun times.

Anyway let me rundown what all i did.

Two months previous did a tune up, plugs, wires, PCV, air filter, O2 sensor.
Passed smog in Nov 2012
Late Dec 2012 The leak started, i stopped driving it and it sat until march 2013 while i fixed it up.

Replaced intake manifold gaskets.
EGR gasket. (same EGV valve, should replace?)
New heater house connector.
New Distributor and cap/gaskets.
I have gone though 4 Idle Air control sensors.
Valve covers gaskets.
I replaced all the Vac lines and made double sure all were hooked up correctly and with no leaks.
Drained and flushed oil and coolant.
New coolant.
New oil with Lucas
Topped off al other fluids with Lucas products where applicable.
Too much more to list all here.

Since then i have been driving it, it runs good under power and has good power, great gas mileage too.
But, when i come to a stop, it dies.
When i start it, and shift into drive or reverse, it dies.
When i turn on the heater, or Vent while parked, it dies.

What could it be? I'm at a total loss now, and i just want it to run right.
I tried another air control sensor today, it ran fine, just like how i was used to it before, but as soon as i got around the block and pulled into the driveway, before coming to a stop, it died.... again...

And one other thing i have been unable to figure out.
The first time i drove it after i gi *** running i noticed a bad rattle. Best way i can describe it is a higher pitched, metal rattle, like a vibration. It is most pronounced at a low RPM, say when i get to around 18MPH and hold the RPMS there right before it wants to shift.
It's also noticeable when going up a hill.
After a bit of looking around i found two bolts missing out of the lower metal housing that holds all the pumps, fan, alternator etc, the low left side was missing the two bolts into the upper tranny case, i got two bolts in there, and it's kind of better, but i can still here i bit of a rattle.

I'm not too, too worried about the rattle, i think something is just too loose or too tight there in front.
I really need to fix this dang stalling out problem, it is really annoying to say the least.

Just FYI, my next step is a mechanic at this point, i am stumped, any help any of you fine folk can give before i do that would be much appreciated.

Ask my any questions, i will be monitoring this thread daily.

Thank you all
Original Poster [OP]
ll0stryker0ll
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: ll0stryker0ll has been a member for 3 full yearsll0stryker0ll has been a member for 3 full yearsll0stryker0ll has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Drakontes
Year: 1988
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3l V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Low Idle and Stalling. 89 V6

Postby chevymaher » June 26th 2013, 1:07am

With the vent stalling it. That sounds like a vacuum issue.

It is a TBI? Sounds like the idle passage is blocked. Just dirty inside.

Cleaning and checking the EGR isn't a bad idea. Chunk of carbon causes havoc. Keeps it open.

Rattling. Get under it and start smacking on all the metal heat guards on the exhaust. They are pop riveted on. 2 of 4 connections rust loose it rattles like crazy. They are on the exhaust manifolds, cat. Mine has a monster one on the side of the transmission.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 78
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby ll0stryker0ll [OP] » June 26th 2013, 5:44am

Hey thanks for the info on the Exhaust guards, I had forgotten about that lol, I will run out in the morning and start smacking them :P

No, it is Carbureted.

I will go over the vac lines again and check/replace the EGR asap.

Thanks for the info chevymaher
Original Poster [OP]
ll0stryker0ll
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: ll0stryker0ll has been a member for 3 full yearsll0stryker0ll has been a member for 3 full yearsll0stryker0ll has been a member for 3 full years

Postby chevymaher » June 26th 2013, 6:10am

On a carb just set the idle up a little. A little magic balance where the engine idles in gear, But don't slam going into gear.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 78
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Leeann_93 » June 27th 2013, 3:29am

89 didn't come with a carburetor, it came with TBI. Does it have an older engine?
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD vin W - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD vin W - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Image Image
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 26
Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3L AWD

Postby ll0stryker0ll [OP] » June 29th 2013, 11:03pm

Hey guys again thanks for the reply's.
On the TBI/Carb engine my brain no longer wants to function, it's one of those things where of course, it's one or the other, and I know how to identify mine, but i've second guessed my self so much, i have forgotten LOL!

Here is a clear pic of my Engine, you tell me what kind it is lololol
I'm an idiot, it's a: 1989 Chevrolet Truck Astro Van 4.3L TBI 6cyl
BTW i have VIN checked the engine, the VIN comes back as a 1988.
The door sticker says 1989.

Ok, now here is what i have done the past few days.
One, i forgot to mention i have a good fuel filter on.

Ok, i visted the local junkyard and grabbed two more Idle Air control sensors. I drove on one for a day and got a check engine light so i swapped it out for another.
I have been experimenting with the spring adjustment when putting it in, and it only seems to be waaay to high a idle, or hear death. I am about to by a new one, but finances are tight for the weekend, so i will see what i can do.
Here is some more info. When the engine wants to almost die, if i put the air control on to Vent or Heater, it WILL die if i am in drive. AC and Bi Level, it actually gets better for a bit the revs go up a tad.
Strange huh.

As for the rattle, it is not the exhaust shield, which is loses BTW lol, but it is coming from the right side, when looking at it from the back, left side when looking at it from the front.
I am going to take a video right now and upload it someplace so you guys can look at it.
I took the valve cover off and had a look, nothing looked like it was knocking on anything. A few of the top of the (rocker arms?) were a tad loose so i gave them a sung crank with the socket wrench. This changed nothing.

When i can, i play on putting a new Air sensor, EGR, fuel filter, and will replace all the vac lines, i need two new tires though this weekend so that comes first.
Original Poster [OP]
ll0stryker0ll
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby ll0stryker0ll [OP] » June 30th 2013, 12:05am

Here is the video.
http://youtu.be/HuZr3HLxfL8
Original Poster [OP]
ll0stryker0ll
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby palochino » July 4th 2013, 6:55am

Have you resolved this issue. Although I'm new on this forum, but I have lots of experiense with my van.

I agree with Chevymaher. The stalling issue could be related to vaccum. You mentioned somewhere that during a/c on "vent/heater" stall; all other positions, no stall. Therefore, check on the famous vaccum line that goes to the heater core bypass. Also, did you re-install the vaccum check valve upon re-assembly?

The noise at a certain speed from your video (btw, cool that you did that video for troubleshooting purposes) sound internal. Maybe a loose rocker arm or push rod.

Good luck and let us know if you fixed it.
palochino
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: palochino has been a member for 3 full yearspalochino has been a member for 3 full yearspalochino has been a member for 3 full years
Year: 1990
Extra Info: LT 4.3L RWD FE3 G80