Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Loss of Power, Intermittent, Usually When Accelerating Hard

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Matrixx 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 Chevy Astro Cargo Van, 4.3L 6cyl RWD.

I have been having this problem for a month now. The problem is that the van loses power when accelerating hard, for example when trying to pass another car on the freeway, going uphill, and when driving on the streets as well. Sometimes it drives like normal, and then suddenly loses power when I accelerate hard. My mechanic has check numerous things on the car: Changed MAF from a salvaged van, fuel pressure good, cat seems fine it has no rattle no black smoke no backfire. there is a code that pops up for something wrong with the vacuum. the check engine and ses lights go on when problem occurs. and the problem occurs when the car is warmed up to operating temp, not when cold. What can cause this to occur?

o2 sensor? vacuum leak? fuel injectors? but i am thinking that if any of this is the problem, the engine would misfire, right? the engine does not misfire by the way.

I hope someone can help me with this. thanks to all.

#2 ·
Hi gexamb

Welcome to the Forum

If you can post the code that lights up every time this happens, then I'm sure we can steer you in the direction you need to be in to find it. Most auto parts stores can scan the vehicle for you for codes for a small fee or even free sometimes. Thanks.:)

#3 ·
I got a b0101 MAF sensor fault but I think I figured out the problem already. I took it for a spin but I really pushed it this time. I pushed to the point where it lost power, i kept accelerating at full throttle, and then I heard that famous sound, the cat was rattling like a harley almost. so im gona get it replaced and see what happens next. btw the cat would offset the MAF sensor fault IMO.

#8 ·
its passed it warranty, 92k mi. It got fixed tho. it was the cats in the end that was causing the problem. What the muffler guy did was cut off the small cat and welded on a straight pipe. He cut off the main bigger cat and replaced it with a magnaflow cat. its working pretty solid now. Problem vanished immediately. Thanks guys faor your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.