Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

cap for plugs

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  WoodButcher 
#1 ·
does anyone know what this is called: It is a cap of some sort that goes on the end of the spark plug that's in the engine so the spark plug will stay dry?

#4 ·
this cap goes on the end of the plug, It goes on part of the plug that goes into the combustion chamber. The guys at the chevy dealership were telling me about it but they could not remember what is was called its like a " coupler" for the plug. My one plug keeps getting saturated with oil and ey said this could help for a little while.

#6 ·
geeze, i haven't seen one of those in a few decades, forgot they existed.

those hold the plug back of the cylinder, bubble gum for a leaky boat.

so the plug is getting fouled do to excessive oil blow by?

#7 ·
Jasen said:
geeze, i haven't seen one of those in a few decades, forgot they existed.

those hold the plug back of the cylinder, bubble gum for a leaky boat.

so the plug is getting fouled do to excessive oil blow by?
My old firewood cutting 1985 f-150 would foul one sometimes, I put one of these in and for the last two years, no problems now.

I would rebuild the 302 2bbl. but I only put 300-400 miles a year on it so I can live with it & with my age what's the reason. :shrug:

#8 ·
Got ya. Real issue is plug fouling. Don't use that they are horrible. Close the gap up on the plug to 25 thou. It wont foul then. If it does then that engine needs to come apart pronto.
But generally it will prevent fouling and run right. It runs smooth and you wont notice a difference. Punch it and wind it out once a day to clear the cylinder of deposits. It will smoke through a gear or 2 then stop for the rest of the day.

#14 ·
I had an '87 Chevy Beauville 1/2 ton van w/ 305 before I got the Safari with that problem in 2 cylinders for the five years I had it. Here in CT we also have emissions testing and with new plugs it would always pass but in a couple months it would run like chit. Those spacers were suggested but they also need to be cleaned out every so often so that was out. I didn't want to have to bother with it, what's the point of using those if you need to clean them? might as well put in a new plug while I was in there.

I bought the next hotter plug and that worked for one of the two and the last finally worked with a plug 2 steps hotter. When I bought plugs for a tune up the parts guy would give me some squirrelly looks but I was back on a normal tune up routine again. Every 2 yrs right before inspection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.