Grinding rear end noise

Grinding rear end noise

Postby butch27 [OP] » April 28th 2009, 3:46am

Just started today as I was driving a grinding noise started in the rear end and is worse when I turn right. I have the '''''''''''''''''''''92 limited slip diff. and change grease and lube about every 16 months . Any Ideas? I pulled the rt. drum cause it sounded like a brake grinding- It wasn't. darn
Original Poster [OP]
butch27
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: butch27 has been a member for 5 full yearsbutch27 has been a member for 5 full yearsbutch27 has been a member for 5 full yearsbutch27 has been a member for 5 full yearsbutch27 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): butch27

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Grinding rear end noise

Postby astro355 » April 28th 2009, 4:11am

Well, if its coming from one side only, I would check the axle bearing after you know its not the brake setup. You will have to pull the cover off of the housing to remove the C-clips so you can pull the axle.

I guess either way you'll be doing some R&R work.

What kind of rear grease are you using? Additives?
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 57
Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby Rich W » June 3rd 2009, 3:48am

I've noticed the same grinding noise developing in my van as well. What was causing it on yours?
Rich W
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Rich W has been a member for 6 full yearsRich W has been a member for 6 full yearsRich W has been a member for 6 full yearsRich W has been a member for 6 full yearsRich W has been a member for 6 full yearsRich W has been a member for 6 full years

Postby nielswheels » June 3rd 2009, 4:52am

My Cargo Van is making a grinding noise on the back pass side. I am thinking it need a new Axel bearing. Anyone know how hard they are to put in???
2000 Astro RWD
2000 Astro RWD Cargo
nielswheels
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: nielswheels has been a member for 5 full yearsnielswheels has been a member for 5 full yearsnielswheels has been a member for 5 full yearsnielswheels has been a member for 5 full yearsnielswheels has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): nielswheels
Extra Info: RWD Cargo

Postby Gus_Mahn » June 13th 2009, 8:29pm

The axle is the inner race of the wheel bearing on c-clip style rear ends. It seems that the 7.625 10 bolt rearends in our vans have a history of issues with the hard surface on the axle flaking off. Once this starts, they get noisy quickly. If the noise goes away in a right had turn, the bad bearing is on the right side. Turning takes the load off the inside tires/bearing/axle, and usually the noise while go almost completely while tuning. I've had issue with this once, and my brother has twice(second time was a new GM axle that failed almost instantly. Both of us repaired ours successfully with junkyard axles and new bearings and seals. You need to pull the axle, inspect the race surface, if any pitting is present, replace the axle, bearing, and seal. Another note is that this sometimes start with a low fluid level caused by a bad pinion seal.

It's not a hard job, but it smells like crap and requires some specialty tools (bearing pull and seal/bearing driver). A full set of seal drivers is about $20 from Harbor Freight and the puller can be rented for free from Autozone. I use brakeclean and compressed air to clean out the housing. I never use a gasket on diff covers, only black or orange RTV silicone. The 7.625 has a drain slot in the housing that goes almost to the edge of the cover, so you do need to be careful that the silicone goes beyond this slot.

Here's a pretty good video showing how to get the axles out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqdmUPWpI9c
Gus_Mahn
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Gus_Mahn has been a member for 5 full yearsGus_Mahn has been a member for 5 full yearsGus_Mahn has been a member for 5 full yearsGus_Mahn has been a member for 5 full yearsGus_Mahn has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 10

Postby nielswheels » June 15th 2009, 2:22am

Turns out it was the rear end spider gears. I had it fixed at my local repair shop. much quieter now. Had the breaks done and the shocks changed at the same time. This $1000 Ebay find is now a $5000 Titanic!!! But....its running good now. I just hope the Tran and engine hold up.....the bank is closed on the Van! on a good not....we just took this 9 year old Astro Van on a trip from NYC to Porrtland Oregon to Dallas Tx to Wash DC ! Not one problem along the way!!! :clap:
2000 Astro RWD
2000 Astro RWD Cargo
nielswheels
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: nielswheels has been a member for 5 full yearsnielswheels has been a member for 5 full yearsnielswheels has been a member for 5 full yearsnielswheels has been a member for 5 full yearsnielswheels has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): nielswheels
Extra Info: RWD Cargo

Postby butch27 [OP] » June 15th 2009, 3:47am

No : Mine really sounds like a tire rubbing something when I turn right and it Sure sounds like rubber to metal??
Original Poster [OP]
butch27
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: butch27 has been a member for 5 full yearsbutch27 has been a member for 5 full yearsbutch27 has been a member for 5 full yearsbutch27 has been a member for 5 full yearsbutch27 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): butch27

Postby mattsrevenge » June 26th 2009, 2:54pm

my 96 had the axle problems, 76k, i forget the exact date, but it was around year 2000 or 2001. the axles pitted and started making grinding sounds from the rear end. my dad owned the van at the time and idk how much $ for repair, but it was rebuilt by a heavy truck repair shop, and have had no problems since (maybe they knew what they where doing! ...?).
96 astro conversion
98 crown vic p71
mattsrevenge
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: mattsrevenge has been a member for 6 full yearsmattsrevenge has been a member for 6 full yearsmattsrevenge has been a member for 6 full yearsmattsrevenge has been a member for 6 full yearsmattsrevenge has been a member for 6 full yearsmattsrevenge has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 8
Extra Info: 2wd conversion

Postby astro355 » June 26th 2009, 3:03pm

butch27 wrote:No : Mine really sounds like a tire rubbing something when I turn right and it Sure sounds like rubber to metal??

Are you sure its coming from the rear of the van?
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 57
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4