Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Plug in the plug, or not (*with pics)

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  tigerpwr 
#1 ·
I just removed my engine cover for the first time and I found this plug right by the driver side footwell.

What is it for and do I need to plug it in? Also the wire just below it is exposed and looks very frail.

I'm also doing: plugs, wires, rotor, cap, and air filter...anything else to check while the cover is off?

See less See more
#3 ·
Passenger side plug is a tap for a tach signal-don't worry about it.

Drivers side plugs...the round one with 1 wire is a knock sensor plug. The knock sensor should be on the block, near the starter. See if it plugged in. If it is, that plug is redundant(don't worry about it.) Although, if it wasn't plugged in, your service light would be on.
Can't think of what the square plug is for..possibly a/c?
The corroded wire looks like it is going to the coolant sensor. If your guage is reading OK, don't worry about it. Otherwise, get a new pigtail from GM.

Hope this helps.

#4 ·
gtk i right on the knock sensor and the coolant temp. and as far as the white one i dont know what it for but for what its worth my 87 had a/c and all that but that white plug wasnt used in my van...ever...Its all crusty and taped up and stuffed into the split loom...looks like a factory job too...

#6 ·
Hi tigerpwr

Can't believe I missed that burnt bare wire on the second picture you posted TP, sorry about that.:)

#7 ·
generaljake01 said:
gtk i right on the knock sensor and the coolant temp. and as far as the white one i dont know what it for but for what its worth my 87 had a/c and all that but that white plug wasnt used in my van...ever...Its all crusty and taped up and stuffed into the split loom...looks like a factory job too...
gtkane said:
Passenger side plug is a tap for a tach signal-don't worry about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.