Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Engine Removal 1997 Safari

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  cool95astro 
#1 ·
I am new to the Astrosafari forum - Hello from Canada! I am replacing an engine in my son's 1997 Safari van. The engine bottom end failed and loss oil pressure. I have read a few posts and have identied my van as one with a welding in radiator support. I need to know where to get the bracket for cutting the support. Any ideas? As I am a home DIY'er I am going to remove the engine through the front as I do not have a shop with a lift. How much do I have to take offf to get the engine out this way? Thx rich

#2 ·
Good Morning Rich and Welcome to our forum. We will all see if we can help you through your engine removal. I don't think they make a bracket to patch up the radiator support after you cut it. . There are members here that have taken the engine out the front and ones that have dropped the subframe so I am sure you will get quite a few opinions.Mine is an older model but this picture shows about how much you have to remove.

#4 ·
What about undoing the wiring harness and other connections unbolting the sub-frame and lifting the front of the van off. I've seen pics where people support the front of the van using an engine hoist and then wheel the sub-frame out from underneath.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.