This isn't an easy oil leak, is it?

This isn't an easy oil leak, is it?

Postby Clevis [OP] » March 16th 2014, 4:59pm

This van is completely new to me, so sorry I don't even know what the parts are called.
I did a lot of cleaning on the belly of the van, and traced the leak to here, it's kinda big, a couple good drips after only a short test ride, and lost almost 2 qts in 3000 miles (I am guessing).
Where I am pointing there's a ton of RTV spilling out. Records show intake manifold gasekts were done at 100k, i am guessing this is a remnant of that job and as difficult to get to?
How would you fix this leak? I am prepping the van for a 4000 mile camping trip, so I can't be riding around on a potential disaster. Is there a gasket that should be there that the kinda tried to silicone there way around?
Original Poster [OP]
Clevis
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Clevis has been a member for 2 full yearsClevis has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 14
Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 140k

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: This isn't an easy oil leak, is it?

Postby WoodButcher » March 16th 2014, 5:24pm

There is no gasket there. When the intake is done that location front and back is meant to be "dammed" or bridged with RTV. The intake manifold gasket is actually 2 parts one on each head and the intake spans the valley. I don't know if that can be cleaned well enough to be fixed w/o removal of the intake.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 28
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 RWD

Postby norohs » March 16th 2014, 10:24pm

To the left of your finger is the oil pressure sensor/sender. It looks like it could be leaking where it screws into the block.

oil sensor leak 1.jpg

It's common for them to leak, especially after replacing the lower intake manifold gaskets. It has to be unscrewed to get the intake off. Reseating the tube to the block can be tricky because it's only installable in one position, so that the sensor can face the direction it's in now. Either it could use another turn of threads or it needs to be re-dressed with teflon tape and RTV. Mine had to be done twice too when I changed the engine. I've since had it off twice and learned my lesson. The treads now get lots of teflon tape... more than I thought would be enough. No more leaks.
norohs
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: norohs has been a member for 3 full yearsnorohs has been a member for 3 full yearsnorohs has been a member for 3 full years
Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS RWD 196K 3rd eng

Postby Clevis [OP] » March 18th 2014, 4:15pm

AAAAhhhh I thought I responded again, where'd my post go? It must be right next to the last screwdriver I had in my hand, I can't find that either.
Well I watched the leak "in action" and I am pretty sure it's not from the sensor, I am seeing good drips from the RTV slab where I was pointing. I was looking at images online where the block and intake manifold mate, to kinda get an idea if I could do a cheap fix, without pulling the manifold, and it struck me that there's no pressure line or real passage there to be shoving out a bunch of oil. SO why is it leaking a teaspoon in a short dirve? I am wondering if I am building up too much pressure and it's being forced out, along with oil from that seal. Next thing I am investigating is the EGR. Stuck valve, clogged? have some research to do.
Original Poster [OP]
Clevis
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Clevis has been a member for 2 full yearsClevis has been a member for 2 full years

Postby Clevis [OP] » March 18th 2014, 5:24pm

norohs- I was looking at some other images and I can see that sensor isn't just on top of the manifold, but travels all the way through...to the block...like you originally wrote but I didn't quite grasp it. Yes, I need to check that bad boy out first! A leak there where the pressure exists would send it squishing out to where I see the wet point, thanks! :thumbup:
Original Poster [OP]
Clevis
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby Clevis [OP] » March 19th 2014, 4:20am

Also, my guess at EGr valve may be wrong? I was trying to guess what's the same as a crankcase breather on a motorcycle. Which is my only real experience. Looks like maybe what I meant is the PCV valve.
It looks like you can just block off an EGR with no major problems?
Original Poster [OP]
Clevis
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby Clevis [OP] » March 25th 2014, 4:13am

Win! Turns out it was really easy. I cleaned it up with brake cleaner and shot some more RTV in it the gap, the gap was big I could slide the red straw from the brake clean straight through to the crankcase. I let it cure 24 hrs to be sure..and took it out for a 30 mile test drive, it would usually leak a teaspoon under that distance drive. So unless it fails again, I am freakin happy :)
Anyways just an update while I try to get this van in trip shape
Original Poster [OP]
Clevis
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby WoodButcher » March 25th 2014, 12:32pm

Good to hear, not often an intake leak is repaired so easily.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 28
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 RWD

Postby Clevis [OP] » March 25th 2014, 3:58pm

Thanks I lucked out, it wasn't near the intake manifold gaskets or anything, so I think Im safe
Original Poster [OP]
Clevis
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)