Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

GMC Safari 4.3 1987

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Skiff 
#1 ·
Hello Astro/Safari fans!

At first sorry for my English :) I am from Kiew, Ukraine. But I hope it will be no problems :)
I received GMC Safari from my grandfather. This car in our family from 1993.

car was 3 years on the parking and I started to reanimate it.
But first problem with High engine speed by idle.
I think it is something wrong with TPS or IAC sensor? It is possible, how can I check it? Where I can find IAC Sensor? It is possible to repair this both sensors?
I hope for your answers!

Till now I repaired only: MAP Sensor, breaks, problem with oil in transmission etc...

Thank you in advance!

#2 ·
Dobre Utra, Skiff,

You probably have a buildup of carbon, etc in the passages of the throttle body. Do a general cleaning

of the inside as best you can. Then, remove and clean any carbon build up, as best you can, from the

IAC and its' related passages in the Throttle Body. Replace the sensor and see if that makes any difference.

One thing at a time ! It wouldn't hurt to run some Injector cleaner through the fuel system, and replace the

fuel filter. What type of fuel has the truck been given ? Ethenol, regular petrol (unleaded) or some other

product ? Do you have access to unleaded regular fuel and products such as Lucas or other brands ?

Uncle Bob

#4 ·
RECox286 said:
Dobre Utra, Skiff,

You probably have a buildup of carbon, etc in the passages of the throttle body. Do a general cleaning

of the inside as best you can. Then, remove and clean any carbon build up, as best you can, from the

IAC and its' related passages in the Throttle Body. Replace the sensor and see if that makes any difference.

One thing at a time ! It wouldn't hurt to run some Injector cleaner through the fuel system, and replace the

fuel filter. What type of fuel has the truck been given ? Ethenol, regular petrol (unleaded) or some other

product ? Do you have access to unleaded regular fuel and products such as Lucas or other brands ?

Uncle Bob
Thanks a lot Uncle Bob,
Unfortunately web-links which you wrote not found.
Do you have some video or photos haw I can do the cleaning by the throttle body? Or manual?
I will try to find another sensors in Kiev, but we have a big problem with parts for Americans cars (price, shipping, etc...)
Which one Injector cleaner you can recommend, for example?
I refuel with normal petrol (76-92 octane number/value by "Shell") and I test car on petrol, but I have LPG(Gas) too.
I think I found some Infos about cleaning:

and for TPS
http://www.ehow.com/about_5645681_gm-th ... blems.html
Important is:
Maladjusted TPS
If GM TPS sensors have any inherent flaws, it is a tendency to slip out of adjustment. Though this can happen to any car, many GM owners have reported such a failure. The TPS must be adjusted (rotated) so that it reads idle and full-throttle positions properly, or it may appear to be malfunctioning. Try adjusting the TPS before replacement to save a few dollars.
I am on right way?

Thank you in advance!

#6 ·
What is the VIN code (bottom of windscreen, driver's side) ?

87 could be either TBI or Carb. Eighth character of VIN:

Z = TBI

X = Carb

Uncle Bob

#9 ·
You could try "RockAuto.com" ... But, IDK if they ship overseas to Ukraine, however

Their policy states they do ship some items to Europe. Contact them directly with

any questions you may have. A lot of the people here use them for their needs, and

feel they are one of the best, if not the best, partshouse with which to deal.

Uncle Bob

#11 ·
So, I'm in Kiev.
First problem was transmission:full rebuild, master kit etc...
Next problem was high engine speed by idle. I order the rebuild kit for TBI from USA and timing chain- hope TBI rebuild will help me in this case.
What can I do more?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.