how much does it cost (labor) to get a engine intalled?

how much does it cost (labor) to get a engine intalled?

Postby webcat [OP] » December 3rd 2009, 4:14am

I been wanting a fresh 305 vortec in my 1996 express van but i dont have a place to install it and i dont have a engine hoist no more .
Anybody know the going rate for labor , My van is all stock and i just wanted to get a new engine which would also be stock because i dont want to deal with the tuning issues ,
With my modified dash it should make it easier for them to work on it , i know that wont bring the price down , just mentioning that in case anyone on here lives close and wants to make some easy money!
Original Poster [OP]
webcat
Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: webcat has been a member for 6 full yearswebcat has been a member for 6 full yearswebcat has been a member for 6 full yearswebcat has been a member for 6 full yearswebcat has been a member for 6 full yearswebcat has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 252
Alias (AKA): Larry aka Rambo
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: g10 5.7L vortec

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: how much does it cost (labor) to get a engine intalled?

Postby Gary » December 3rd 2009, 4:37am

If it where me doing it and it was just a customer(not someone I knew or from here)min of $675.00 to $900.00 plus parts.You shopping the job,I suggest you need to consider whoever does it,that you hire a guy or shop that has done it a number of times before and really knows what they are doing.
ImageImageImage

Keeping it real.
Gary
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 124
Extra Info: high top

Postby Mr_Bowtie » December 3rd 2009, 4:41am

If I lived closer I would loan ya my garage for a weekend. I don't have the tools to do that job either though.

Whats wrong with the motor thats in there? Couldn't you put it back to Vortec instead of TBI that it has on it now to avoid the tuning issues? Unless I got your Van confused with another? :think:
'96 Astro AWD 206K miles!
31" tires LIFTED 4" total with tires! SOLD! :(
Mr_Bowtie
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 69
Alias (AKA): Nick
Year: 1996
Extra Info: Lifted AWD

Postby Jasen » December 3rd 2009, 4:47am

Google crate motors or rebuilt motors+ your city. You might find a place that not only rebuilds engines but also does install.
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 261
Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby webcat [OP] » December 3rd 2009, 5:57am

Mr_Bowtie wrote:If I lived closer I would loan ya my garage for a weekend. I don't have the tools to do that job either though.

Whats wrong with the motor thats in there? Couldn't you put it back to Vortec instead of TBI that it has on it now to avoid the tuning issues? Unless I got your Van confused with another? :think:

I have a 1996 G10 all stock vortec with multipoint fuel injection , i did at one time put a TBI intake on it just experimenting to see how well it would work but i ended up cleaning up all my multi point fuel injection stuff and putting it back on .
Mr_Bowtie , You can change a engine in a weekend ?
it took me about a week to install a longblock in my old G30 ! I'm no pro though , spent alot of time figuring things out !
Whats wrong with the motor thats in there? Well , when i was shopping for a van alot of them that i was looking at had around 100,000 miles on them and were kinda expensive (around $8000) also they had alot of stuff i did'nt need like seats and old carpet , so i decided for that kind of money i could get a old van that i could fix up and get a newer engine , i found exactly what i was looking for , 1996 G10 rear wheel drive , hightop , and really high miles that brought the price down , what i really wanted was a brand new 2009 conversion 0 miles but they go for about $35000---$55000 but since i'm poor i plan to build one.
When i bought mine i did'nt even look under the hood because i planned to get a new engine in it anyway , i wanted 0 miles , i normally would take it for a nice long test ride but i figured as long as i could get it home i would be happy , i was looking at it like i was buying the van without the engine for $2200
After i got it home the first thing i found is that it did'nt want to start sometimes , figured out that the check valve in the fuel pump was bad , replaced that and all was good , then i noticed a intake leak out the rear and checked my oil for coolant but all was good with the oil , I was suprised how well that old engine ran , started making me think mayby i should just put intake gaskets on it and keep the engine i have , so i changed my intake gaskets and while i had the intake off i decided to experiment and try to put my TBI system on the Vortec (had to get a special intake manifold) all in all it worked out and run pretty good considering i was using the stock memcal chip , figured out the Felpro 1255 intake gaskets were leaking and also figured out that i dont want to spend alot of time trying to make a custom prom chip so i tore it down and instead of putting the TBI back on i decided the multipoint fuel injection will work out better , also noticed a sound coming from the engine sometimes when i was giving it throttle and the engine had alot of torqe on it , whenever i heard the noise (sounded like two metal trash cans lids scrapeing together ) i would look at my oil psi gauge but all looked good , i dont have a clue what thats about but i know i dont want to waste my time with this engine , there may not be anything wrong with it but i dont want to spend no time on it since its got 130,000 miles , i want one with 0 miles
Last edited by webcat on December 3rd 2009, 6:09am, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster [OP]
webcat
Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Years of Membership: webcat has been a member for 6 full yearswebcat has been a member for 6 full yearswebcat has been a member for 6 full yearswebcat has been a member for 6 full yearswebcat has been a member for 6 full yearswebcat has been a member for 6 full years

Postby webcat [OP] » December 3rd 2009, 6:04am

Jasen wrote:Google crate motors or rebuilt motors+ your city. You might find a place that not only rebuilds engines but also does install.

I'm thinking about buying a stock GM crate engine .
Original Poster [OP]
webcat
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Postby evil_motors » December 4th 2009, 1:23am

get on craigslist most guys around here will do it for $250
1992 GMC Safari XT , Rhinolined interior, Fatmat walls and celing, Racing seats, Satin Black Dash, Taplock, Clear Corners, Check out my continuing thread with all my mods and lots of pictures.
http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3769
evil_motors
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: evil_motors has been a member for 5 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 5 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 5 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 5 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 26
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: XT RWD

Postby astro355 » December 4th 2009, 3:32am

evil_motors wrote:get on craigslist most guys around here will do it for $250

In one of these vans, that's nuts!

And yes, when I did my neighbor's astro, it took two days and that was with some other stuff that needed to be done. You just have to have a little practice is all.
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 57
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby Mr_Bowtie » December 4th 2009, 3:35am

I think with a couple guys and just swapping the same motor, same fuel injection system, and same everything that it would be a easy weekend project. Of course you have to have everything you need on hand at that moment cause thats what usually slows the process down the most. I haven't swapped a motor out in a few years though and no longer have a cherry picker or air tools. :banghead:
Mr_Bowtie
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full years

Postby Jasen » December 4th 2009, 4:06am

Webcat, you can probably find a better deal from a reman outfit. Theres one here that rebuilds early and late model motors and many of them have a 7/70K warranty, and offer all kinds of upgrades in power from stock to 600 HP.
4.3 V6 1996 - 1999 Performance Engine 50 More H.P. $1,795
5.7 1996 - 2002 300 h.p. uses less fuel than stock engines $2,095
5.7 LT1 $2,295
5.7 Corvette LS1 $2,295
5.7 Corvette LS6 $2,695

In case you wanna poke around
http://usengine.us/
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 261
Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby Gary » December 4th 2009, 4:39am

astro355 wrote:
evil_motors wrote:get on craigslist most guys around here will do it for $250

In one of these vans, that's nuts!

And yes, when I did my neighbor's astro, it took two days and that was with some other stuff that needed to be done. You just have to have a little practice is all.

I agree-if ya get a guy to do that for $250.....................well got to wonder how much the redo's would cost afterward.LOL. :banana: :doh: :rofl:

The last one I did in my shop(when I still had the shop that is)we took it out the front because it was a early model and I remember to get the cherry picker under the cowl I had the rear bumper almost on the ground.It's not that hard of a swap-but still worth more than min wages or less per hr.

Funny thing about hiring labor,best to get quality with tools and equipment and most of all knowledge.

Do it once and do it right.

Get in writing-guarantees of the labor and coverage of the same if any problem comes up.

I owned a Reman brand name 350 in a cube van I had.Sorry guys,but my experience with them is they are purely JUNK.I wouldn't buy a lawnmore engine from them.That seems to be the same opinion all the repair shops owners have around here that I know of.
ImageImageImage

Keeping it real.
Gary
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 124
Extra Info: high top

Postby evil_motors » December 4th 2009, 3:27pm

yeah thing is alot of mechanics around here are hurting for work so they are very competitive for jobs on craigslist. One guy even does engine swaps for traded items.
1992 GMC Safari XT , Rhinolined interior, Fatmat walls and celing, Racing seats, Satin Black Dash, Taplock, Clear Corners, Check out my continuing thread with all my mods and lots of pictures.
http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3769
evil_motors
Years of Membership: evil_motors has been a member for 5 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 5 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 5 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 5 full yearsevil_motors has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 26
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: XT RWD

Postby Mr_Bowtie » December 5th 2009, 4:14am

In this economy everybody is doing everything to stay ahead. Craigslist is a great way to see just how bad the economy is.....cars are cheaper, people are selling stuff off, and people are doing things for cash. Dam economy! :banghead:
Mr_Bowtie
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby webcat [OP] » December 5th 2009, 6:14am

Jasen wrote:Webcat, you can probably find a better deal from a reman outfit. Theres one here that rebuilds early and late model motors and many of them have a 7/70K warranty, and offer all kinds of upgrades in power from stock to 600 HP.
4.3 V6 1996 - 1999 Performance Engine 50 More H.P. $1,795
5.7 1996 - 2002 300 h.p. uses less fuel than stock engines $2,095
5.7 LT1 $2,295
5.7 Corvette LS1 $2,295
5.7 Corvette LS6 $2,695

http://usengine.us/

Yea , thanks , lots to choose from!
Original Poster [OP]
webcat
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Postby webcat [OP] » December 8th 2009, 9:57am

http://usengine.us/[/quote]

Yea nice! They dont mention nothing about cores , i'll have to give em a call .
Original Poster [OP]
webcat
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Postby Bertscova » December 9th 2009, 6:00am

Have you heard of Jasper remanufactured engines. From what I've heard they are the best on the market and there warrenty on there engines is "Completes and Special Completes for Cars and Trucks 3 Years or 100,000 Miles Parts + Labor." here is a link to the catalog. To get the price on your engine just fill in the blanks.

http://webapp.jasperengines.com/netcust/catalog.asp

This is a Jasper engine approved installer should be near you
LIVINGSTONS AUTOMOTIVE
5304 SW 9TH ST
DES MOINES, IA 50315
515-287-1372

Hope this helps
Horsies sell cars Torque wins races
1990 2wd Astro Van
1990 5.7 TBI w/roller cam upgrade
1.6 roller tip rockers
700R4
Stock Distributor w/ Upgraded electronics
Bertscova
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Bertscova has been a member for 6 full yearsBertscova has been a member for 6 full yearsBertscova has been a member for 6 full yearsBertscova has been a member for 6 full yearsBertscova has been a member for 6 full yearsBertscova has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 54
Alias (AKA): Bert
Extra Info: TBI 5.7 Roller

Postby webcat [OP] » December 9th 2009, 6:16am

Bertscova wrote:Have you heard of Jasper remanufactured engines. From what I've heard they are the best on the market and there warrenty on there engines is "Completes and Special Completes for Cars and Trucks 3 Years or 100,000 Miles Parts + Labor." here is a link to the catalog. To get the price on your engine just fill in the blanks.

http://webapp.jasperengines.com/netcust/catalog.asp

This is a Jasper engine approved installer should be near you
LIVINGSTONS AUTOMOTIVE
5304 SW 9TH ST
DES MOINES, IA 50315
515-287-1372

Hope this helps

My sister used to date that guy , when he was young he was a motorcycle mechanic at the big motorcycle dealership , my dad had a really long driveway and he raced his motorcycle down the drive really fast and right when he got to the end he somehow pulled it up kinda like he was doing a wheelie and jumped off the back and landed on his feet and reved the engine real loud , it was insane!!!!
Original Poster [OP]
webcat
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Postby Leeann_93 » December 9th 2009, 11:21pm

Just a cautionary note on Jasper engines: the bf's brother is a marine mechanic and he won't install Jasper engines in boats - says they cost him no end in labor because they're not remanned well (or right).
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD vin W - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD vin W - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Image Image
Leeann_93
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 22
Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3L AWD

Postby webcat [OP] » December 10th 2009, 12:05am

Leeann_93 wrote:Just a cautionary note on Jasper engines: the bf's brother is a marine mechanic and he won't install Jasper engines in boats - says they cost him no end in labor because they're not remanned well (or right).

After reading what you wrote , i GOOGLED "Jasper engines any good" found alot of horror stories .
I would have never guessed that there engines are crap , seems alot pro techs refuse to use Jasper engines.
Thanks leeann
Original Poster [OP]
webcat
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Postby Leeann_93 » December 10th 2009, 12:23am

No problem. You don't need to buy more headaches, you know?
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD vin W - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD vin W - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Image Image
Leeann_93
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 22
Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3L AWD

Next