Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Little rough idle

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  catbones 
#1 ·
So my van once again developed a little rough idle... Nothing major I guess but it just like a little vibration or a hope. I'm thinking possible a plug going since I have yet replace them since I purchased it. I'm afraid of doing it because of how hard the reach is. Maybe it's something else... Anyone else ever had this ? Happens every couple seconds. Everything else is awesome

#2 ·
My own thoughts would be to start with the basics. Based on a combination of mileage, known history, driving style and common-sense preventative maintenance, I would start ruling things out one-at-a-time 'til I got to the root of the problem. Fuel filter would be a good place to start if you've never changed it followed by a doghouse-off visual/tactile inspection. You know...PCV (they ARE cheap, after all), vacuum lines, oil leaks, cap/rotor inspection etc....get the idea? And whether you tackle the plugs yourself or hire the job out, it sounds to me like you've already come to the conclusion that they are probably tired anyway. What you've described could be caused by a lot of different things (INCLUDING some that I haven't mentioned here) so my basic thought is to catch up on your maintenance IF it's needed and then see where you're at from there!
-Mike-

Ok..EDIT/UPDATE; I went back and read some of your other posts (as I probably SHOULD have done BEFORE replying.. :dunce: duh) and it sounds like you've been on this expressway before, albeit maybe in a different lane LoL. Obviously you have a scan tool or access to one so I wonder what, if any, insight that scanning for codes may have had to offer? Everything else I previously suggested would still apply but obviously you can ignore anything that you've already addressed or ruled out. And neither O2 sensor has ever thrown you a code? Interesting..... :confused:

#3 ·
Astrofarian said:
My own thoughts would be to start with the basics. Based on a combination of mileage, known history, driving style and common-sense preventative maintenance, I would start ruling things out one-at-a-time 'til I got to the root of the problem. Fuel filter would be a good place to start if you've never changed it followed by a doghouse-off visual/tactile inspection. You know...PCV (they ARE cheap, after all), vacuum lines, oil leaks, cap/rotor inspection etc....get the idea? And whether you tackle the plugs yourself or hire the job out, it sounds to me like you've already come to the conclusion that they are probably tired anyway. What you've described could be caused by a lot of different things (INCLUDING some that I haven't mentioned here) so my basic thought is to catch up on your maintenance IF it's needed and then see where you're at from there!
-Mike-

Ok..EDIT/UPDATE; I went back and read some of your other posts (as I probably SHOULD have done BEFORE replying.. :dunce: duh) and it sounds like you've been on this expressway before, albeit maybe in a different lane LoL. Obviously you have a scan tool or access to one so I wonder what, if any, insight that scanning for codes may have had to offer? Everything else I previously suggested would still apply but obviously you can ignore anything that you've already addressed or ruled out. And neither O2 sensor has ever thrown you a code? Interesting..... :confused:
Thanks man for helping out. Yeah, I have yet to run a scanner on it.. it just pretty much started a day or two, I wouldn't completely call it rough idle but it's like it skips a beat every few seconds or a minute. In my last run at this I've pretty much replaced half of the things you've mentioned besides PCV. I never got an O2 sensor code or anything last time, but I will do a scan tonight and see if anything.

I was thinking more about it and maybe my belt slips with the AC on... my tensioner squeaks like crazy, might try with that... I do have a leak at the back of the CAT where the connection happens, gasket is just chewed through and leaking plus missing 2 bolts. That will also be replaced when I get a chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.