Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Engine swap

12K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  tedanderson 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm a new guy here. I just picked up a 2000 astro with a bad motor, (a oil cooler line disconnected
it self from the radiator). I see that the engine comes out from the bottom, is there a good write-up
on this, or a manual that explains the procedure? Also what year engines would be a direct fit?
Thanks, Mike

#2 ·
Welcome! You would have to search the board, but its been talked about before of how you can cut the front radiator support and pull the engine out the front. Gen 1 Vans actually have a removable front support....I think there was a company making bracket for the Gen 2 Vans if you do cut the support. See if I can't find it. :D

#4 ·
Hey Mike, Good Luck and keep us posted. Oh and one other thing. At the end of your engine replacement, Don't be that guy that says WOW I COULDA HAD A V8. Jim

#5 ·
astroturf said:
Hey Mike, Good Luck and keep us posted. Oh and one other thing. At the end of your engine replacement, Don't be that guy that says WOW I COULDA HAD A V8. Jim
OK Jim.Here is the test.LOL.Tell him,no tell all of us,what he needs to swap a V8 into a 2000 Astro van.

<Guys no help here!!!>Let Jim explain.

Your up Jim,go.................

BTW-might want to include what it is going to cost. :shifty:

#6 ·
Gary said:
astroturf said:
OK Jim.Here is the test.LOL.Tell him,no tell all of us,what he needs to swap a V8 into a 2000 Astro van.

Well gee Gary you are on fire tonight. Meds not kicked in yet? But seeing as I'm just a misinformed poster of bad info. I'll let you have the honors. Do you think you can pass your own test? I'll tell you like my 5th grade teacher told me: The only thing you'll pass will be gas. Your Dearest Son, Jim

Oh and PS: I already took out the trash.

#7 ·
astroturf said:
Gary said:
astroturf said:

Well gee Gary you are on fire tonight. Meds not kicked in yet? But seeing as I'm just a misinformed poster of bad info. I'll let you have the honors. Do you think you can pass your own test? I'll tell you like my 5th grade teacher told me: The only thing you'll pass will be gas. Your Dearest Son, Jim

Oh and PS: I already took out the trash.
Now this reply makes sense.First thing anyone in your position does is attack the person asking the question.

Well grasshopper all in due time......Huh. :banghead: :rofl: :rofl: :2:

#8 ·
Guys, let cut out the crap. If you can't, take it to PMs.

To the OP, there is a lot of information about this on here. Yes, the subframe does need to be dropped to remove the engine. In 1st generation vans (85-94), the engine can be removed thru the front. The 2nd generation vans have a one piece radiator support preventing this. And even if you do "cut" the upper section of the radiator support, the support is also narrower making it a difficult job.

Dropping the subframe will look something like this:

#12 ·
Mike 25
Welcome to A/S.
There is a ton of info on here for dropping your motor, as well as knowledgeable people that have taken it a step or two further.

#13 ·
Hay Bud,I did a search on www.car-part.com which is a site for junk yards.What I found is listings for your van starting at 2000 and up,but mostly 2000 and 2001.Where a search like this falls apart is your never sure if that is all that is available or that is all that fits your van with the computer controls your 2000 van has.I suggest you find a junk yard that you trust and call them to have them look it up in their interchange books.It might be just a starting point for you.Best case would be to find another van/truck the same yr and type with low miles and say maybe has a blown tranny or rearend or rearend crash victim.That way beyond just the engine,you could cherry pick parts off it and then parts sell off the rest to recoup some of your costs.

Please update us on your progress and I am sure tons of guys here will help out. :thumbup:

#14 ·
^A parts Van would be ideal!
I would think any 2nd gen Vortec 4.3L would drop in there with very little to change...whether its from a Astro/Safari/S10/1500 series truck/Blazer/Jimmy? :think: :shrug:

#16 ·
Mike25 where in the world of AstroSafaris are you located? I'm really good at craigslist searching if you need another set of eyes looking for a motor for you! :rockon:

#17 ·
Gary said:
Hay Bud,I did a search on http://www.car-part.com which is a site for junk yards.What I found is listings for your van starting at 2000 and up,but mostly 2000 and 2001.Where a search like this falls apart is your never sure if that is all that is available or that is all that fits your van with the computer controls your 2000 van has.I suggest you find a junk yard that you trust and call them to have them look it up in their interchange books.It might be just a starting point for you.Best case would be to find another van/truck the same yr and type with low miles and say maybe has a blown tranny or rearend or rearend crash victim.That way beyond just the engine,you could cherry pick parts off it and then parts sell off the rest to recoup some of your costs.

Please update us on your progress and I am sure tons of guys here will help out. :thumbup:
At what price point Gary? Your opinion Please. Jim

Edit: With my driving mine about 30,000 a year. I figure I better start researching and saving. Thanks Again. Jim

#18 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I'm in the Detroit area. I'm planning on pulling the motor this week,and disassembling it for a possible rebuild.

Jasen said:
Mike 2Welcome to A/S.
There is a ton of info on here for dropping your motor, as well as knowledgeable people that have taken it a step or two further.
I've yet to find it...............

Mr_Bowtie said:
I would think any 2nd gen Vortec 4.3L would drop in there with very little to change...whether its from a Astro/Safari/S10/1500 series truck/Blazer/Jimmy? :think: :shrug:
I also thought that.
According to the junk yards (car-part.com) a 2000 takes a 2000 year only engine. Engine casting # 14099090 M, M is for metric.

#19 ·
mike25 said:
Thanks for the info guys. I'm in the Detroit area. I'm planning on pulling the motor this week,and disassembling it for a possible rebuild.

Jasen said:
Mike 2Welcome to A/S.
I've yet to find it...............
What exactly are you looking?

mike25 said:
Mr_Bowtie said:
I also thought that.
According to the junk yards (car-part.com) a 2000 takes a 2000 year only engine. Engine casting # 14099090 M, M is for metric.
The reason car-part.com says that is they are going off of exact details between the years. A 2000 or newer block will work in your van if you are willing to swap intakes, sensors, etc. The short block will basically be the same.

#21 ·
tedanderson said:
So let me get this straight- (and I promise to look at the other thread) You mean I can do Gen 2 engine swap by pulling the subframe in lieu of cutting the radiator support and pulling it through the front? It seems like it would be easier.
Absolutely, I thought that point was already made clear in your thread. Please refer to that picture that I post when I pulled the engine out at the local pick and pull.

#23 ·
After doing some extensive research, (thanks to all that have contributed to the forum) I am going to do an engine replacement on a 99 that I am about to acquire. At first I was going to use it as a parts car but being that the engine is the only major problem with it, I am going to do the replacement. So far, I understand that in order to drop the subframe, I will need to do the following:

1. Use a lift to make things easier.
2. Use some sort of stand or platform for the subframe to rest on.
3. Disconnect the radiator.
4. Disconnect the wiring harness.
5. Disconnect the brake lines.
6. Remove the steering linkage.
7. Pull the drive shaft
8. Rest the subframe part of the van on the platform, unbolt the subframe from the body and then lift the body off of the subframe.

In lieu of that I have a few questions:

Is there anything else that I need to know or that I am overlooking? Also, how heavy is this assembly with the engine and trans attached to it? Do I need an engine hoist in order to move it around or can it be easily lifted by a couple guys? Would moving the subframe around be manageable if I put the tires on it and pushed or pulled it like a wheelbarrow?

My plan is to use the lift long enough to get the subframe out and then I can take it home and I'll have time to swap the engine (and maybe the trans) at my leisure. And so that I am not occupying the lift, I have someone at the shop who will either forklift the front or dolly it out of the service bay.

Anyhow have I overlooked anything or have I said anything that sounded too crazy?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.