Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Problem Starting My Van After running out of fuel.

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  redfury 
#1 ·
About a month ago I ran out of gas in my 96 Chevy Astro. After getting more gas from the gas station, The van started, But after it did it idled rough, When the van was put in drive it spit and sputtered, back fired and wouldn't stay running. At one point during the backfiring, it smelled like something was burning internally.(smelled like plastic) Since then I have replaced the Distributor cap and wires and plugs, and Coil. The Ignition coil tested good. I have replaced the cam shaft sensor and Fuel filter. Van still will not start, Anyone have ideas?

#3 ·
I hear the pump priming its self. I think it is good. I havent checked the pressure cause im trying to borrow one. Oh and one thing I forgot to mention in earlier post was that it was the Ignition Control Module that tested good. I have good (yellow) spark going to the plugs.

#5 ·
Yellow spark to plugs isn't actually good. You need blue spark to the plugs.

Secondly, just because you can hear the pump in no way, shape or form means that said pump is any good. You must test the fuel pressure at the schrader valve before you can pronounce your pump good.

#8 ·
Fuel pump and filter changed, still not starting, I cant test the pressure going to the shrader valve till next Thursday, I didnt mention on my first post that during the back firing and popping that i smelled something like plastic burning and smoke was coming out of the air breather, I am just trying to remember everything about the day it happened. :banghead: :screaming:

#12 ·
OK, pressure is good for the fuel, Like a dummy i assumed i was getting spark in the wires, I tested them, Am not getting spark, I have replaced the cap, rotor, ignition control module tested good. Coil is good cause i am getting spark to the distributor. Any Ideas? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

#15 ·
Backfire? Seriously? How many miles we talkin here? Timing chain MAY have jumped a couple of teeth. Compression test wet/dry then leakdown test. It's not hard to bend a valve when this happens. Also possible your "Backfire" (Lean-Popback) may have blowed out your intake gasket.....still stuff to check here.

#16 ·
First thing I'd look at is pull the distributor cap off and bump the engine with the key and verify it's turning. Sounds to me like you may have a spark issue that happened after the fuel pump quit. I had a problem when I released fuel pressure at the shraeder valve and it ran rough for a while..likely purging air out of the fuel lines. A while after, the coil died. Make sure you have a good coil. Easy test with a multimeter. The primary lead ( coil wire ) to each of the pins at the connector. Check for continuity. You shouldn't see anything but a big fat zero. If you see otherwise, you have an internal short. It may work a little bit, but it'll screw up everything and eventually stop working altogether. Coil is cheap, though it was a minor PITA to replace on my van.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.