Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

HOW MANY MILES IT GOT???

25K views 41 replies 34 participants last post by  dchan51360 
#1 ·
So im just woundering how many miles your astro has mine has 191117 and still runs fine after a little something here and a little something there so i wanna here how long i got....

#3 ·
Got 169K miles on my '92 Astro AWD....everything is orginal. Runs good....no weird noises...just rusty.
Got 204K miles on my '90 Safari 2wd....rebuilt TBI motor, but everything else is orginal. Runs good...just don't floor it to much as her tranny is getting weak. :lol:

#5 ·
246,000 miles on my '97 Astro, but swapped in a 4.3 from a 2000 S10 only 1,000 miles ago. Everything else original I think. Ditto about the tranny, it's getting weak. If I floor it, it shudders and yells at me, "Knock it off! I'm old and tired!". The rear end is growling at me a little bit like it's an axle bearing. I like my van though.

#7 ·
My 96 has 279,000 miles origina engine, trans, and rearend. The rearend is starting to whine al litle now though. The wifes has about 115,000 on it now.

#10 ·
My 92 Safari XT has 224,000 and is on it's original engine and transmission. Sadly the rear diff and driveshaft didn't make the cut. I chock that one up to my few years of hot roding!!! He's running a little rough right now but I hope to get that fixed soon...

#14 ·
I just gave my '92 conversion to my brother-in-law. 287,799 miles. I had just put a new trans and exhaust on her.
my wifes '01 has 137K
The '04 I just bought has 110K
Muffin Man, I really like the look of your white '01.
Mark S.

#18 ·
225,000 Miles and still going strong. 2001 LS

Things I have done, since owning it 169k...

Alternator @ 200k
Brake pads @ 225k
Transmission filter @ 215k
ABS Cold solder Fix @ 215k
Recharge A/C @ 170k
Swapped oil filter for - 350 V8 @ 176k
Deleted oil cooler lines @ 215k
Checked vacuum lines @ 215k
Fuel Pump @ 150k (prior owner)
Battery @ 185k

Around 700-1000$ in last 55k+ in repairs, maintenance and oils. (3+ years)

Things to do,

Replace oil dipstick - Cracked
Replace Serpentine belt
Flush radiator
Switch to synthetic for summer
Check the rear end - Needs tune up

Around 120$ in foreseeable maintenance this year.

ALSO Don't run tow/haul it will screw up your transmission.

SAM_1752.JPG

#19 ·
It appears I'm in 2nd place at 283k. Starts and runs like new! I had the Trans freshened up at 175k for a buck and a half and the shop said that upgrades would assure another 200k. She gets about the EPA published mileage. I tow all the time with no problems, through mountains and flats, never overheats. She uses about a half quart of oil every 3000 miles. She'll still go 120+ and shifts she's brand new. Impeccable maintenance and Mobil One oil (synth in the diff too) are what I attribute the longevity to. I bought a gorgeous set of seat covers from an on-line vender, painted a few of the plastic panels and with a new headliner would be a 9 on the inside. For the money IF you can take care of the little stuff yourself I feel these vans are tough to beat. I fully expect she'll go to 500k if I keep her that long. Twice a year oil changes, tires, breaks and front parts as needed and yeah! GM had a winner here. This is the highest mikeage vehicle in my stable of rides. The triple A deluxe plan (150 miles free towing) has given me the peace of mind to hold on over 175k. She owes me nothing now!

#20 ·
'97 LS w/ rear air 345,700 miles as of today. Original owner from new, fall of 1997.

Original motor/trans and driveshaft...u-joints may be too. Just about EVERYthing else has been replaced repaired.

Replaced:
Front suspension(every bushing/link/rod/shock)
Rear suspension (leaf bushings and bumpers)
Brakes (??) front and rear at least 5 times, possibly more
Bearings front and rear (F-3 / R-1)
Rear axles (1)
Front L spindle (1)
motor mounts (3 times)
Radiator
Radiator hoses 2(sets)
water pump(2)
Battery (4)
Lower IM gasket
Spider injector and associated stuff
MAF(2)
Oil pump and cooler lines
Timing chain
Timing covers(4) chasing oil leak
PS pump(still whines)
Aux belt (2)
alt. (1)
Idler pulley (2)
Harmonic balancer and seal...still leaking :banghead:
Plugs sets (3)
Tires (4)
Rear axle housing (1 - cracked due to rotted bumper gone missing)
Dist. (1)
Heater core
Grill (1) tabs broke for no reason
FUEL PUMP (3) :rofl:
Fuel filter (2)
Broken side pop out window(freak rock thrown by passing car)
Hood latch
CAT's (2) Current problem

Added:
Trans cooler
Trailer hitch / plug

Needs:
PS pump again
fix leaking TC or HB and seal AGAIN.
NO air to floor on floor heat setting
fix intermittant slider lock
front window leaking
polish headlights
Schitty front end part is clunking after only 2k and needs replacing again.
Hinge pins need replacing on the front doors
Running rich! Needs diag. and fixing.

Many many more little things like hoses, elect., sensors, cats, O2's, window regs/motors, locks, HVAC controls and switches,turn signal stalk, mirror motors and on and on. :blah: :blah: :blah: Thank God they made a ton of them and the pick a yards are chock full of them. I vacillate between utter hatred and admiration that this thing...with my help...will not completely die. I think I've given it a few extra lives though. Oh, oil changed aprox. every 3-5k and trans oil/filter EVERY 30k. I throw almost every type of oil at it...does not seem to matter. I do oil anylysis every 3rd change. It saved my *** once, as they picked up the lower intake manifold gasket leak into the oil! Saved the motor :banana:

It's hauled my family and me through almost 20 years of daily driving and while not perfect is is an amazingly useful van/truck/thing. 20 years of L.A. freeway battle every day is an amazing accomplishment. Thanks Mr. Astro. I still hate you some days though.

#24 ·
2nd owner. (Doesn't look or smell like new anymore, but still resembles a 93 Astro.)

Bought: 25k mi

Still running: 326k mi

Uncle Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.