Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

o2 sensors

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Mr_Bowtie 
#1 ·
I was wondering when i should replace my o2 sensor on my 94 chevy astro cl vin z. I am not having any trouble or lights, just wondering if thats apart of good maint

#2 ·
I've heard some say every 100,000 miles. I have 115,000 on mine and I'm not getting off of that kinda money. If it ain't broke don't break it. Other will chime in I'm sure. Jim

#3 ·
When we view O2 sensors on the scanner, there is a parameter called crosscounts. This is the number of times the sensor signal voltage crosses the halfway point (threshold) in a predetermined time period. I have noticed higher crosscounts after replacing an O2. I can't say that MPG or felt power output was increased by any noticeable difference unless a code was present prior to replacement. So I guess it depends on your wallet...You only have one sensor to replace. For OBDII vans there are four and they are not cheap.

#4 ·
I've got three on my '98, two before the y-pipe and one after the cat. I was able to pick up a couple of Denso units for about $75 shipped on Ebay.

Is it a heated sensor? Here's some verbiage from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_sensor):

Normally, the lifetime of an unheated sensor is about 30,000 to 50,000 miles (50,000 to 80,000 km). Heated sensor lifetime is typically 100,000 miles (160,000 km). Failure of an unheated sensor is usually caused by the buildup of soot on the ceramic element, which lengthens its response time and may cause total loss of ability to sense oxygen. For heated sensors, normal deposits are burned off during operation and failure occurs due to catalyst depletion, similar to the reason a battery stops producing current.
FWIW, I noticed a significant improvement in driveability after replacing mine. But they were likely the factory sensors, with over 200k miles on 'em :shock:

#6 ·
Astroplane said:
neckless said:
I've got three on my '98
Good point, I checked my '99 Jimmy and it has three. How many for an '05 Astro? For anyone that wants to increase their post count, go out and count your O2's! :feedback:
Hey that sounds like me. 3, 3 O2 sensors, WAH HA HA HA. ( The Count from Sesame Street's laugh). And 1397, 1397 POSTS, WAH HA HA HA. ( The Count from Sesame Street's laugh). Jim

#7 ·
I wouldn't bother, but they are cheap for our year Vans. $20. If you do change it hang on to the old ya never know. :mrgreen:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.