Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Wheres My Tach Wire?

9K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Mr_Bowtie 
#1 ·
As i was installing my new coil i was going to hook up my tach too but cant find the white wire, my wifes safari has it mine dont, people said that there is a white wire off the computer under the hood but theres about 6 white wires.

Any ideas, this is on my 97 stro

#2 ·
I would think by the distributor or maybe the coil is where you would find a the wire to run your tach with. I always just pushed my tach wire into the harness on the distributor and found the wire that way. But, I've never hooked up a tach in these Vans before. :shrug:

#9 ·
astro355 said:
Yes, but there is a factory pigtail for the tach wire. I want to say its on the passenger side in the wiring harness. I've seen it before but can't think were its at.
Oh man I just put my doghouse back on I could have peeked around for it. Oh well next time! :D

#17 ·
sufferee said:
apparently there isn't a factory pigtail for tach on 96 and up. from your pic,
the yellow w/black line wire (negative) at coil is where tach trigger wire gets hooked to. soldering is recommended.
Thank You

#18 ·
Sorry for digging this old thread up...........what wire ended up working for you?

On my '96 I have 3 wires going to the coil: white with black stripe, pink, yellow(no black stripe).

I tried hooking up my used tach I got off a friend for free to the white with black stripe, but no worky. Just wanna verify that is the right wire for my '96 if anybody knows before I smash this piece of crap tach into a billion pieces with my trusty BFH!!!!!! :banghead:

Thanks! :chevy:

#19 ·
Mr_Bowtie said:
Sorry for digging this old thread up...........what wire ended up working for you?

On my '96 I have 3 wires going to the coil: white with black stripe, pink, yellow(no black stripe).

I tried hooking up my used tach I got off a friend for free to the white with black stripe, but no worky. Just wanna verify that is the right wire for my '96 if anybody knows before I smash this piece of crap tach into a billion pieces with my trusty BFH!!!!!! :banghead:

Thanks! :chevy:
Here is the diagram for a 97 astro

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.