Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Lifter Tap when cold in morning

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Gary 
#1 ·
Hi All.

I have a 2000 Astro van with 83,000 miles. The other morning I started the van and the lifters started tapping, I turned it off and let it sit and it did the same thing when I started it again. I changed the oil (Castrol 10-40 and fram extra guard filter) and it seemed as it was less loud although still there. I let it run about 4 minutes and the tapping went away. oil pressure is at 33 and goes up to about 42 when driving. If I'm not mistaken it used to always run at 42 and never went below that. The tapping only happens when it's cold.

What could be wrong? :confused:

When It first happened I drove it around the block to pull it in the driveway and the oil pressure went from 40 to almost 80, that's when I changed the oil and it's now at 32 to 40

Any help would be greatly appreciated I'm hoping it's not something internal and I wont to tear it apart.

Also I would like to thank Jim for the advise on my serpentine belt issue, the pulley's were out of alignment.

Thanks for your help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi BillyBob

Gm sent out a TSB on this particular occurrence. It states that lifter noise on the initial cold start-up for about 45 seconds to a minute, then disappears, is normal for non-adjustable hydraulic lifters (which you have).

If this lifter noise doesn't disappear after your warm-up phase, then you have worn components or sticking valves.

Just a heads up here:

Exhaust leaks can sound very similar to ticking lifters and can disappear when the exhaust manifold warms up and expands back onto the head to create a seal again. This is usually related to worn exhaust manifold gaskets and another area you should have a look at to make sure it isn't that, causing the ticking noise.

Hope this helps.:)

#3 ·
Matrixx said:
Hi BillyBob

Gm sent out a TSB on this particular occurrence. It states that lifter noise on the initial cold start-up for about 45 seconds to a minute, then disappears, is normal for non-adjustable hydraulic lifters (which you have).

If this lifter noise doesn't disappear after your warm-up phase, then you have worn components or sticking valves.

Just a heads up here:

Exhaust leaks can sound very similar to ticking lifters and can disappear when the exhaust manifold warms up and expands back onto the head to create a seal again. This is usually related to worn exhaust manifold gaskets and another area you should have a look at to make sure it isn't that, causing the ticking noise.

X2 on checking the exhaust system. I had a similar sound, thought I had a ticking lifter also. Found the conection from the exhaust manifold and the head pipe had a leak. It would leak till it got warmed up then stop. Alot cheaper fix than tearing into a motor!

#4 ·
Matrixx said:
Hi BillyBob

Just a heads up here:

You know Mat-so many don't do that with the lifters.Hummm,got me wondering if GM isn't just covering their butts. :shifty:

#5 ·
Hi Gary

GM "was" very good at covering their butts. I guess their was enough attention drawn to this Cold Start Lifter Noise, they had to say something. Hopefully the new management will change this way of thinking.:)

#6 ·
I'd also replace the Fram filter with Purolator, Wix or NAPA. If you search Fram on this site, you'll find a warning from Astro355 (among others) about low oil pressure when using Fram...

#9 ·
Do me a favor and throw that FRAM filter in the deepest hole you can find on this planet! :screaming:
They wreck more engines than careless drivers do.

Please use the AC Delco filter they're the same price but have a much better flow and pressure holding capability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.