Engine "bogging" on low rpm

Engine "bogging" on low rpm

Postby Laser_Blader [OP] » October 23rd 2010, 4:44pm

Hello.

Im new on this forum so please fill me in if there is anything i have missed ;)

I bought my "dreamcar" week ago, a chevrolet astro. 1989. with 4,3L v6 automatic transmission.
I live in sweden, the car was imported in -93.

When i bought it, it had no brakes, so i have spent alot of time in the garage, mounting a complete new brake system. So that works fine
But i have noticed som driving issues, when i drive and the car has to "struggle", for example if i push the gas a bit when im going uphill. It also happends when it shifts up to overdrive, what happends is that the car starts to vibrate, it fells really hard in the steeringwheel, but it feels like even the engine is vibrating, i cant find the english word for it.. bobbing, bogging, bouncing or something, its like when a car has to high gear uphill.. its the best description i have, a friend had an idea about bad balance in the wheels but the "vibrating" stops when i let go of the throttle.
i dont get any Malfunktion codes at all, i thought about if it was missfirering? it runs whell when idle.

I have checked the airfilter, (need new one, a squirrel had made a nest in there), but havent come around to check the sparkplugs.

The car hade been stored outside for 2 years when i bought it, if that can help ;)

Just before i got in tonight i inspected the exhaust system and noticed at big crack in the rear muffler, when i put my hand over the exhaustpipe nothing happends, it runs just fine, no pressure at all, if exhaust system is airtight there should be pressure build up ringt?
Could it have something to do with this? I hade big problems on another car that had a leak in the exhaust, and the Co2 sensor (i think u call it in US?) "Lambda probe" in sweden ;) caused the car to get to much gasoline, and the exhaust fumes smelled like gasoline.

Hope i can get some help, i have searched the forum for awnsers, but havent found the exakt same problem, the things i have found is that it may have to do with the ERC? valve?

Help?
Chevrolet astro 1989. 4.3l v6, Automatic, 2wd
Original Poster [OP]
Laser_Blader
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Laser_Blader has been a member for 6 full yearsLaser_Blader has been a member for 6 full yearsLaser_Blader has been a member for 6 full yearsLaser_Blader has been a member for 6 full yearsLaser_Blader has been a member for 6 full yearsLaser_Blader has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Laser_Blader
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3l v6 2WD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Low idle 550 rpm
    by ezbeinsteezy » January 10th 2017, 5:36pm in Engines
    7 Replies
    Last post by Mmusicman View the latest post
    January 14th 2017, 2:41pm
  • engine looses high RPM power
    by mattds » March 22nd 2017, 9:17pm in Engines
    4 Replies
    Last post by Bat View the latest post
    April 18th 2017, 7:16am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 26th 2017, 2:46pm

Re: Engine "bogging" on low rpm

Postby chevy57bert » October 23rd 2010, 6:51pm

Welcome to AS LB.
First I would look at your ignition, coil, wires and plugs. Take the Cap off and look for some wear inside and rotor.
If that is okay. check the fuel pressure and filter.
These Vans are know to have some fuel pump problems.
Keep us Posted..
chevy57bert
Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: chevy57bert has been a member for 7 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 7 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 7 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 7 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 7 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 7 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 68
Alias (AKA): Bertjuh
Year: 1992
Extra Info: Ext 4.3L rwd

Postby Munken » October 23rd 2010, 6:57pm

Välkommen till våran värld :thumbup: (welcome to our world).

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here, I'm sure you will get tips and help here.

Take a moment and introduce yourself here: http://www.astrosafari.com/viewforum.php?f=4

"Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer"
Munken
Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Munken has been a member for 7 full yearsMunken has been a member for 7 full yearsMunken has been a member for 7 full yearsMunken has been a member for 7 full yearsMunken has been a member for 7 full yearsMunken has been a member for 7 full yearsMunken has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 67
Alias (AKA): Munken the lunatic
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby Laser_Blader [OP] » October 23rd 2010, 8:00pm

chevy57bert wrote:Welcome to AS LB.

Thanx alot!

I will check the plugs and rotor and all that tomorrow, the fuel filter is new. but i would try to check the fuel pressure.
My bet is on the plugs, or atleast i hope it is, cause they r cheap hehe.

Im thinking of the Egr valve to, i have read alot about that it can cause rough idle, my idle is pretty good, but it would good cleaning it? But i dont know where to find it :( anyone have pics?

I would take som pictures of the van, and one of the dashboard, there is one gauge gone in my van, ad i dont know what its for, i suspect it for the electric side mirrors.

(if my spelling is a little of, im swedish ;) )
Last edited by chevy57bert on October 23rd 2010, 8:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote
Original Poster [OP]
Laser_Blader
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Laser_Blader has been a member for 6 full yearsLaser_Blader has been a member for 6 full yearsLaser_Blader has been a member for 6 full yearsLaser_Blader has been a member for 6 full yearsLaser_Blader has been a member for 6 full yearsLaser_Blader has been a member for 6 full years

Postby chevy57bert » October 23rd 2010, 8:20pm

Yeah. Swedish :cheers: we have some off those around here :rofl: :rofl:

Use the search option for what you looking for.
How to upload pictures : viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7345
And fill in your profile LB. So we all know the Kind of Van your having and don`t have to guess. :mrgreen:
chevy57bert
Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Years of Membership: chevy57bert has been a member for 7 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 7 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 7 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 7 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 7 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 7 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 7 full years

Postby Laser_Blader [OP] » October 23rd 2010, 8:33pm

I have now posted a pic of my van in the beginners lounge ;)

Im updating the profile right now. as mutch as i can ;)

posting a pic here to :banana:
Attachments
IMG_0930.JPG
Last edited by chevy57bert on October 23rd 2010, 8:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote
Original Poster [OP]
Laser_Blader
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby Laser_Blader [OP] » October 24th 2010, 6:27pm

I Checked the distributer today, and there was a lot of corrosion in there, like big chunks. i cleand it up, and the car ran considerably better, almost prefect. I suspect a change of sparkplugs will do the rest :dance:

Maybe even getting a new distributor, and rotor in a near future :think:
Ill take that at the same time i change all the fluids and filters.

A big thanx for the help with my little problem, if there is anyting else coming up i will tell u :lol:
Original Poster [OP]
Laser_Blader
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby chevy57bert » October 24th 2010, 7:13pm

Good find.. :clap:
Buy AcDelco cap and rotor to stay away from trouble. ( the cheap ones ain`t so good)
Don`t forget the wires..
chevy57bert
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Postby Laser_Blader [OP] » October 24th 2010, 8:36pm

:think: I will see what i can get at the dealer.. i think they order from hansen Racing. But i will not get the cheapest one :naughty:
then i will have to replace it again in a month haha.

i also found a squirrel nest behind the distributer.. the second one i found haha everybody loves an Astro :bow:
Original Poster [OP]
Laser_Blader
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby chevy57bert » October 24th 2010, 8:47pm

Doesn`t Newbridgecar have any parts for u??
chevy57bert
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Postby RECox286 » October 24th 2010, 8:52pm

Hey L.B.

Wilcommen, Bien Venu, Welcome. Nice to hear from you about your new truck, not nice to hear you are having problems.

To let you know about the muffler: there is a second skin of galvanized or aluminized metal that is wrapped on the outside of the muffler itself. This is probably what you are
referring to that is split. You can poke the slit with a probe to see if it goes all the way through and into the muffler itself.

If the fuel tank has had fuel in it while it was not being used, I would suggest that you 1) either drain the tank, or 2) at the least treat it with the best additive you can find. Fuel has a tendency to "varnish", sometimes fairly quickly. I would also suggest an in-line filter change.

Good luck, and keep on Truck'n.

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby Laser_Blader [OP] » October 24th 2010, 9:13pm

chevy57bert wrote:Doesn`t Newbridgecar have any parts for u??

u know about Newbridgecar? cool, thats the guy i bought the car from. hes a customer of min (im a tattoo artist)
but he mainly import veteran cars and parts from the US. but i will ask him about parts the next time i see him.
Original Poster [OP]
Laser_Blader
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby chevy57bert » October 24th 2010, 9:34pm

Laser_Blader wrote:
u know about Newbridgecar?

He was or still is a member of the Swedish 55-57 club.
I was there a member long long time ago.. :mrgreen:

Yeb. Ask him for parts or prices.. :clap:
chevy57bert
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Postby Laser_Blader [OP] » October 25th 2010, 5:55am

RECox286 wrote:Hey L.B.

Wilcommen, Bien Venu, Welcome. Nice to hear from you about your new truck, not nice to hear you are having problems.

To let you know about the muffler: there is a second skin of galvanized or aluminized metal that is wrapped on the outside of the muffler itself. This is probably what you are
referring to that is split. You can poke the slit with a probe to see if it goes all the way through and into the muffler itself.

If the fuel tank has had fuel in it while it was not being used, I would suggest that you 1) either drain the tank, or 2) at the least treat it with the best additive you can find. Fuel has a tendency to "varnish", sometimes fairly quickly. I would also suggest an in-line filter change.

Good luck, and keep on Truck'n.

Bob

Thanx for the tip, i thought t was the "second skin" of the muffler to, ut i checket and it is totaly wrecked :P but u got a new one for free from a friend so im good :dance:

The fuel tank was almost empty, could have been just a cople of gallons in there, but this was my first consern, since i had big problem with old gasoline on a motorcykle i had e few years back :screaming:

But thankx for the tips! the filter is being changed as soon as possible to!

Chevy57Bert: Oki , i just thought it was cool that u knew about a company in my small town ;) but internet shrinks he world :cheers:
Original Poster [OP]
Laser_Blader
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby Laser_Blader [OP] » October 25th 2010, 7:30am

when i drove to work, engine light came on. it gave me the "code" 32.
im at work and have limited to internet, so can anyone tell med what that the code means or can give me à link to à page where i can get the codes? :)
Original Poster [OP]
Laser_Blader
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby RECox286 » October 25th 2010, 1:25pm

Chaper, Verse and Stanza direct from the "Bible":

Code 32: EGR Vacuum switch shorted to ground on start-up, switch not closed after the PCM has commanded the EGR for a specified period of time or the EGR solenoid circuit is open for specified period of time.

Recommend action: Replace the EGR valve***

*** Component replacement may not cure the problem in all cases. For this reason you may want to seek professional help before purchasing replacement parts.

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby Laser_Blader [OP] » October 25th 2010, 2:20pm

thanx for that! would it help to remove and clean it?
Original Poster [OP]
Laser_Blader
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby chevy57bert » October 25th 2010, 8:12pm

Laser_Blader wrote:................. can give me à link to à page where i can get the codes? :)

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ ... -codes.php
chevy57bert
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Postby Laser_Blader [OP] » October 26th 2010, 3:54pm

update: the code was gone the next morning and didnt return today. i have ordered a new airfilter and ditributor cap and rotor. arriving tomorrow. Im thinking of cleaning the egr while im at it.

I will return with result when im done :bouncy:
Original Poster [OP]
Laser_Blader
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby astroturf » October 26th 2010, 4:01pm

No Codes is Good Codes.

Keep an eye, and Keep us posted.

Thanks, Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 7 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 7 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 7 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 7 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 7 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 7 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 112
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Next