Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

2000 safari new starter and still nothing.

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  RECox286 
#1 ·
went to the Auto Zone and checked for bad starter.. found bad and got a new starter. installed new stater still no click nor turn over engine (crank). found 12V at the power lead to the solenoid. cleaned all connections. had someone hold ignition start (crank) and found no signal for the solenoid to engage starter.
checked all fuses.. the crank under steering wheel is good. the engine fuse under hood is good. i can hear the relay click when ignition switch goes to start, even swapped relay from headlights/starter relay and same click.

so the Auto Zone people found original bad. i am assuming the starter was bad with all diagnose before Auto Zone, yet never checked solenoid engage for 12V.

Is the solenoid signal momentarily? and I am missing the 12V signal, you think?
where else can i check to have circuit to solenoid ? ?

Happy Motoring and your mileage may vary.

#6 ·
Found 12V at solenoid engage during key on start.
Found 12V at power supply for starter.
Found wire for alternator that piggy backs with the 12V power supply.
Found neutral safety switch OK.
Found all fuses and relay OK.
..then I found bran new rebuilt auto zone starter bad. can I charge auto zone for remove and replace labor hours? LoL.

#8 ·
WDMICKJR said:
Found 12V at solenoid engage during key on start.
Found 12V at power supply for starter.
Found wire for alternator that piggy backs with the 12V power supply.
Found neutral safety switch OK.
Found all fuses and relay OK.
..then I found bran new rebuilt auto zone starter bad. can I charge auto zone for remove and replace labor hours? LoL.
In your first post you said "had someone hold ignition start (crank) and found no signal for the solenoid to engage starter"

???

Lump

#10 ·
chevymaher said:
WDMICKJR said:
No but just make a little rule for yourself. Never buy electrical stuff from Auto Zone. Lifetime warantee means you got a lifetime of replacing that part. Over and over again.
Yup....learned that lesson with a mechanical fuel pump on my old 79 Cutlass wagon. If it doesn't say new, oem on the box now, it doesn't go on. But starters are something I usually take my chances on...let's hope you got a decent one this time!
-Mike-

#11 ·
Note to self:

1. Take new part (starter) out of box.

2. Ask to have it confirmed as a good part.

3. Don't believe the test, pass GO, collect $200.

4. Keep on going...to a real rebuilder listed in the Yellow Pages.

Uncle Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.