Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Where is the "SET TIMING CONNECTOR" located?

13K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Lumpy 
#1 ·
I don't have a sticker under my hood. I have a 1994 astro van. I need to find this connector please help! BTW should I set the base to 0* or something else?

Thanks
Zach

#2 ·
if there is a knock module anywhere then unplug that to set the timing

if not then look for single inline wire connector tan color wire somewhere near ECM or near ALDL connector or such

set to zero with disconnected

#3 ·
My van is set at 18 degrees advance. and it runs a lot better than it did stock.If I retarded it just two degrees it stalled and would not restart. I did that just to see where it stood on timing.Not sure what the powers to be were thinking when they set them that way but you get better milage and power if it set for power. and my knock sensor is hooked up and it is not fighting it at that point.Iam racing mustangs and winning 90 percent of the time.Before I did the timing it was alot slower.I have 410 rr end that part of it but timing more of it.

#5 ·
http://www.aldlcable.com/

Go here, there's a good picture if you scroll down past the cables. The connector is located inside almost directly below the steering wheel, at about knee level.
What you do is short pins A and B together with the engine warmed-up and running. (A paper clip works good) Your check engine lite shoud flash once per second. Now it is at base timing and ready to be set. Set it at 0. Then remove the clip and the ECM will take over the timing. You may have to shut it off to get the check engine lite to go out.

#18 ·
AstroWill said:
Better than a new post with the same info.
I agree. I like to see old threads re-visited. That tends to keep the answers centralized in one place. 5 threads with 5 people's results is kind of difficult to weed through, compared to if it were in one place.

It's not easy to search this forum, at least not from the internal search function. "Hey what ever happened to your failing gerflumsich rundinator?" Is something I'm often wondering.

Lump

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.