front brake line replacement

front brake line replacement

Postby motokorte [OP] » March 18th 2017, 11:24pm

I sprung a leak on a front brake line. right behind bumper. appears to be the one that goes to the passenger side.. looks like a real pain to change out. 2003 awd.
Any advice or tips. ya cant even see the damn thing for more than an inch. Im hoping once i remove the fan housing i can see a little better
Last edited by motokorte on March 19th 2017, 12:12am, edited 2 times in total.
Original Poster [OP]
motokorte
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: motokorte has been a member for 8 full yearsmotokorte has been a member for 8 full yearsmotokorte has been a member for 8 full yearsmotokorte has been a member for 8 full yearsmotokorte has been a member for 8 full yearsmotokorte has been a member for 8 full yearsmotokorte has been a member for 8 full yearsmotokorte has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 12

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • The dreaded " brake line rusted behind the gas tank " again
    by astrometalvan » January 12th 2017, 10:13pm in Brakes
    12 Replies
    Last post by offroad safari View the latest post
    January 14th 2017, 10:25pm
  • Brake issue
    by Bertsam2 » February 6th 2017, 6:34am in Brakes
    9 Replies
    Last post by deafman View the latest post
    February 20th 2017, 10:52pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    May 28th 2017, 3:59pm

Re: front brake hose replacement

Postby plymouthcranbrook » March 18th 2017, 11:43pm

Disconnect both ends and run a new line in a more accessible place. Keeping safety in mind. As long as there is no conflict with other parts of the truck and it is secured it should be fine. i am assume you are talking about a metal line.
plymouthcranbrook
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: plymouthcranbrook has been a member for 7 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 7 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 7 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 7 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 7 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 7 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 10
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: allwheel drive

Re: front brake hose replacement

Postby motokorte [OP] » March 19th 2017, 12:11am

Yes, the metal line. Not sure why i typed hose.. just took a better look. its up in behind the bumper cover on the crossmember. probably should take off the bumeper cover to secure it.
Original Poster [OP]
motokorte
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: motokorte has been a member for 8 full yearsmotokorte has been a member for 8 full yearsmotokorte has been a member for 8 full yearsmotokorte has been a member for 8 full yearsmotokorte has been a member for 8 full yearsmotokorte has been a member for 8 full yearsmotokorte has been a member for 8 full yearsmotokorte has been a member for 8 full years

Re: front brake line replacement

Postby toolguy73 » March 19th 2017, 10:56am

When you replace it, make sure you make it the same length. If that one went bad, more are sure to follow. Galvanized tubing works fine, but there are better options, such as coated or alloy.
Astro Driver Since 1989. from South Jersey. 2005 8 Passenger, AWD, Rear Air, VIN X, Barn Doors
toolguy73
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: toolguy73 has been a member for 3 full yearstoolguy73 has been a member for 3 full yearstoolguy73 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA): Dom
Year: 2005

Postby The Drummer » March 19th 2017, 1:02pm

That looks more like the power steering cooler than the brake line , unless the 03 as totaly diffrent routing than the gen 2 as , normaly it goes from abs module ,then its clipped to the cross member across going to the pass side caliper .
Please send all your money to the : Ben Dover fondation for poor drummers , we will take care of it better than you would ; Image
The Drummer
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: The Drummer has been a member for 5 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 5 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 5 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 5 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 16
Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT 4.3 AWD

Postby Lumpy » March 19th 2017, 1:42pm

Yup. Doesn't sound like brakes up behind the bumper.

PS cooler?

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 261
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby The Drummer » March 19th 2017, 2:11pm

I would check the color of whatever is leaking , i had to fix the p.s. on mine and thats exactly where it is , brake line would have to go from master to proportioning valve to abs module under the driver s seat back to the front of the van and then back to the right wheel , i am no expert but it seems very odd .
Please send all your money to the : Ben Dover fondation for poor drummers , we will take care of it better than you would ; Image
The Drummer
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: The Drummer has been a member for 5 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 5 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 5 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 5 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 5 full years
Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT 4.3 AWD

Postby plymouthcranbrook » March 20th 2017, 3:40am

Do you have good brakes? Is the fluid Low? Check the master cylinder first to see if you are low. Also check the power steering pump for fluid as well.
plymouthcranbrook
Years of Membership: plymouthcranbrook has been a member for 7 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 7 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 7 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 7 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 7 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 7 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 10
Extra Info: allwheel drive

Postby astronot » March 21st 2017, 1:05am

I just changed the same line in my 97 astro AWD, the line comes from the ABS controller under the drivers seat and goes through the drivers side engine bay and does ride on the metal bumper behind the cover. Thats exactly where mine rotted out. I had a friend who had a flare kit so I just grabbed about 10 feet of line, a coupling, and bent mine into place. You wont find the adapter that goes into the ABS module at LAPS so what I did was disconnect the line from that module and take off that connector. Make sure to put it on the new line BEFORE you flare it (made that mistake it sucked) You can get the line pretty close to the original location.

There is a connection above the caliper where the metal lines mate to the rubber lines that power your caliper. Take that connector with you to the LAPS and make sure it threads into the coupling that you will need for the new line. There are 2 different size lines in these things and the connector that goes into the ABS module makes the line look smaller than it is. If you get the connector from behind the caliper you will get the right size line. Get rigid brake line that bendy stuff with the compression fittings is junk.

Also a tip: When you get the connector off the ABS module and have a little stub of brake line still in it. Put it in a vise, get a torch on it and get it red hot. Then take a punch and tap the old line out. This works well for me a lot of the time. Maybe take a needle file and just clean the inside of that connector very lightly do not remove any meat from it. I hope this helps!
astronot
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Alias (AKA): Lefty
Year: 1997
Extra Info: 1997 AWD 4.3

Postby motokorte [OP] » March 28th 2017, 3:48pm

Thanks Astronut! i got real lucky! I just picked up the kids from school, and was stopped at a stop sign. brake went to the floor! oh boy! i only live a few miles away, and knew that i could run it slow and use low gear if i had to. (at this time i found out my e-brake line is broken!) My leak was where it makes a bend coming off the frame rail in front of the wheel where it turn down to go in front of the frame and behind the bumper cover. you need a mirror to see or use phone camera. My line was 1/4", so i bought a roll of that and ran it as close to the old one as i could. rented the flaring tool and did that. now im trying to bleed the brakes and all the bleeders are frozen or super tight. Is it 10mm nut? I cant get any size to fit good, metric or sae. Ill try a 6 point next. Ive had 5 of these vans and never had this before.
Original Poster [OP]
motokorte
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)