ABS and Brake light on... 2003 cargo

ABS and Brake light on... 2003 cargo

Postby scott936 [OP] » March 28th 2011, 12:04am

Ok this is what i have noticed.... have had our van 5 days no problems, no rain every thing working. Took a 200 mile trip no problems came back (another 200 miles) no problems, went to car wash no problem on drive home next day during my next 200 mile trip brake light on and abs all seem to be fine with braking. I pulled over shut off the van checked fluid (good) got back in started the van lights off made it about a mile lights back on stayed on for the remainder of the 200 miles. Parked van for two days drove back 200 miles no lights, washed van brake and abs lights back on.......

Now that i have some time i pulled the front wheels and found I have little to no front pads so I'm rebuilding the front suspension and replacing the front pads I miced the front rotors at 1.12 but could find no min spec for the rotors, my buddies at my local parts store will cover me on that.

Any thoughts os suggestions would be appreciated.
2002 Astro Van Cargo
Air Bags
Yokohama 225/60 17
Overhead console from 92 S 10
Custom Rear Bumper
Custom front seats
Original Poster [OP]
User avatar
scott936
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: scott936 has been a member for 3 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 3 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 3 full years
Posts: 300
Topics: 37
Images: 20
Joined: February 2011
Location: Huntsville TX
Gender: Male
Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2 WD Cargo

  • Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: ABS and Brake light on... 2003 cargo

Postby cowboydan » March 28th 2011, 2:13am

scott936 wrote:Ok this is what i have noticed.... have had our van 5 days no problems, no rain every thing working. Took a 200 mile trip no problems came back (another 200 miles) no problems, went to car wash no problem on drive home next day during my next 200 mile trip brake light on and abs all seem to be fine with braking. I pulled over shut off the van checked fluid (good) got back in started the van lights off made it about a mile lights back on stayed on for the remainder of the 200 miles. Parked van for two days drove back 200 miles no lights, washed van brake and abs lights back on.......

Now that i have some time i pulled the front wheels and found I have little to no front pads so I'm rebuilding the front suspension and replacing the front pads I miced the front rotors at 1.12 but could find no min spec for the rotors, my buddies at my local parts store will cover me on that.

Any thoughts os suggestions would be appreciated.

one of your sensors may have just got wet. the abs light has nothing to do with braking. it's just telling you that there is an issue with one of the sensors. most likely. if water is getting in, it may be time to replace it. scan the computer. the generic ones don't usually read abs or tranny codes so you might want to take in and find out wich sensor is foweled.
97 astro 4.3w AWD hotrod stand in and multi purpose custom cruizer: DD
2006 sebring 2.7 touring: DD
1990 f150 super cab 5.8/ 351w dual fuel: dq
1980 buick regal sport coupe???
1976 460/c6 ford e350 21' motorhome project
cowboydan
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: cowboydan has been a member for 4 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 4 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 4 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 4 full years
Posts: 1983
Topics: 67
Images: 0
Joined: July 2010
Gender: Male
Alias (AKA): cbd
Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3w CL AWD

Re: ABS and Brake light on... 2003 cargo

Postby scott936 [OP] » March 28th 2011, 2:32am

cowboydan wrote:
scott936 wrote:Ok this is what i have noticed.... have had our van 5 days no problems, no rain every thing working. Took a 200 mile trip no problems came back (another 200 miles) no problems, went to car wash no problem on drive home next day during my next 200 mile trip brake light on and abs all seem to be fine with braking. I pulled over shut off the van checked fluid (good) got back in started the van lights off made it about a mile lights back on stayed on for the remainder of the 200 miles. Parked van for two days drove back 200 miles no lights, washed van brake and abs lights back on.......

Now that i have some time i pulled the front wheels and found I have little to no front pads so I'm rebuilding the front suspension and replacing the front pads I miced the front rotors at 1.12 but could find no min spec for the rotors, my buddies at my local parts store will cover me on that.

Any thoughts os suggestions would be appreciated.

one of your sensors may have just got wet. the abs light has nothing to do with braking. it's just telling you that there is an issue with one of the sensors. most likely. if water is getting in, it may be time to replace it. scan the computer. the generic ones don't usually read abs or tranny codes so you might want to take in and find out wich sensor is foweled.


Thanks for the info, if ABS sensor is bad why the brake light on at the same time? once sensor telling the other I have a problem?
2002 Astro Van Cargo
Air Bags
Yokohama 225/60 17
Overhead console from 92 S 10
Custom Rear Bumper
Custom front seats
Original Poster [OP]
User avatar
scott936
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: scott936 has been a member for 3 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 3 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 3 full years
Posts: 300
Topics: 37
Images: 20
Joined: February 2011
Location: Huntsville TX
Gender: Male
Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2 WD Cargo

Re: ABS and Brake light on... 2003 cargo

Postby cowboydan » March 28th 2011, 2:46am

what year is your van?
97 astro 4.3w AWD hotrod stand in and multi purpose custom cruizer: DD
2006 sebring 2.7 touring: DD
1990 f150 super cab 5.8/ 351w dual fuel: dq
1980 buick regal sport coupe???
1976 460/c6 ford e350 21' motorhome project
cowboydan
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: cowboydan has been a member for 4 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 4 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 4 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 4 full years
Posts: 1983
Topics: 67
Images: 0
Joined: July 2010
Gender: Male
Alias (AKA): cbd
Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3w CL AWD

Re: ABS and Brake light on... 2003 cargo

Postby scott936 [OP] » March 28th 2011, 3:31am

cowboydan wrote:what year is your van?

Oops sorry I screwed up the heading its a 2002
2002 Astro Van Cargo
Air Bags
Yokohama 225/60 17
Overhead console from 92 S 10
Custom Rear Bumper
Custom front seats
Original Poster [OP]
User avatar
scott936
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: scott936 has been a member for 3 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 3 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 3 full years
Posts: 300
Topics: 37
Images: 20
Joined: February 2011
Location: Huntsville TX
Gender: Male
Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2 WD Cargo

Re: ABS and Brake light on... 2003 cargo

Postby cowboydan » March 28th 2011, 2:20pm

scott936 wrote:
cowboydan wrote:what year is your van?

Oops sorry I screwed up the heading its a 2002

i still think you got water in the sensors. but without the codes it's like shooting blind as to which ones have been affected.
97 astro 4.3w AWD hotrod stand in and multi purpose custom cruizer: DD
2006 sebring 2.7 touring: DD
1990 f150 super cab 5.8/ 351w dual fuel: dq
1980 buick regal sport coupe???
1976 460/c6 ford e350 21' motorhome project
cowboydan
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: cowboydan has been a member for 4 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 4 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 4 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 4 full years
Posts: 1983
Topics: 67
Images: 0
Joined: July 2010
Gender: Male
Alias (AKA): cbd
Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3w CL AWD

Re: ABS and Brake light on... 2003 cargo

Postby scott936 [OP] » May 2nd 2011, 4:52pm

cowboydan wrote:
scott936 wrote:
cowboydan wrote:what year is your van?

Oops sorry I screwed up the heading its a 2002

i still think you got water in the sensors. but without the codes it's like shooting blind as to which ones have been affected.


Ive run the scanner about 20 times and every time there are no codes???? I'm trying to catch it when the lights are on to run a scan. Now the light come on with or with out water involved..... Ideas?
2002 Astro Van Cargo
Air Bags
Yokohama 225/60 17
Overhead console from 92 S 10
Custom Rear Bumper
Custom front seats
Original Poster [OP]
User avatar
scott936
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: scott936 has been a member for 3 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 3 full yearsscott936 has been a member for 3 full years
Posts: 300
Topics: 37
Images: 20
Joined: February 2011
Location: Huntsville TX
Gender: Male
Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2 WD Cargo


 
  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to Brakes

It is currently July 23rd 2014, 4:42am

Brakes Forum
BrakesLets talk about brakes and brake performance. Disc, drum, anti-lock brakes(ABS). Discuss brake components like the pads, rotors, calipers, shoes. Pads can be ceramic, metallic, or other. Rotors can be standard, cross-drilled, or slotted.
Moderator: chevy57bert
To create a new topic in Brakes, click this button:
Previous topic Next topic
Recent Image Attachments
Attached by:
Attached by: thegreenmachine
thegreenmachine
in Brakes
Views: 276
Comments: 5
Date: Jun 12 '14
Time: 4:34am
» Read last comment
Attached by:
Attached by: chevy57bert
chevy57bert
in Brakes
Views: 33293
Comments: 118
Date: May 18 '14
Time: 2:54pm
» Read last comment
Attached by:
Attached by: chevy57bert
chevy57bert
in Brakes
Views: 33293
Comments: 118
Date: May 18 '14
Time: 2:48pm
» Read last comment
Attached by:
Attached by: thegreenmachine
thegreenmachine
in Brakes
Views: 874
Comments: 17
Date: Apr 23 '14
Time: 1:11am
» Read last comment
Attached by:
Attached by: safariking
safariking
in Brakes
Views: 740
Comments: 11
Date: Mar 23 '14
Time: 6:21pm
» Read last comment
Sponsors
 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests