ABS pump runs continuously even with key off

ABS pump runs continuously even with key off

Postby rf overlord [OP] » April 14th 2011, 7:38am

So I fired up the company 'stro the other night and the ABS light came on. Didn't detect any problem until I came to a stop sign and heard/felt a whirring noise. Shut the vehicle off and restarted to see if it was just a momentary glitch, which it wasn't. The really odd thing is that the whirring continues even with the key shut off. Seems to be coming from a large module under the van below the driver's seat, which I assume to be the ABS pump. I found the 60 amp fuse under the hood and pulled it and the whirring stopped, but now in addition to the yellow ABS light, the red "brake" light is on as well. Brakes still work fine, but I was wondering if this is a common issue and there might be a relatively simple repair. (Yeah, I know...fat chance... )
'01 Safari AWD
Original Poster [OP]
rf overlord
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: rf overlord has been a member for 6 full yearsrf overlord has been a member for 6 full yearsrf overlord has been a member for 6 full yearsrf overlord has been a member for 6 full yearsrf overlord has been a member for 6 full yearsrf overlord has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 5

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: ABS pump runs continuously even with key off

Postby chevymaher » April 15th 2011, 12:50pm

this is what I found that was similar to yours and another said there a relay inside it that fails.this is that module they talkin about in article.From what they saying it expensive to fix.If it were me brakes work pretty good as is just take out silly bulb.Pay a grand to not have brakes at all in snow I dont think so tim................................................................................ImageGM Truck and SUV ABS Pump Runs With the Key Turned Off

From 1999 through 2006 GM manufactured millions of sports utility vehicles (SUV) and trucks with Kelsey Hayes anti-lock brake modules. These units have a peculiar fault. When they fail the ABS light comes on and the pump often starts running continuously, even with the key off.

For no apparent reason, the ABS light will come on. There may also be a strange humming noise coming from under the hood. Turn off the key and the noise continues. The anti-lock brake (ABS) control module has failed on a General Motors SUV or pickup.

The Silverado, Sierra, Yukon, Tahoe, Yukon XL, Suburban, Trail Blazer and Avalanche as well as many others may use this problem prone unit. It is a Kelsey Hayes 325 ABS module. When the unit fails, the ABS pump is often turned on. If allowed to run, it will quickly kill the vehicle battery and may damage the ABS pump. 

Removing the ABS fuse is the best bet, until the vehicle can be repaired. The vehicle can temporarily be driven with the fuse removed, but will not have ABS function available. The large 60 amp fuse is located in the fuse block, under the vehicle’s hood. Most of these vehicles use one of two typical fuse blocks, pictured below.

The culprit is an electronic control module, which uses a transistor to switch the pump on and off, rather than a relay. These may be less expensive for GM, but you would never know it by the price. Many of these units are $1000.00 or more, from the GM dealer. Perhaps worse, you get the same design that was supplied with the vehicle.

Fortunately these units can be rebuilt, with better parts than the original and at a fraction of the cost. If you have a problem, AGCO can swap your General Motors, Kelsey Hayes ABS control module with a higher quality rebuilt part in about an hour and a half. AGCO. it’s the way to go!
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 3 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 3 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 61
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD cam ported

Postby RECox286 » April 15th 2011, 3:02pm

When this particular problem occured on our 01, I simply unplugged the connector at the pump, rather than have the battery go flat. ABS is good on paper, but lacks something in the field.
Or, Kelsey Hayes strikes again might be a better slogan.

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Orange Status (L5)
Orange Status (L5)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 31
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby rf overlord [OP] » April 16th 2011, 9:15pm

chevymaher, that article describes EXACTLY what happened to me...thanks.

Since this is a company vehicle, I'll let them decide what they want to do...they've already spent WAY too much money keeping this crate on the road, so I doubt they'll pay another grand plus labour this time around. Maybe I'll finally get the Escape Hybrid the company's been replacing the vans with. :-)
'01 Safari AWD
Original Poster [OP]
rf overlord
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: rf overlord has been a member for 6 full yearsrf overlord has been a member for 6 full yearsrf overlord has been a member for 6 full yearsrf overlord has been a member for 6 full yearsrf overlord has been a member for 6 full yearsrf overlord has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 5