Front brake wheel wobble.

Re: Front brake wheel wobble.

Postby 2000 AWD » August 9th 2011, 5:02pm

Mystrovan,...I have my 2000 awd in for the same problem. I am getting tires, idler arms full front & rear brake service (new rotors & pads..etc) I will post my results after fix. This is not the first time...I am the original owner. Usually rotors replaced seemed to do the trick. I think with all the weight up front on this van design it is hard on front brakes. Interested in reading your fix results.
2000 AWD
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: 2000 AWD has been a member for 2 full years2000 AWD has been a member for 2 full years
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Postby maximus7001 » August 9th 2011, 11:32pm

mystrovan wrote:Thanks everyone.
Yeh, might just try new rotors again. Its been a while. On the flat under normal braking they seem fine. I might even do the idlers again, I know they are Moog, lifetime guarantee or what ever they said, but that doesn't mean they won't wear! They feel firm on the van when I grab hold of them. Not like the old OEM ones. That way if the wobble persistes then I have done as much as I can in defense!

Nils

I went through this same thing until last year. New brake components did nothing to fix it over the years. Turned out to be the power steering pump which supplies the power boost for the brakes, it was pulsing in a way that made it feel like warped rotors and/or drums.
97 Safari SLT AWD
68 AMC Javelin SST
85 AMC Eagle wagon 4x4
97 Ford Contour
maximus7001
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: maximus7001 has been a member for 5 full yearsmaximus7001 has been a member for 5 full yearsmaximus7001 has been a member for 5 full yearsmaximus7001 has been a member for 5 full yearsmaximus7001 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 7
Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD 380000km

Postby 2000 AWD » August 10th 2011, 11:37am

Continued from previous post. Picked up the Van...rides like new. Put on BFG TA's touring...was told Michelin MS-2s would take months. I had some serious interior noise which I thought was tires also....turns out it was wheel bearing. Alot of new parts now, .... eats my holiday money up,that is for sure.
2000 AWD
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: 2000 AWD has been a member for 2 full years2000 AWD has been a member for 2 full years
Extra Info: 4.3L AWD

Postby lyle » August 16th 2011, 1:08pm

Hey guy's just wanted to give a big thank you for all your input, its great knowing that there is people out there that are willing to help!! I got the callipers off and new lifetime rotors and ceramic pads on, but when i took the old ones off, the drivers side pads shown that the bottom piston was doing the work. so replaced that calliper and only shows very little signs of feed back, but i think its my fault couse i used the old calliper for a couple of day's till i put the new one on, probably wore the pad a little.So I finally got done with the van (at least for now).It looks awesome! :banana: put new shocks on and had to put air shocks on the back becouse when loaded my new BFG rugged terrain a/t's rubbed (235-70-16) at the front of the rear wheel openings. with the 2" lift it seemed as though my rear axle got moved front some ?? hope this is normal with the overland lift. Any way's thank you all. :ty: lyle
lyle
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: lyle has been a member for 3 full yearslyle has been a member for 3 full yearslyle has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): lyle
Extra Info: safari 4.3 awd

Postby drmmhmd » August 19th 2011, 2:51pm

in the old days, the spring perch had a hole drilled in it and the locating pin in the spring cluster fit into it and positively located the rear end. the Safari van has a rubber cushion and there is a dimple in the spring perch so the nut on the spring cluster does not hit the perch. there is a lot of opportunity for the rear end to squirm around especially when you loosen off the ubolt and put a lift into it. when i put my lift in I drilled a piece of plate with a locating hole in it, clamped the spring cluster and flipped the bolt/pin so that the machined head (cylindrical) fit into the drilled plate. the drilled plate i welded at the ends to hold it onto the spring perch. this locates the springs exactly and does not allow the rearend to move around, additionally, you can center the rearend before you tack weld the locatiing plate. I also heated and knocked out the studs from the factory clamp and used bolts on the inner side of the setup, suppose i should take pictures. should you decide to replace the pin head bolt in the spring cluster any spring shop has them, i suppose GM parts counter would also. I don't see any difference since I tossed out the rubber cushions, doesn't squeak, no perceptible change in the ride. plus I centered my wheels in the rear end.
drmmhmd
Years of Membership: drmmhmd has been a member for 2 full yearsdrmmhmd has been a member for 2 full years
Extra Info: AWD 400 CID

Postby lyle » August 20th 2011, 6:37pm

drmmhmd, that sounds like a good way of doing it,but I was lloking at the front spring mounts and it looks as though I could un bolt the springs and then unbolt the the mounts and turn them around andbolt every thing back up, it lookes as though this would move my rear back about 1/2- 3/4 inch and therefor stop the rubbing at the front of the wheel opening. what do you think? Also my front end shimmy seems as though it is getting worse when i apply the brakes, did i just waste a bunch of money? what the hang can it be causing this. new pads,new rotors, new left caliper, and still getting nasty feedback through the brake pedle and the steering wheel, heck the whole van shakes, but the wierd thing is there are times it stops beutifully with out any problems? why?
lyle
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: lyle has been a member for 3 full yearslyle has been a member for 3 full yearslyle has been a member for 3 full years

Postby drmmhmd » August 21st 2011, 7:50am

lyle wrote:drmmhmd, that sounds like a good way of doing it,but I was lloking at the front spring mounts and it looks as though I could un bolt the springs and then unbolt the the mounts and turn them around andbolt every thing back up, it lookes as though this would move my rear back about 1/2- 3/4 inch and therefor stop the rubbing at the front of the wheel opening. what do you think? Also my front end shimmy seems as though it is getting worse when i apply the brakes, did i just waste a bunch of money? what the hang can it be causing this. new pads,new rotors, new left caliper, and still getting nasty feedback through the brake pedle and the steering wheel, heck the whole van shakes, but the wierd thing is there are times it stops beutifully with out any problems? why?

hmmm, dropping the spring hanger and rotating it is a lot more work than loosening off the ubolts and trying to move the rearend back a little. interesting idea, i know that there is one aftermarket hanger with 4 different positions. if it works, great, but if not, lots of work with little yield. it is amazing that the factory setup has no real positive locating setup but just a 'range' depending how careful you are when assembling. playing with the spring perches and factory clamp is quick and easy.maybe someone put the spring hangers on backwards before......

the braking thing is intriguing. generally, intermittent problems are not big dumb *** mechanical things but electronic or hydraulic controllers. the safari van has a hydraulic pump integrated with the power steering,, not sure which year was the first year. no vacuum booster. i saw one van in which a similar problem occurred with braking while turning only. anyhow, check your power steering fluid level,yah i know, weird. $20 aftermarket manuals are great for diagnosing these kinds of problems.

any front end shop can check your suspension, we do it for free, most shops do.
drmmhmd
Years of Membership: drmmhmd has been a member for 2 full yearsdrmmhmd has been a member for 2 full years
Extra Info: AWD 400 CID

Postby Wmurky » September 12th 2011, 9:50pm

i had a similar problem , i couldn't believe it was rotors because i had replaced them a little more than a year before.i'm not an aggressive driver, that causes accidents and more wear & tear on the vehicle, so i kept looking for front end wear whichi never found , bit the bullet and bought american made rotors, last ones were stamped china, wobble under braking in rough sections of road now gone.
Wmurky
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Wmurky has been a member for 2 full yearsWmurky has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Michael
Extra Info: LS 4.3L V6 AWD

Postby lyle » November 9th 2011, 8:35pm

well finally got the sh*ts of the brake shimmy crap and put another set of rotors on. still have the freaking problem, cant just keep throwing money away. the feedback and vibration has my passangers ready to jump out, they did not road test when i got it inspected so the wheel bearings should be fine and i didnt notice any play. I read on here about the power steering pump could be it ? how hard is that to replace and do you think that could be it ?? its soon about snow time and have no idea how it will handle in the slippery stuff.
lyle
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby Shad0wXCalibur » November 9th 2011, 8:53pm

Steering pump isn't hard. All you need is a power steering pulley remover/installer kit. I rented one out to do the one on my 87.
1987 Astro
2000 Safari
Shad0wXCalibur
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Shad0wXCalibur has been a member for 2 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 39
Extra Info: Lifted 2wd

Postby Lumpy » November 15th 2011, 3:25am

Shad0wXCalibur wrote:Steering pump isn't hard. All you need is a power steering pulley remover/installer kit. I rented one out to do the one on my 87.

I agree. And the AutoZone rebuilt pump I bought, clearly labeled Cardone, came with it's own
pully install tool. Couple hours job at most.

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 3 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 3 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 125
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 9 in. lift Camo

Postby moms98awd » July 25th 2012, 9:28pm

Im interested in the power steering issue being related to the brake issue...my mother's van still has the "death wobble" when the brakes are applied. It also jumps to the left side but immediately comes back center. There is also an issue with the power steering. Sometimes(most of the time) it whines, feels stiff and kind of clicks when turning the wheel left or right until you give it some gas and then it smoothes out and the whining and stiffness goes away. We've replaced rotors, pads, hub bearings, and the problem still exists...The calipers don't seem to be sticking, and my next idea was to change the rubber hoses up front. But now after reading that the power steering could have something to do with it, it seems like more than a coincidence that the two are acting up at the same time. I can't afford to keep throwing money at this van, so what do you guys think would be my best bet? Power steering pump or rubber lines? I understand that the lines are cheaper, but if its not going to fix the problem, it can wait imo. This thing is dangerous to drive and I absolutely NEED to get this taken care of. Which repair should I choose? Thanks
moms98awd
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: moms98awd has been a member for 2 full yearsmoms98awd has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 6
Extra Info: awd

Previous