Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

how to

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  johnny-77 
#1 ·
91 chevy astro, front disk brakes, getting ready to change and realize it dont have regular bolts holding it on, looks like big allen head wrech, what size is this. Im a back yard mechanic learning as i go. any other surprises im going to run in to. thanks for any help. Allen

#2 ·
It's 3/8". Most of the other fasteners on this van are Metric.

Start with an allen wrench. Later, when you have all the tools you need, go out and buy a Allen socket, it makes it a little easier.

I can't think of any other surprises that you can run into changing brakes.

#3 ·
I dont know how experienced you are so Im just throwing thies out thare. One hang the caliper no letting it dangle from its hose. Two clean and greese the slides good with high temp brake grease or never seaze. Three watch that you dont twist the brake hose on reassemble. And if you are using a allen key you are verry likely two nead a hammer to brake them lose. This is a good time if its rwd to clean and repack the bearings or at the verry lest cheak for loseness. Hope this helps and its not ment to be insulting if you have experience, but to be helpfull if you dont.

#5 ·
Ok boys what ya forget?????. :teasing-poke: :teasing-poke: You need to have(what I use) a "c-clamp" to compress the caliper.Think of it this way,the caliper is extended out to the point of the worn-out pads and you are replacing them with newer thicker pads thus you have to move the piston in the caliper back.Check the back side of the rotor where you will see the wear.If scored you "could" have them turned done to a point,but for me I perfer to replace them with OEM only rotors.Not the china knock-offs.With the OEM's I have a better peddle and trouble free results.These rotors(OEM's) are soooooooooo,cheap,it almost a no brainer.You'll need if you swap out rotors you will need new greese seals too and should repack the bearings.

Any other questions-for sure PM me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.