Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Quick Question about doing the front brakes...

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Shad0wXCalibur 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to do a front brake job(pads and rotars. I'll decide on the calipers once their off and I can inspect the boots) on my 98 Astro. Can anyone tell me what size the torque bit is required for the front calipers? I know its smaller than the T55 my Monte Carlo used.

Thanks!

thor124

#2 ·
Did you test fit the T55 to make sure ?
others here have said that what they used , it been over a year since I did mine , so I don't recall off hand what it was , if it comes to it you can go into a parts store , get a new bolt in hand and go to the tool aisle and test fit to find out which bit will fit

#3 ·
Phantom said:
Did you test fit the T55 to make sure ?
others here have said that what they used , it been over a year since I did mine , so I don't recall off hand what it was , if it comes to it you can go into a parts store , get a new bolt in hand and go to the tool aisle and test fit to find out which bit will fit
it is t55, you can buy new bolts with conventional heads to replace the t55 head. got mine at local brake rebuilder.

#10 ·
Mine were 3/8" too, I don't know if that is OE or not.

#12 ·
I'se had lots of different year vans, but they all had 3/8 Allen head bolts. Look again. I would bet if they aren't allen, they aren't factory, or possibly there was a fastener change for Gen 2.

(which I really doubt)

Bob

#16 ·
Maybe the torx bolts were used on the last few years of the Astro? Both my vans and the 94 S10 I used to have had allen head bolts. GM put them on a lot of vehicles. Bought an allen head socket set because of an 01 Chevy Cavalier we used to have. It was the first GM we had and when I went to replace the brake pads, I couldn't because I thought they would be normal bolts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.