How to turn off ABS/BRAKE lights due to EBCM

How to turn off ABS/BRAKE lights due to EBCM

Postby Rolling_Rock [OP] » August 14th 2012, 11:12pm

Hi I have a 2002 astro, typical ABS/BRAKE light on and off intermittently - Im sure its the EBCM which Im not about to replace or repair -

so anyone know a ghetto/redneck way to get the bulbs to shut off without using black tape?

I dont care to have a working ABS as Im used to cars without ABS, I just dont want the flickering abs/brake light nonsense/...

thanxxx

--RR
Original Poster [OP]
Rolling_Rock
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rolling_Rock has been a member for 3 full yearsRolling_Rock has been a member for 3 full yearsRolling_Rock has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 26
Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: cargo version

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: How to turn off ABS/BRAKE lights due to EBCM

Postby Corsemoto » August 14th 2012, 11:51pm

Are you used to cars without proper functioning brake proportioning valve? It's under $100 to have repaired and generally doesn't fail again, not to mention not having correct braking performance with it fixed. If having repaired, you can still drive with ebcm removed.

When ABS / brake lights engaged braking performance deteriorates due to Dynamic Rear Proportioning (DRP) being disabled.

ABS Indicator
The IPC illuminates the ABS indicator when the following occurs:
The Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) detects an ABS-disabling malfunction. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the EBCM requesting illumination.
The IPC performs the bulb check.
The IPC detects a loss of class 2 communications with the EBCM.

Brake Warning Indicator
The Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) illuminates the brake warning indicator when the following occurs:
The Body Control Module (BCM) detects that the park brake is engaged. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the BCM requesting illumination.
The EBCM detects a low brake fluid condition and sends a class 2 message to the IPC.
An ABS-disabling malfunction also disables dynamic rear proportioning (DRP).

Dynamic Rear Proportioning (DRP)
The dynamic rear proportioning (DRP) is a control system that replaces the hydraulic proportioning function of the mechanical proportioning valve in the base brake system.
The DRP control system is part of the operation software in the EBCM. The DRP uses active control with existing ABS in order to regulate the vehicle's rear brake pressure.
The red brake warning indicator is illuminated when the dynamic rear proportioning function is disabled.

Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 6 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 6 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 6 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 6 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 6 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 35
Year: 2004
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby ccookie66 » August 14th 2012, 11:53pm

Well, if there is a bulb that controls the ABS light, maybe you should take the bulb out? :shrug: I'm don't know, I'm sure someone on here can help you out.
The Astro is always a turn key away from adventure.
ccookie66
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: ccookie66 has been a member for 2 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 130
Year: 1993
Extra Info: V6 4.3 AWD EXT CPI

Postby Rolling_Rock [OP] » August 15th 2012, 2:30am

Corsemoto wrote:Are you used to cars without proper functioning brake proportioning valve? It's under $100 to have repaired and generally doesn't fail again, not to mention not having correct braking performance with it fixed. If having repaired, you can still drive with ebcm removed.

When ABS / brake lights engaged braking performance deteriorates due to Dynamic Rear Proportioning (DRP) being disabled.

ABS Indicator
The Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) detects an ABS-disabling malfunction. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the EBCM requesting illumination.

Brake Warning Indicator
The Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) illuminates the brake warning indicator when the following occurs:
The Body Control Module (BCM) detects that the park brake is engaged. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the BCM requesting illumination.
The EBCM detects a low brake fluid condition and sends a class 2 message to the IPC.

The dynamic rear proportioning (DRP) is a control system that replaces the hydraulic proportioning function of the mechanical proportioning valve in the base brake system.
The DRP control system is part of the operation software in the EBCM. The DRP uses active control with existing ABS in order to regulate the vehicle's rear brake pressure.
The red brake warning indicator is illuminated when the dynamic rear proportioning function is disabled.

Black tape it is...
Original Poster [OP]
Rolling_Rock
Years of Membership: Rolling_Rock has been a member for 3 full yearsRolling_Rock has been a member for 3 full yearsRolling_Rock has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 26
Year: 2002
Extra Info: cargo version

Postby thor124 » August 15th 2012, 6:44pm

Corsemoto wrote:Are you used to cars without proper functioning brake proportioning valve? It's under $100 to have repaired and generally doesn't fail again, not to mention not having correct braking performance with it fixed. If having repaired, you can still drive with ebcm removed.

ABS Indicator

Brake Warning Indicator

I find the bottom paragraph interesting. Whats the source of this information? Because I've had my ABS disabled for a year (pulled the 60A fuse) on my '98 Astro RWD, and only the ABS light is illuminated. The bottom paragraph of what you posted states that my brake light should also be illuminated. It ain't, and no the bulb isn't burnt out.

Personally I have no problem with WHEN my Astro activates its ABS, just the fact that when it triggers, all it does is seem to drastically reduce my braking power (foot goes nearly to the floor, and my stopping distance increases, ABS modulator under my seat makes lots of WRRRR noises).

Rolling_Rock wrote:Black tape it is...

I wouldn't do that for an intermittent problem! You would have no clue if the light was on or of, and thus no clue if your ABS is functioning or not. You wouldn't know in a emergency the ABS was going to be active or not.
thor124
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: thor124 has been a member for 3 full yearsthor124 has been a member for 3 full yearsthor124 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 9

Postby Corsemoto » August 15th 2012, 7:37pm

http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=13496#p144112

I should have prefaced for late-model as earlier models '96-'99 have different ebcm and proportioning compared to late model and this info is for KH325 module.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 6 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 6 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 6 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 6 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 6 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 35
Year: 2004
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby Bread Van » November 5th 2012, 6:18pm

So, on my 2003 if I have an ABS light illuminated but not the brake light illuminated is my dynamic proportioning valve functioning?
Bread Van
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Bread Van has been a member for 4 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 4 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 4 full yearsBread Van has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 36
Alias (AKA): mapper
Year: 2003
Extra Info: AWD 2 inch lift