Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

best rotors available

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  spongebob218 
#1 ·
Im looking for the highest quality (lifetime) front brake rotors for an early Safari '86

looking for input from only those that have put over 100,000 miles on them.

Ive managed to get over 200,000 on the originals, (never let the pads wear down)

Im thinking I'll go with OEM rotors since these have been great and only recently warped one pulling a trailer down a mountain but I doubt the quality is available that was in 1986. a performance aftermarket set is probably the best bet form long term. anyone have good results they can share?

mine are the hubrotors with bearings pressed into them, how easy can this be changed to seperate rotor/hub assemblies while retaining 5X5 lug pattern?

the '86 doenst have ABS, is there an upgraded master cylinder for these?

mine sees extream use so I want to improve the most important parts on it if I can (Brakes)

thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Go with OEM rotors. But this is what you do- go to the GM dealer and tell them you want AC Delco rotors, NOT GM.
They are the same rotors, from the same plant, built to the same specs, but in a different box....and 1/3 of the price!

As far as changing to captured rotors...it can be done, but it turns into a nightmare! You have to change spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers, hoses, master, etc...aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

#3 ·
gtkane said:
Go with OEM rotors. But this is what you do- go to the GM dealer and tell them you want AC Delco rotors, NOT GM.
They are the same rotors, from the same plant, built to the same specs, but in a different box....and 1/3 of the price!
is that a fact? can anyone confirm this?

As far as changing to captured rotors...it can be done, but it turns into a nightmare! You have to change spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers, hoses, master, etc...aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh![/quote]

Im still intrested in these rotors for my next project, who has done it, is there a thread? I want to upgrade everything from the sub-frame up. mabey even tube type A-frames! thanks

#4 ·
I'm not sure what the difference is between 86 and 90, but Powerslot makes an awesome slotted rotor, only for 90-up though. I installed a set of these on a 2005 Silverado and there still look brand new after 20k, with no pulsation. When they get hot, like coming down a long hill, they will start to hum, but will quiet up quickly afterward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.