Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

HOW I DISABLED my ABS (1995 SAFARI AWD)

54K views 85 replies 31 participants last post by  tomd 
#1 ·
Ok guys I have the answer to the question. How do I disable my ABS system. This is NOT the correct fix, but the cheapest for me!
I have a friend who is a fully certified mechanic get me the diagram for the ABS system for my 95 safari and we figured the best way to disable it is to cut the main power going to the ABS pump so heres a step by step of what I did.

1. Pull the battery out, disconnect the ground first then the positive.
2. The ABS control unit is under the master brake cylinder, follow the wiring harness from the unit up to behind where the battery was.
3. There you will see two plugs, one has about 4 or 5 small gauge wires, the other has one big red wire, this is the power wire for the ABS pump, unplug it
4. I wrapped it with electrical tape to keep out dirt and water.
5 Install battery in reverse order of removing it. (REMEMBER YOU NO LONGER HAVE ABS BRAKES NOW)
Now when I took it for a test ride it did take care of the problem I had with the ABS acting up when I was coming to a stop, but now the ABS light is on, so the next fix was a piece of electrical tape over the warning light...lol it works.....I did see online somewhere where you could install a diode in the plug so the computer thinks the ABS is still connected and the light won't come on, but thats another story......

Now my buddy said the correct fix is most likely that one or both of the front hubs with the sensors in them need to be replaced, but that cost money!..lol
So good luck, hope this helps for the guys who wanted to know!

See less See more
#3 ·
When I would get to around 8 or 9 mph when braking, the ABS would act strange and not brake correctly, almost rear ended someone . I was told it is most likely the abs wheel sensors, on my van there like $50 each plus labor, so this was the cheapest solution.
But the ABS light does stay on, fixed that with electrical tape :lol!:

#4 ·
It sounds like you may have the very typical GM rusty front sensor mounting area or an actual bad front sensor. Cleaning the mounting surface underneith the sensors often fixes the issue. It fixed mine on the Safari and also my Yukon last year. :banana:

Anyway.. On to my big question...... On the later years awd vans disabling the abs also disables the awd as the two systems share the transfer case rear driveshaft speed sensor. Apparently the abs & awd control modules talk to each other. I know on my 2001 the awd will not engage if the abs light is on for any reason or if I disabled abs by pulling the fuse. The abs has to be working to have the awd work.

I wish I could find out how to disable the abs alone and keep the awd working! :cussing:

#5 ·
You and I both, HeresPaco.

Maybe it's a mechanical solution rather than electrical, to physically disengage the ABS pump from the brake system. That way the electronics will be unaffected meanwhile no actual anti-locking action is being done.

Ideally, I would like to have a way to switch ABS on-the-fly, because it is useful in SOME situations.

#6 ·
I have a 2WD and have thought more than once to disable ABS (not sure whether I like it or not) and was going to just pull the fuse - haven't done it as ABS is good in a panic - though I don't really like it in the snow, but use it to max in the slick stuff anyhow. :driving:

#7 ·
i've got the same prob, and still havnt fixed it also bcuz of the price it cost to fix, but it i knew the sensors were only 50 i wouldve replaced them just to get that out of the way but, i keep seeing them for bout 100 and up a piece so i ddidnt bother, great post, i also wanted to knw how to disable the abs. my ABS kicks in at bout 5mph almost rear end ppl everyday but ive learned how to control it, the weird thing is that my abs and brake light come on after bout 10min of stop n go driving, but my AWD still works with the abs light on!!weird or common for this prob??? :confused:

#8 ·
Correct me if I"m wrong, but the AWD on a 95, is always AWD. There is no switch or lever to switch from 2WD to AWD. You can remove a halfshaft and make it 2WD. That's the difference between 4WD and AWD. 4WD you can turn on and off, AWD is always AWD.

I can only speak for 95s and a 93 I worked on. If the newer ones had that feature, please let me know.

#10 ·
thyubernoob said:
My 1995 has AWD full time, no switch.
Also removing the half shafts, I dont believe will save you that much gas because your still turning the gears in the transfer case and front diff. :2:
I don't recommend removing the halfshaft(s), I only stated that as a means to an end. Actually, you can save gas by removing the halfshaft to the front differential. It's not the fact that the gears are still spinning, its how power is being transferred though the drivetrain. An AWD drivetrain has more parasitic draw that a 2WD drivetrain. That is, every friction spot (joint, meshing of gears, universals, etc) creates more parasitic draw. That means that an AWD system requires more power to operate than a 2WD setup.

#13 ·
I've heard people say that before but I have never been able to verify it. All of my information says nothing about it being an "on demand" setup. And the newest AWD van I have worked on is a 95 so that really doesn't help. Maybe someone else can shed some light on the issue.

#14 ·
Hey i did some research and found this small article, hopefully it answers our confusions!!

"The 1999 Astro van enters this model year with few changes. New for 1999 are a number of refinements. An available roof console with a trip computer provides fuel economy, trip range, fuel used and elapsed time for traveling. The previous all-wheel-drive system has been replaced with a new state-of-the art system with an active transfer case which will allow the Astro to normally operate in two-wheel-drive until it senses slipping and will immediately transfer torque to the front wheels. Medium Charcoal Gray Metallic and Medium Bronzemist Metallic are two new exterior colors for 1999. The Max and LT packages were introduced this year to simplify the model lineup. Also new this year, are running boards to ease entry and exit."

#19 ·
HeresPaco said:
...I know on my 2001 the awd will not engage if the abs light is on for any reason or if I disabled abs by pulling the fuse. The abs has to be working to have the awd work.

I wish I could find out how to disable the abs alone and keep the awd working!
That's odd. On my 2003 AWD van, pulling the fuse results in the brake and ABS lights coming on, but the AWD works fine--or at least as well as the newer AWD works, which means it kicks at inopportune moments... :banghead: One other real issue is that it's impossible to get the van inspected with the idiot lights for the brake system on...

There's something else I'd like to point out. You're modifying the brake system by disabling a component of it. If you get into an accident like that and someone is seriously injured or killed you could be on heck of a legal bind.

#20 ·
chemist said:
HeresPaco said:
...I know on my 2001 the awd will not engage if the abs light is on for any reason or if I disabled abs by pulling the fuse. The abs has to be working to have the awd work.

I wish I could find out how to disable the abs alone and keep the awd working!
That's odd. On my 2003 AWD van, pulling the fuse results in the brake and ABS lights coming on, but the AWD works fine--or at least as well as the newer AWD works, which means it kicks at inopportune moments... :banghead: One other real issue is that it's impossible to get the van inspected with the idiot lights for the brake system on...

There's something else I'd like to point out. You're modifying the brake system by disabling a component of it. If you get into an accident like that and someone is seriously injured or killed you could be on heck of a legal bind.
I see what your saying about the legal side of it, but! It was very dangerous the way it was. I would hit the brakes and it was just hard pedal and then it would just pulse very hard and wouldnt stop, almost rear ended the car in front me and like most folks on here I can't afford a nice size mechanic bill! thx

#23 ·
Did anyone figure out what the real problem is with the ABS system coming on at every stop?

My 2000 safari AWD just started doing the same damn thing and I almost rear ended a few people. :screaming:

My ABS light was on so I installed a new front right sensor ($60 from ebay). The ABS light went out but now my ABS system is acting all weird and coming on everytime I stop. It's VERY DANGEROUS! I have to assume that since the ABS light is no longer on, my other sensor/s are ok? I don't want to buy and install another $60 sensor if I don't have to. But... what else could it be?

:feedback:

#24 ·
It IS very dangerous. I think someone else on this forum almost crashed into a building because of it. I know I've had some close calls. The problem is caused by rust between the wheel speed sensor and the reluctor ring. If you search the forum there should be the TSB posted about it, or your dealer might be able to print it for you.

My bearings wore out a little while ago so I had to replace the whole hub ($550!! The mechanic said it's the most expensive he's ever seen) which contains the sensor assembly, and now the problem is gone.

#26 ·
You can replace the sensor as many times as you want and it won't fix the problem.
You have to clean the reluctor ring, and then test the sensor reading to make sure it's within spec. Or replace the whole hub.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.