Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

power steering pump removal

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  baily144 
#1 ·
Hi

can anyone give me clear details on how to get the power steering pump out of a 2003 astro rwd. i have a manual but its not that clear. pulley off first and the bolts are behind the pulley ? can the whole bracket be removed with the pump still bolted on.

any help please .

Alex

#4 ·
The adaptor that the oil cooler lines connect to can be removed when you change the oil. Pull the filter and you'll see the 2 bolts that need to be removed, I think they are torx, the adaptor comes out, remove the oil filter nipple from the adaptor and install it back into the block.

Working on these trucks can be a challenge but most of it is pretty simple. Unless it is an emergency roadside repair whenever I do a repair I clean and inspect everything on the way in, make the intended repair and when putting it back together I'll replace repair and upgrade on the way out. Any wear item get changed, every wire gets wiped w/ WD40 and inspected again, disconnect and dielectric grease all elec connections particularly grounds, rust treatment or repair.

I look at it like a car payment, sure it can be a PITA at times but your labor does not depreciate when you pull out the drive, if you put a little more effort in you get a lot more out. My white wench has been working hard for me for 160,000 miles and I got her w/ 125,000, and still chugs along.

My '93 is a toy, I'm an astroholic and my name is Bruce,,,, :rofl:
She doesn't do MPG but instead SPG, smiles per gallon. She isn't new, doesn't come with a nav dash, no heads up display and she won't wipe your butt for you but she's paid for and I'll keep her that way with my little toolkit. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.