Power Steering Pump Compare/Review

Power Steering Pump Compare/Review

Postby Lumpy [OP] » February 20th 2011, 11:55pm

I just spent a couple of days hunting down a reman PS Pump.
Found some interesting comparison points between NAPA vs AutoZone.

NAPA -
Total cost, after core exchange, $47.

Not in stock, but they ordered it from their
local regional distribution place and it arrived later that same day.

From their Ad copy...
"Quality Assurance Testing : Each Pump Is Computer Tested To Measure Pressure,
Bypass, Fluid Flow, Valve Operation, Steering Effort And Noise.
Guaranteed Performance Every Time."

When I went to pickup the pump, I took in my old core for comparison.
There was no mounting stud on the rear of the new pump. NAPA guy said
"You'll have to remove the stud from your old pump and use it on the new one".
Since I was about to hand him the old pump, not interested in taking it back home,
wrenching off the stud etc, I said - "Do you have an 18mm wrench? I'll take it off
if you don't want to get greasy". He whined a bit, grabbed some SAE size wrench
that didn't really fit, and eventually got it off.

Now I tried to install the stud on the new pump. It wouldn't fit. He said I'd have
to loosen the pump to reservoir mounting bolts, roatate the pump a bit so that
the housing and the stud hole would line up, then retighten the bolts. He also said
"You shouldn't have to install a new O ring on the pump [to reservoir] if you're careful".

This bothered me that I was going to have to "remanufacture" the remanufactured pump.
I told him I wasn't interested and he could keep it.

Also worth noting was that the NAPA pump did have plastic seals on the high and low
pressure connections, as expected, but the filler neck opening did NOT have a seal.
It came in a cardboard box with a paper towel under it to absorb the light oil it might
drip. But the thing was open to any dust/dirt/bug poop that might find it's way
into the opening.

Also worth noting was that two feet of low pressure, 3/8" ID hose was $11 at NAPA.

AutoZone -
Total cost, after core exchange, $35.

Also not in stock, arrived the following day.

AutoZone guy suggested "Keep your core till you exchange it so we can
be sure everything matches up".

When the new pump arrived it was in a sealed plastic bag. All the openings,
oil and filler, were plugged with a plastic plug. Mounting stud was already in
place, I didn't have to remove the old one from my old pump.

Pulley instal tool was INCLUDED with the AutoZone pump. I didn't have to rent the loaner
tool to put the pulley back on.

Two feet of low pressure hose at AutoZone was $4. Vs $11 at NAPA.

Bottom line -
NAPA - $47 / AutoZone - $35
NAPA - pump openings not dust sealed / AutoZone - sealed
NAPA - mount stud not included, wouldn't line up / AutoZone - Stud already mounted
NAPA - Pulley mount tool required / AutoZone - Pulley mount tool included
NAPA - Counter guy generally a butt head about my dissatisfaction with the pump /
AutoZone - Counter guy a pleasure to deal with

Both pumps lifetime warranty.

Um,,,I bought the AutoZone pump

Lump the Pump
Original Poster [OP]
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 159
Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Power Steering Pump Compare/Review

Postby redfury » February 21st 2011, 1:34am

that was worth reading, thank you for the comparison. I'm not anti Autozone since I've had a relative work there, and my neighbor works there also. I've had good luck with them.

I've also had good luck with NAPA, but around here, the place for me to get my parts from first is Welle Auto supply. The guys behind the counter all know there stuff. Autozone and NAPA are good too, at least the people I deal with are. O Reilly/Champion/Big Wheel Rossi/whatever they decide to call themselves next....they don't see me unless I'm desperate or everything else is closed. I'll go to the dealership first. Both stores around me are full of idiots that really don't give a crap about what you are trying to do.

Customer service gets me to pay the premium price in some stores.

However, if the QUALITY is better somewhere else, let's hear about it!

I have to replace my pump, so I think I will hit up my Autozone first. Mine whines and leaks.

Just out of curiosity, how hard is it to get the pulley off the pump and get the pump out of the van?
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 3 full yearsredfury has been a member for 3 full yearsredfury has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 43
Alias (AKA): Mike
Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby paintdrying » February 21st 2011, 1:50am

Just checked rock auto, was like 25 bucks for a 2000. 7 dollar core. With all that mailing back and forth, would probably go to autozone. Can these pumps be rebuilt?
1999 chevy astro van awd ls 108,000 miles
parts van 2000 astro rwd 279,000 miles
paintdrying
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 3 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 3 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 94
Extra Info: 108 000

Postby Lumpy [OP] » February 21st 2011, 2:51am

redfury wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how hard is it to get the pulley off the pump and get the pump out of the van?

Getting the pulley off was pretty easy. Used the rental/loaner tool.
Pay $30 for the tool, return it within 48 hrs and get a refund.

I didn't have to remove the fan or shroud to access the removal bolt head.
Lots of 1/8 turns with a box end in the cramped quarters. Socket would have been
too big to fit. A ratchet end box wrench would
have made things quicker. But it was relatively painless.

Getting the pump out was pretty simple. 14 or 15mm bolts/nuts. 18mm high pressure hose.
Hose clamp low pressure hose. Aluminum roasting pan under the area to catch drips.

You have to take the pulley off while the pump is ON the van, before you can
remove the mounting bolts/nuts. Install will, of course, be the reverse. Put the
pulley on last.

Lump
Original Poster [OP]
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full years

Postby kennyj » February 21st 2011, 4:00am

Hi Lumpy,
Thanks for starting this topic; I'm looking at changing my ps pump pretty soon.

Did your new Autozone pump come with the reservoir? The places I checked around here, Advance, O'reilly, Napa, all stock a bare pump for around $35. Pumps with the reservoir are special order and like $100 or more.
ImageImage
kennyj
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: kennyj has been a member for 4 full yearskennyj has been a member for 4 full yearskennyj has been a member for 4 full yearskennyj has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 34
Alias (AKA): Kenny
Year: 1998
Extra Info: RWD 190k miles

Postby Lumpy [OP] » February 21st 2011, 5:11am

kennyj wrote:Hi Lumpy,
Did your new Autozone pump come with the reservoir?...

Yes it did come installed into the reservoir. AutoZone part #7097.

Online price a few dollars higher than the in-store price.
I guess I misquoted the final price in my earlier post.

Final price, after core trade -
Autozone $53.99
NAPA $57.97

I was figuring the core twice.

So still, bottom line, AutoZone had a better pump at a lower price.

Lump
Original Poster [OP]
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby a2l1 » February 21st 2011, 7:04am

Advance Auto is about the same thing. Like the two stores were separated at birth. I use the Advance because it is closer. The only difference is it seems that at either Advance or AutoZone they have kids there that havent a clue what you are talking about and dont know where to look for it. In all fairness I did run across one Napa guy like that.
The parts warranties are about the same and either one has a no hassle return policy. I do buy most of my parts at Advance Auto or at Amazon.com and use their free shipping. Little more of a hassle returning a part to Amazon so be sure you use their "will this part fit your car guide" that will make any return much easier.
Just my opinion, Hope it can help someone
1995 Regency conversion really a work in progress !!
Hernando County - West Central Florida
a2l1
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: a2l1 has been a member for 3 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 3 full yearsa2l1 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): A J
Extra Info: 4.3-auto-RWD

Postby 97cargocrawler » January 9th 2014, 5:22pm

I kinda poked around and didn't see anything...and it seems a whole lot of people have been having their PS pumps fail lately.

I wonder, is there any super heavy duty pump from another larger vehicle that will fit and bolt right up to the stock bracket? Say something from a 1500, 2500, 3500 series Express van or Savana...
97cargocrawler
Red Status (L3)
Red Status (L3)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 2 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 36
Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby c.zhou57 » January 11th 2014, 4:20am

Cargo,

When trying to diagnose my steering issue (in my other thread http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=17806), I found out that GM (and others) used the same pump for plenty of years and models. Looking at the compatibility chart at Oreilly's website, the pump (without housing) fits 1844 Chevys, 105 Cadillacs, 587 Fords, 78 Jeeps, etc etc. It is a very common part that is used in a lot of other applications.. so the 1500, 2500, etc are using the same exact pump up to around the year 2000.

The main difference between the models is the housing and bypass valve. From what I understand, the bypass valve regulates the flow and pressure of the system, and is located behind the high pressure line at the pump.

I came across this information from the offroad crowd. With big, heavy mud tires and uneven weight distribution while rock crawling, the assist needed to turn the wheel is huge. So some will modify their stock pump to put out more pressure and flow for off-road use.

The mods are installing a new shim at the bypass piston for more pressure, drilling out the orifice for more flow, and stretching out the spring to hold pressure better.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/ ... eringmods/
http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/p ... ering.html

I am considering trying and see if it will fix my problems in the other thread. It does have its downsides, though. The rest of the system may not handle it and may blow the seals of the hydroboost or steering gear.
c.zhou57
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: c.zhou57 has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 4
Year: 1996
Extra Info: AWD

Postby 97cargocrawler » January 11th 2014, 4:45am

Interesting bits of info! Thanks! My main concern is snapping the shaft like what has been happening lately to even the stock vans.

With my TECH2 computer I know there's a menu item that allows me to adjust the electronic orifice in the pump. My only worry then is that at high speeds I may have too much pressure.

I was hoping the heavy duty vans had heavy duty pumps. Bummer. I guess I may have to look into aftermarket pumps designed for larger lifted trucks with big wheels.
97cargocrawler
Red Status (L3)
Red Status (L3)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 2 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 36
Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby c.zhou57 » January 11th 2014, 8:09pm

To add to Lumpy's original post, I think your mileage may vary with Autozone pumps. The Duralast brand sources from many places dending on prices, availiablity, or region.

I just replaced the PS pump on my van with a reman from Duralast. I'm in CA if that matters. It was rebuilt from Atasco and was inside a large heavy duty ziplock bag in the box. It was coated all over with red transmission oil. The lines and ports were all capped, and inside the pump was more transmission oil from when they tested it before shipping. I had to remove the studs from the old pump and put them on the new one.

A1 Cardone is another company that does a lot of the rebuilds. Not sure if they're stocked at Autozones in different regions or not. My old pump was an A1 Cardone that was bought from Advance in GA. Can't remember if it had the studs or not.

The old Cardone pump had a slight hum from new that wouldn't go away. The hum increases as rpms go up. The new Atasco pump is quiet at idle and will only hum at full lock like normal. But I've done a cardone pump on my other van and it was normal just like my new atasco.

I think the verdict out there is that it's a luck of the draw. The quality of the pump depends on how the tech rebuilt it or how he was feeling that day... factors we can't tell looking at the box. I do like that the Atasco pumps had signs of being tested, even though they used atf instead of power steering fluid.

On another note. A new AC Delco pump on Amazon is 93 dollars shipped prime without a core fee. A reman would cost you 60 buck and with a core return. If I had known that before doing my pump I would have went that route.
c.zhou57
Years of Membership: c.zhou57 has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 4
Year: 1996
Extra Info: AWD