Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

power steering problem

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  redfury 
#1 ·
I replaced my pump about ayear ago got stuck in snow and nowits winning andonly works when i rev engine andbrakesaint working good i checked fluid and its all full. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
I'm hoping you posted this with a smart phone or other device and not your computer and Keyboard. But I digress..
Check your fluid level first, make sure it isn't foaming. With the engine running and the cap off, you should see power steering fluid being pumped back into the reservoir. Sounds like your new pump isn't building pressure. Make sure you don't have any kinked lines from getting stuck in the snow

#3 ·
How did you purge the system when you R&R'd the pump. Whining may be a sign that there is air still trapped in the system.

Uncle Bob

(Sent using "Wing and Prayer" technology on "Fly-by-night" hardware.)

#4 ·
Turn steering lock to lock numerous times. Foamy fluid is an indication of Ir trapped in the system. "Gravity bleed" by leaving the cap off overnight to allow air to escape. Make sure you have the right ps fluid, check all lines for kinks cracks or wet spots. It is possible that the pump is bad poor braking and hard steering are caused be this, as th ps pump also runs the brake booster.

#6 ·
Fixed, the deep snow I went threw pushed the plug onto the p/s braket and broke the top of female plug and bent one prong so I had to brake the bottom part of female to bend the other prong back. Now I have to rig a way to keep them connected, maybe some elec. grease and zip tie. The plug is free flow so it moves which is a dumb design id say.

#7 ·
Fixed, the deep snow I went threw pushed the plug onto the p/s braket and broke the top of female plug and bent one prong so I had to brake the bottom part of female to bend the other prong back. Now I have to rig a way to keep them connected, maybe some elec. grease and zip tie. The plug is free flow so it moves which is a dumb design id say.

#11 ·
I replaced the evo valve on the pump and its still not working right I still have to rev engine to get any pressure to steer and it whins real loud when I rev it and turn the wheel, now is there a chance to pump is bad now? I took everything off and all lines are fine and I don't see nothing wrong with them I put new ones on a year ago all of them got replaced. I drove it about 6 diff. times a few miles cause I needed to use it. would that of fried the pump? I just don't want to waste anymore time and money on this p/s crap, I payed $40 just for the evo valve at a junk yard and still nothing diff. I need my van run asap I have a new job and need a 2ed ride asap. Im soooooo sick of the p/s problems with this van.

#12 ·
Well, the pump can be had for $38 rebuilt, you just have to replace the reservoir with the old one, and the way you describe it, the pump could be shot, unless there is a problem with the valve you installed. That valve is designed to adjust the amount of assist the pump gives the steering depending on the speed of the vehicle.

#13 ·
I noticed after I put everything back together when I tried bleeding system I was getting no bubbles in the reservoir and nothing seemed to be flowing even when I had some one rev the motor. Im thinking of getting the pump with the evo valve and the filter built into it so I don't have to do this crap again. The place I got the last pump don't have anything in there system that I got it from them and I cant find receipt so ill be going to advanced cause they keep stuff in there system. I hate shaddy places, so know I have to pay for another damn pump which sucks.

#14 ·
yeah, one of the nice things about going to an auto store that keeps your file on record...in this day and age, it's almost a no brainer that this is the way you operate a business. If you aren't seeing any flow in the reservoir, then I'd say your pump is either shot or you have a restriction ( kinked hose ) or something along those lines. I'd get the power steering filter as well to avoid having to worry about doing this again. Nice to be able to change a filter infrequently than have to deal with another pump. I'm replacing my pump as soon as IT STOPS FRIGGIN' SNOWING IN APRIL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.