hydroboost

hydroboost

Postby tnhillbilly [OP] » February 28th 2009, 5:40am

I had to replace the pressure hose from the pump to the hydroboost and it has whined ever since. I did the wheel turn lock to lock several times while up on jackstands and mashed the brakes a few times and nothing has helped. I have never owned anything with hydroboost before and I was wondering if there is a certain way to bleed the air out. Thanks in advance.
1996 Safari high top conversion rwd 175,000 miles original engine, tranny, and rear end.
Original Poster [OP]
tnhillbilly
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: tnhillbilly has been a member for 5 full yearstnhillbilly has been a member for 5 full yearstnhillbilly has been a member for 5 full yearstnhillbilly has been a member for 5 full yearstnhillbilly has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 22

Re: hydroboost

Postby ASTROJOE LT1 » February 28th 2009, 6:23am

I had the same problem after I converted my 1989 to hydoboost system. I finally just let it sit overnight and tried the next morning and it was fine again.
Joe
89 ASTRO CL Shorty,95 Corvette LT1 Engine,4L60E, 3.42 Gears with a Torsen Posi,Black on Gray ( Original Color )
ImageImage
ASTROJOE LT1
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: ASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 6 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 6 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 6 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 6 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 6 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 3
Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 95 LT1 Engine

Postby astro355 » February 28th 2009, 9:14am

There's a procedure for it involving turning the wheel from lock to lock and pumping the brake pedal at the same time. I can't remember it off-hand but if you still need it monday, I can look it up for you.
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 57
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby tnhillbilly [OP] » March 1st 2009, 11:58pm

Hi astro355, if you can get me the bleeding procedure I would appreciate it. I fooled with it yesterday and still can't get it to quit.
:ty:
1996 Safari high top conversion rwd 175,000 miles original engine, tranny, and rear end.
Original Poster [OP]
tnhillbilly
Years of Membership: tnhillbilly has been a member for 5 full yearstnhillbilly has been a member for 5 full yearstnhillbilly has been a member for 5 full yearstnhillbilly has been a member for 5 full yearstnhillbilly has been a member for 5 full years

Postby tnhillbilly [OP] » March 8th 2009, 2:55pm

I used the bleeding procedure I got form astro355 :ty: and I still have a whine. It is not coming from the pump. It appears to be coming from the hydroboost itself. You can't hear any noise under the hood or outside the van. It is the worst sitting still idling or moving slow. You don't hear it at highway speed. Any ideas on how to stop it? It is driving me nuts. :banghead: I also have put gm fluid in it. I may try taking the return hose off at the hydroboost and plugging it and running a hose to a jug and see if it will bleed out that way. Any help appreciated.
Original Poster [OP]
tnhillbilly

Postby 96moneypit » March 16th 2009, 4:18am

my 96 with 150,00 miles does the same thing after replacing the same hose.i have tried flushing and bleeding. still have the noise. hope a member has the answer
96moneypit
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: 96moneypit has been a member for 5 full years96moneypit has been a member for 5 full years96moneypit has been a member for 5 full years96moneypit has been a member for 5 full years96moneypit has been a member for 5 full years

Postby spongebob218 » March 16th 2009, 11:50am

Did you use a hose from GM or was it aftermarket? These vans don't seem to like aftermarket parts for some reason.

Maybe try using a vucuum pump on the reservior fill. Use a large adapter that fits the fill hole, pump it up(vacuum), and leave sit for a while. This should get some air out of the system. I have to do this all the time at work on GMC Acadias and it works.
You ain't nothin' unless you have green plugs.
spongebob218
Years of Membership: spongebob218 has been a member for 5 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 5 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 5 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 5 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 2

Postby traxxasmike » June 1st 2009, 2:49am

Fill your power steering fluid to the correct level and leave the cap off with the engine running. Slowly turn your wheel full lock to one side and hit the brake for a few seconds. Then slowly turn it the opposite way to full lock and hold the brake again. Make sure you add more fluid if needed and replace the cap. Thats what I did after having it disconnected during a motor swap and my whine is gone.
1994 Chevy Astro, CPI Vortec engine, rebuilt transmission with high energy clutches and kevlar bands. Fairbanks Billet 2-4 apply servo. Cold air intake. 3" high flow cat, edelbrock sdt muffler. 3.73 gears. Mattress in the back!
traxxasmike
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: traxxasmike has been a member for 5 full yearstraxxasmike has been a member for 5 full yearstraxxasmike has been a member for 5 full yearstraxxasmike has been a member for 5 full yearstraxxasmike has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 3
Extra Info: 4.3L CPI V6 RWD