Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

steering box! or what it is look like...

3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  raziko 
#1 ·
hellow fellows.
i playing with the steering box just to realized something,step one,i open the nut,then i open the helen screw to the end, then i lock the nut on the helen screw,then i drive and i feel a littel play in the steering!!!
step two,i am open the nut,then i close the helen screw to the end,then i lock the nut,then i drive and... there is no play in the steering and it littel hard to use,but little,if i really concentrate on befor & after i feel the difference!
so what is that???.
any one here really know what the center screw of the steering box do??? (the helen female screw that lock himself with the nut)
what for GM put the helen/nut option on the steering box???
i want to understand it once and for all
please i ask for someone with knowledge
(some objects in the image is missing,please open it to see all of it)
any replay be appreciated...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
There are 2 gears in the steering box. The part you are playing with adjust the amount of play between them. To much play and it wanders and the wheel is loose. To tight zero play and there to much pressure on the gears. One good pothole and you can chip one. 1/4 to 1/2 inch play in the steering wheel is what you should have.
From your description you have them binding. Which will cause damage to the steering box.

#3 ·
chevymaher said:
There are 2 gears in the steering box. The part you are playing with adjust the amount of play between them. To much play and it wanders and the wheel is loose. To tight zero play and there to much pressure on the gears. One good pothole and you can chip one. 1/4 to 1/2 inch play in the steering wheel is what you should have.
From your description you have them binding. Which will cause damage to the steering box.
thanks for your answer!
chevy i fix all the steering system at/in my mechanic man
the hydrobooster steering,the pump steering,and the box steering
i realized that there is two kind of box steering!
something like a "FE2" box steering (a soft steering)
could be that he put in my van a standart box and no what i have befor,the previos owner was a invalid,the steering was so soft befoe the mechanic replace a reconditioned box.
i must say that now i fil the steering with "Valvoline max-life" ATF red fluid

(FE2 steering???)

thanks chevy!

#4 ·
The 2 different steering boxes are just the number of times you turn the steering wheel from lock to lock.
Normal is 2 1/2 turns I believe and sport steering is less like 1 3/4. Markmitch has it in his rally sport van. Like I said I am not sure on the exact number of turns but you get the idea.

#5 ·
chevymaher said:
The 2 different steering boxes are just the number of times you turn the steering wheel from lock to lock.
Normal is 2 1/2 turns I believe and sport steering is less like 1 3/4. Markmitch has it in his rally sport van. Like I said I am not sure on the exact number of turns but you get the idea.
:think:
you know where is the identification number/model on the box???

you have the 2 names of the 2 boxs???

thanks chevy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.