Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

power steering pump bracket on back of pump

7K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  AstroWill 
#1 ·
ok so i got the power steering pump off and my question is about that lil bracket on the back of the pump. Does that bracket have to be put back on? Because the new(reman) pump i bought doesnt have the mounting studs on the back of it like the original one did. I mean i can see how those front bolts are probably sturdy enough but be4 i put it back together i figured id ask... Thanks in advance guys

#2 ·
Yes it does. Otherwise the belt tension will torque the pump away toward the front. Cracked accessory bracket (the horseshoe) will be the result. Happened to mine.

On my older style pump, that stud is not part of the pump. I had to remove it from the replacement pump. Looks like a threaded rod with a nut in the middle. I think the two sizes of threads are different. One size goes IN to the pump, a different size sticks OUT for attachment to that bracket.

All that is in a Gen I pump without hydroboost. Newer styles may be very different. But either way, I'm pretty sure you really nead that rear support.

Lump

#5 ·
well lets keep my fingers crossed that it lasts a while cause i waited as long as i could to get a response but couldnt wait i had to get it back together.. but thanks for the info.. the old pumps already turned in and gone plus the studs were all rusted out.. the previous owner had the van sitting for almost 3 years.. so far ive had to replace brake lines power steering pump and power steering lines due to rust... so i guess i ll keep my fingers crossed, if something else goes bad i ll have to fix it or get another vehicle..

#6 ·
Do u guys know if a dealer would be able to order bolts like that? also if im able to get those bolts do yas know if i get underneath and take them bolts out 1 at a time (take 1 bolt replace wit stud then on to next) will that cause ther pump to leak? cause im really dreading having to take it all apart again when i get a hold of some of them studs.. thanks agin guys

#7 ·
I decided to add to this old thread just because this bracket caused me a pretty big headache when replacing my PS pump. My s****y repair manual provided no pictures or descriptions of the rear bracket or mounting locations so I had no idea what I was looking for. Hopefully this will save somebody some hassle...

What I have learned:

• Before starting your PS replacement job, take the time to slide under your van and VERIFY whether yours has the bracket on the rear. Mine is a 2000 and had it...I'm assuming all 2nd gen have it but I'm not certain.

• Auto parts sites will NOT accurately tell you if your pump requires the bracket (and therefore the studs on the rear of the pump). They will assume that you'll be able to move the studs from your old pump to the new one, and will sell you a pump with bolts populating the holes, that you will have to remove. Do not rely on them...LOOK.

• I was only able to remove 1 of the 2 studs from my old pump, and neither of the bolts from the new pump. They were really on there. To make it worse, the studs have a very shallow hex head on them...so there is little for a wrench or socket to "bite" onto. Also, the pumps are round and covered with oil...very hard to hold onto.

• I finally returned the "wrong" studless pump and got the correct one, which made my life much easier. The only downside to this pump was that it did not come with new o-rings for the PS hose and I had to get that separately

"Correct" pump with studs

Bracket. Two blue arrows show pump mounting holes, red arrow mounts to block.

Green arrows show the 3 front mounting holes...red arrow shows the stud on the block the bracket goes onto.

#13 ·
TurnNburn said:
For what its worth, I have replaced several pumps without putting that annoying bracket back on. Havent had any come back... yet...
If you are doing it on your own vehicle, I think it's a personal choice.

Sounds like a disservice if on a customers vehicle. Most likely have something like this to look forward to in the future:

Can't say how long it took to crack, as it was never on there when I bought it.

#14 ·
The bracket on my 92 looks pretty stout.
I'm not too worried about this one breaking.

I do run the rear bracket on my A/C compressor however, even though it may also be somewhat redundant in this model year.

IMG_1035a.jpg

The bracket on my 2000 looks pretty stout too.
It didn't get the rear-bracket replaced either.

20170729_132037 - 2000 PS Pump.jpg

But Will in your defense, particularly on the older models you are 100% correct.
There was a major issue with the thinner steel brackets cracking and breaking.. plus even braking off the bolts that hold them to the block too. They needed EVERY bit of support possible.

Apparently, there were great improvements in the newer models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.