Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Please enable editing of posts

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Big_kid 
#1 ·
I know that there should be a reasonable time table to edit posts, but I find the current policy limiting. I find it so frustrating when I can't edit older posts and have to correct things down the line. For example in my build thread I would like to change the pictures on the first post, but I can't edit them, the only thing I could do is delete the pictures from the external website and post the images in another post, kind of a pita and would leave people guessing about the images that don't show up.

Or at least correct them from url links to image links, but the build threads should have a lot longer edit time anyway, imo.

#3 ·
The editing time window is currently set at 24 hours.

Let me give you a little background on why editing a post at any time is not possible. We hesitate to change the editing time to "unlimited" because like we've experienced that this ability can be abused in numerous ways. If ever a member becomes disgruntled they could edit/delete every one of their posts leaving holes in many topics or even change what they wrote later down the road to cause even more havoc.

Editing posts indefinitely leaves us wide open for malicious activity if accounts are ever compromised or a member gets upset and wants to do some destruction. I think with this setting it is going to be hard to please everyone. 24 hours is probably enough time to edit your post and get it the way you want it, but at the same time if someone puts up a good argument, 48 hours is probably okay too. Someone can become disgruntled and go back and delete their last 48 hours of posts and it wouldn't hurt us too bad.

I'm sorry if this inconveniences some people but it is the only way we can prevent members from going back and destroying every topic they've posted in. :)

Solutions
  • If you find something that you wrote that you don't like, changed your mind, learned something new, etc., you can always quote the previous post and make the appropriate correction.[/*]
  • Get it right the first time. Use the Preview button as many times as needed to get your posts just the way you want them before submitting.[/*]
  • Become a moderator and you can edit or delete posts any time. Moderators are exempt from the editing time window.[/*]
  • Request your post be edited by a Moderator. If at any time you'd like to send the team the revised first post you wrote, I'll edit it for you.[/*]

#4 ·
Thanks for the great explanation, I wasn't even thinking about someone abusing it.

I guess I will ask you to fix the pictures on the first page of viewtopic.php?f=127&t=11729 so that they display properly.

Thanks!

#5 ·
Good Better Best

I am new to this AstroSafari forum but not new to others. I feel like I am going out on a limb to say things without first lying low and learning the lay of the land. However, I believe that I have hit a restrictive ceiling in the very few posts that I have made. The two issues that I see are as follows:

1) This forum is between a NO edit your post to anytime edits of your post and or topic including deleting them. This is my ceiling.

2) This forum also seems to be between out of control moderation to justified moderation as I see in this thread viewtopic.php?f=61&t=9701. There are some forums that are not unlike the Gestapo acting mindlessly on bullies' tips to delete their unwanted from posting at all. No review, no trial and just blind negative actions. I honorably put this idea out but do not feel that I have seen this here regarding myself.

My issue is the editing of topics / posts that I have made. It revolves around the Good, Better, Best concept. I may have made a topic title that seemed Good at the time and then realized that I could have been Better by being more descriptive with an additional word or two. I can't change it here. I know that I could add more vivid words in a quote as another post but I do believe that most people would like to see it in the beginning and especially in the Title.

I am going to stop here but I do hope that I don't think of anything else to add too much later on.

#6 ·
Is there any way to enable it selectively so that at least in the build/project threads we can edit our posts. I can think of lots of ways to improve some of my earlier posts, for example fixing the broken images and adding new ones where I didn't have them before.

#7 ·
That's still up to the admin(s). Any edits you want done to older posts, just shoot a moderator a PM & I'm sure that any one of us will be happy to make the changes.

Admins build the road, moderators are just the guard rails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.