Anyone here know about riding mowers?

Anyone here know about riding mowers?

Postby markmitch [OP] » April 21st 2017, 2:39am

We have a riding lawn mower I was mowing with and it just shut off with no warning. Then when I attempted to re- start it I get nothing. I tried to move around on the seat to see it the switch was no making contact and I tried moving both the gear selector and the PTO for the blades and nothing. I doubt it would be the starter as I never heard of a starter shutting the engine off.
Any ideas would be gladly accepted and tried. Battery is new and shows 12.6 volts.
Thanks Mark.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 440
Alias (AKA): Astro gearhead
Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RS 350 TBI

Re: Anyone here know about riding mowers?

Postby RECox286 » April 21st 2017, 3:52am

I had a friend who had a riding mower with the same shut-off-no-restart problem. It turned out to be

an open circuit or a short circuit, I can't exactly remember now, in the wiring under the seat cowling.

I would suggest checking the factory wiring first, after making sure the STOP (grounding) wire/switch

is not always grounded. Pretty simple stuff, really. But, good luck, Mark.

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Re: Anyone here know about riding mowers?

Postby Big_kid » April 21st 2017, 2:14pm

Without specifics like a manufacturer, model number, size or configuration, I can only offer basics. (I've been out of the field so long about all I can offer is basics anyway) If it's an MTD (Toro/Troybilt/Cub Cadet/house brand) the safety cutoff wire used to be yellow, might still be)

Look for something unplugged, I'd start at the safety switches. Any one of them would do what you describe if it thinks you've left the seat while not in park, or with the blades down. Next I'd move on to the ignition switch.

Next pull the plugs off the switches and clean the contacts. When I worked on these in the field I'd use ketchup packets from McDonalds. The acid and salt cleans the copper contacts. Get it in there, let it sit for 10-15 minutes, then clean it thoroughly. Check the switches with a meter. They should have continuity with the plunger pushed in. IIRC the safeties were wired in series so if one broke the circuit it shut down. Again, I've been out of it for a few years.

Good luck!
95 Astro Conversion of unknown lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 141
Extra Info: 2WD conversion