Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Tire Choice

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  JohnCalvin 
#1 ·
Boz from Hogo Taxi here, I bought a my van 2005 Safari with all terrain tires on it and they create a fairly loud noise when driving on the freeway. I want to replace them with a quieter tire and am looking for my best option. Here in Honolulu we don't have anything but a little rain every once and a while to deal with so my biggest concern is comfort and low noise. I do load it up with some pretty heavy loads coming out of the military bases so I was thinking about going to a 225/70/16 or even 225/75/16 so if anybody can give me some advice I would appreciate it, gas milage is a big concern too! Thank You, Thank You Very Much
Boz

#5 ·
LT tires have a stiffer sidewall, giving less body roll in turns and corners. I have Grabber AT2's on my van. The tread is aggressive, but the noise is a lot less than I expected it to be. I don't hear it unless I'm listening for it.

#6 ·
I replaced the stock size 215/70-16 Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S tires (Load index 100S / SL, max load 1764 lbs, 50 psi, 30 lbs) with 235/70-16 Geolandar A/T-S (load index 107S / XL, max load 2149 lbs, 51 psi, 34 lbs) due to the higher load rating compared to other same sized passenger or LT rated tires.

Other 235/70-16:

BFG TA KO: Load index 104/101S / C, max load 1984 lbs, 50 psi, 38 lbs

BFG Rugged Terrain: Load index 104T / SL, max load 1804 lbs, 44 psi, 33 lbs

Firestone Destination A/T: Load index 104S / SL, max load 1984 lbs, 44 psi, 33 lbs

General Grabber AT2: Load index 106T / SL, max load 2094 lbs, 44 psi, 32 lbs

I was already happy with the characteristics of the first set of Geolandars and with the higher XL rated tires the improved all-around handling, empty or loaded. So looking at the specs is something to consider for the sizes you are interested in.

#7 ·
I did a lot of research on tires-- 215/75/R15. Michelin no longer makes this size. If you look at the reviews at tirerack.com, the #2 best tire was the Firestone Destination LE2. I just purchased 4, so I can't comment on them as far as long-term performance, etc. But, from the reviews they are good in wet conditions, are quiet, and even good in light snow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.