Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

tire size

35K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  cohomology 
#1 ·
I am having a hard time finding tires 215/75/15 for my 94 Astro. What other size would be good for it. I really don't want to go to a 70 because I don't want it lower. Thanks for any help you can give me

#6 ·
Phantom said:
Here is a list of sizes that fit
Plus Zero
225/70-15
225/75-15
235/70-15
Plus One
215/70-16
225/65-16
225/70-16
235/65-16

Plus Two
225/65-17
235/60-17
245/55-17
Plus Three
245/50-18
Plus Four
245/45-19
Plus Five
235/45-20
Do you know if any of those 16 or 17 sizes can be had in a load range C

#7 ·
It should not be a problem , you should find a LT truck tire , not a passenger tire,
The 215/70/16 was a factory standard size for the Astro with the 6 lug wheels

I think that a " C " load range has 6 plies , for the exact specifics you will have to visit a tire dealer or website that lists the LT tire load ranges , the same tire size is often available in both the LT version and passenger version , LT are usually for trucks that need a heavy load rating for hauling heavy cargo

#10 ·
I'm thinkin bout doin some 235 70 15s or even some 30s. Then I take off roof rack so it can fit in garage haha. I want my ground clearance darnit.

#12 ·
i run 2 sizes, winter 235/75/15, summer, 235/60/15. can't really tell the difference when i'm on the highway, but the van looses off the line power with the larger winter tire. milage has dropped with the winter tires, but i'm not sure if it is the tires, or extra idling to to keep her warm. i hate idling and i try not to do it, but i did go for lot's of usless trips so that i could warm up the garage with the hot engine. 15" tires are getting harder to find, since the average car maker now uses 16/17" wheels as standard equipment.

#15 ·
Lumpy said:
cohomology said:
Sorry for bringing back this old thread. Does this apply to 1999 2wd as well?
Safest way to estimate is to go to an online tire size compare thing and enter whatever sizes you want to evaluate. Here's one, there's lots -

http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-comparison/

Lump
Hm, don't quite understand how to use the chart, forgive my ignorance. I am relatively new with the astro scene, since I just picked up my first van today!

Since I need new tires badly(front two are almost out), would anyone just recommend a right size for me? e.g., will 215/75/15 work on 1999 2wd passenger van?

#18 ·
Mine has 235/60R15 on front and 245/60R15 on the back same height, because I had them on another van that had antilock for a week (bought for the antilock van ) then I bought my 89 RS and transferred them over I have never had any form of rubbing or anything. Back tires are about 1.5 inches wider I believe. Rides super nice and corners great.

#19 ·
cohomology said:
Lumpy said:
cohomology said:
Hm, don't quite understand how to use the chart...
Input the numbers for your stock size tires on one of the lines on the left. Input the numbers for a tire in question on the next line. Click on "COMPARE" and you'll see the difference in dimensions on the right.

To find out what your stock size is, go to discounttire.com or any tire site. Enter your year, make, model vehicle and it will tell you what's stock.

Lump

#20 ·
Input the numbers for your stock size tires on one of the lines on the left. Input the numbers for a tire in question on the next line. Click on "COMPARE" and you'll see the difference in dimensions on the right.

To find out what your stock size is, go to discounttire.com or any tire site. Enter your year, make, model vehicle and it will tell you what's stock.

Lump
Great tip! So I just went with stock and grabbed a 215/75/15 set which is stock size, according to discouttire.com .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.