Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

spare tire

12K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Anzu 
#1 ·
hello people; My spare is original and the rim is pretty rusted. Any info of a good place to get a newer one. I know JY are a good place and the last one I went to pointed me to a area with them there with no luck.
any words
IBBY

#2 ·
You'd have to buy a wheel if you can't find one from a junkyard... You should easily be able to find one. Wheels from older 5-lug full size chevy trucks and vans also fit an Astro. Older Chevy Caprice wheels also fit. I got my full size spare wheel from a G-series van. Paid $12 for it.

#3 ·
Salvage yards are going to be the best for finding a matched style wheel , unless you find something in the want ads

an original tire from 94 ?

no matter how good it looks get rid of it ,, testing has shown that tires over 7-10 years old are not safe , they nay be fine for awhile but may likely blow out at an unexpected time . I had a like brand new condition tire that had never been mounted before , it came with the van as an extra from PO , when I went to have it mounted , no tire shop would mount it because the date code was older than 6 years ,, do a search on tire date codes and find out about this

#6 ·
jlat said:
hello; So a full size tire rim will fit under the van? I thought that's why they went with a doughnut spare.
IBBY
Cost is the only issue in this case. On my '04 I've got a full size 16" aluminum rim with 235/70-16 under my van with about 1 1/2" inches of clearance between hitch and frame. I'd love to have a new matching tire on spare rim but that's an expensive luxury so found a Michelin from used tire place that I traded my old set of tires and $20 for. Still have the space saver (six lug) but I'm probably just gonna take it to the recycler next time.

#7 ·
Even if a full size wheel/tire will fit under your van, be sure to inspect the cable supporting it. I've heard more than one story about the cable snapping. I'd only imagine adding more weight will make that more likely. Maybe adding an additional strap/support under there would be beneficial.

#8 ·
Discount Tire has a full sized spare and wheel for something like $49.
It's a plain jane metal painted wheel and a cheapie 215 or so on it.

My GenI shortie won't fit a full size tire in the spare spot.
Only a donut will squeeze in there.

I don't carry either unless I'm traveling. Just driving around town,
I'll call auto club and tow me home or to DiscTire.

Lump

#9 ·
hello; Can you still get a doughnut spare for a 94 Astro 15" tire? I went to one JY only and the guy pointed me to a pile of tires and I found nothing. I also didn't think of the weight of a full size spare under there with my old rusting cable unit. Something to think about.
IBBY

#10 ·
jlat said:
hello; Can you still get a doughnut spare for a 94 Astro 15" tire? I went to one JY only and the guy pointed me to a pile of tires and I found nothing. I also didn't think of the weight of a full size spare under there with my old rusting cable unit. Something to think about.
IBBY
There is a list in this site of things that interchange tire wise.Full size trucks older impala's etc.So there available.
Personally I would never use the donut it a waste being there.If I around home, jack it up take the tire to fix it.At worst bring a snow tire to get it home.But on a trip I would like to have a full sized spare to throw in the back in the van.

#11 ·
Phantom is right. Tires age. Even never mounted ones. They are dangerous. They become very hard which makes them not wear out, however, they perform in a strange manner. I do not mess with used tires anymore. Of course now a set of tires is about the same price I generally pay for the whole car.

#12 ·
A dounut spare is not a good investment , they are designed to only get you a trip home , they are smaller in diameter and are NOT to be used for anything else than an emergency , it can harm differentials if used for long , and they generally will wear down the tread fast , they are only about half as wide as a full size spare

#13 ·
hello; I had to use the old donut this fall. Going to work on Storrow Drive at about 5 AM I heard a sound like plastic wrap flapping. It was not. The tire slit down the sidewall and was told that it was caused because I was driving on it while flat. Luckily I had a lighted spot to change it and it wasn't too cold. The old donut was almost flat and after putting it on I could't find a gas station for air. I did find one and the station was closed but the air was on.I got home and got a new tire.
I think it's time to get rid of the donut.
you guys are making me think about that old spare.
IBBY

#14 ·
I got stuck making some deliveries at work on my donut for a couple hrs. one night. They wanted me to keep finish my shift after that and I said no fricken way, that thing was a little scary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.