Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

awd vans

13K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  AstroWill 
#1 ·
is there a year of drive train in the awd vans that is more robust? i want to get a second astro/safari awd for a desert mobile. maybe put a 305 or 307 in it nothing huge. maybe even a turbo charged 4 cyl..lol who knows

#2 ·
Through '98, they're all the BW4472 full-time AWD. From '99 up, it's the NP136 (same as the NP236 in '99+ automatic 4wd Blazers, etc but only single speed) automatic AWD case.

I like the '99+ simply because the van's in RWD until it detects slip, then automatically puts you in AWD.

#6 ·
ccookie66 said:
I like the '99+ simply because the van's in RWD until it detects slip, then automatically puts you in AWD.
Thats what you need. Having it in AWD all the time reduces MPG. Thats good because you can drive around in RWD until you need it, so your getting the MPG of a RWD van.
I've had AWD 'Stros pre & post '98 and They all seem to get the same mileage. I know '99 on are supposed to give better mpg but I haven't seen it.

#7 ·
The 99 and later vans don't get better mileage with the AWD deactivated, this is because all the associated with drivetrain parts rotate and create drag at all times.

#9 ·
Well, if there isn't too much of a difference between the AWD and RWD in terms of fuel mileage, then you should go for an AWD. They are a beast in the snow, and when driving in rain. They grip the road. The only time I ever got stuck with an AWD was when it bottoms out in the snow, and the tires are no longer touching the ground. Other than that, AWD has saved me a couple times, getting me out of the way of cars losing control in the snow.

#10 ·
I know this is an old post, But I drive two 97's one is AWD the other is RWD. Gas mileage is damn near the same all the time. So I prefer my AWD.

#12 ·
Most of the ones I have seen here in Maine are AWD, and for good reason. Though you might be confusing them by saying 4x4 because that is not the same as AWD.

#15 ·
I really prefer the full time AWD because it is what it says and you can count on it. On demand might be ok if the driver was the one demanding it instead of a computer that is only programed for a limited amount of happenings. For instance with full time awd if the back end loses traction in a corner you can roll on some throttle and the front wheels will pull you out of it BUT with on demand that may not be exactly what the computer is programed for and adding throttle is likely to spin you out as the front wheels didn't get the memo. You just have no way of knowing what to expect. Also as has been mentioned, all the components are still being driven either by the engine or by the rear wheels that of coarse are being driven by the engine. Same mileage shouldn't be a surprise imo.

#16 ·
we've seen quite a few noobs to A/S AWD in the winter think they had a problem with their on demand AWD's, but turned out it was working as designed. sometimes new and improved isn't as good as not fixing something that weren't broke in the first place.

#19 ·
I have the full time awd, but will still love to do the two speed t-casea and a g-80

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.