Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

V8 engine in an Astro must see

3K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  chevymaher 
#1 ·
For sale: 85 Corvette Tuned Port Injected 355 motor and Chevy 350 Turbo tranny setup already installed in an Astro. It is still in van and drivable. The van has only been to the track once, just to see what it run. I have mainly just drove it to car shows and cruise-ins, probably 2-3 thousands miles during the summer only.
The engine was rebuilt and bored 30 over about 10 years ago. It does a bigger cam, headers and computer work and sounds awesome. All the aluminum is polished, looks awesome. It has about 400 hp, but sounds like 600 hp. Does not burn oil, runs awesome, great throttle response. It has a Street and Performance wiring harness, only one wire is needed to hook up to Astro/Safari. Will include subframe

The whole van with no rearend could be the deal too. The body has some rust, have quarter panels for it.

May include almost everything needed to install in your Astro/Safari, still trying to decide on what I can use on the changeover.

B&M Shifter
Griffin Radiator with electric fans
Moroso tranny cooler with steel braided lines
March Performance billit aluminum serpentine belt setup

Still thinking of an asking price, but will consider offers. This is a get setup, runs awesome - looks awesome, all the work done already. pretty much plug and play.

I am removing the prostreet/tubbed rear end from my 85 Astro and putting it in my 98 Astro.

See less See more
#3 ·
Seems a shame to cut up the '85... What do you want for the whole package?
Mark

#4 ·
I am thinking $3500 or best offer for motor, tranny and all the extras.

I am sell whole van

#6 ·
Also included:
Fuel cell, electric fuel pump all Aeroquip fuel lines and fittings
2800 stall convertor and tranny lines and fittings are Aeroquip.
chrome plated one wire alternator
K&N filter with Outerwears waterproof wrap

$3000 or best offer

#8 ·
I got into the 12s, 12.96, which was my goal. It has great throttle resonse, but not hp to go really fast. It comes out of hole like a rocket. Not a good body for drag racing, top end is kinda scary. I had more fun driving it on the street, attending car shows and cruise-ins. I will miss it, but time to move on to my other Astro.

Mike

#9 ·
tpibadassastro said:
I got into the 12s, 12.96, which was my goal. It has great throttle resonse, but not hp to go really fast. It comes out of hole like a rocket. Not a good body for drag racing, top end is kinda scary. I had more fun driving it on the street, attending car shows and cruise-ins. I will miss it, but time to move on to my other Astro.

Mike
And I am sure the other astro will be just as awsome and fun.

#11 ·
Yea, I sure the other Astro will be just as much, if not more fun. I think all the windows gives it more of a sleeper look. What I will miss is the rumble of the other motor. The big cam, headers, 3 inch exhaust and the Flowmasters sound awesome - fuel injected motors sound meaner than carb motors.
I dont have plans to modify the LS1 motor, at least not at the present time.

#15 ·
Sold, we are installing the motor, tranny and stuff into a 68 Pontiac Lemans. It we will be missed, but the Lemans only lives 15 minutes away, so I'm sure I will see it once in awhile. We should be starting on my project soon, tubbing my LS1 Astro.

#16 ·
I wish I wasn't so deep into the Bad Ast build, I would have picked up the whole package from you. Sad to see it get parted out but I have to ask what do you have left that you still want to sell.
Mark

#17 ·
tpibadassastro said:
Sold, we are installing the motor, tranny and stuff into a 68 Pontiac Lemans. It we will be missed, but the Lemans only lives 15 minutes away, so I'm sure I will see it once in awhile. We should be starting on my project soon, tubbing my LS1 Astro.
I love the vans but I was originally an old car nut.Nice car the lemans.Glad it worked out for you.And good luck on this van.now that you have done it. It should go smooth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.