Best Fluid?

Best Fluid?

Postby astronot [OP] » March 16th 2017, 3:02pm

I am curious what the consensus is on the best transmission fluid to run in these babys that have high mileage? I have 264,000 on stock tranny and motor and it runs and drives great. Should I use a synthetic product like AMSOIL?? I use them in my other car that is manual tranny and it really smoothed it out. Just wondering what people here that have a lot more experience than me run for trans fluid. Thank you!
Original Poster [OP]
astronot
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): Lefty
Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 1997 AWD 4.3

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • P1870 + dirty/metallic fluid... Remanufactured transmission?
    by Tripsouth » March 27th 2017, 7:58pm in Automatic
    1 Replies
    Last post by Mmusicman View the latest post
    March 27th 2017, 8:06pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    May 25th 2017, 2:30am

Re: Best Fluid?

Postby Mmusicman » March 16th 2017, 3:16pm

The "BEST" fluid at this point, might not be the best fluid for you.

Typically, it is generally agreed that you don't change and mess with things with this much mileage.
With 264K on a stock tranny.... I'd say you ALREADY are running the "BEST" fluid!!! :D

Congrats!
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 3 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 3 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 35
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 AWD 92 V8-350

Postby astronot [OP] » March 16th 2017, 4:44pm

I totally understand, if it aint broke don't fix it. I guess I was just trying to make sure that I was treating it right with so many miles. I know the previous owner didn't run synthetic but thought it might be beneficial in keeping it together before I start having any issues. I guess I'll save the synthetic for when I need to change the trans out. Thanks for the insight!
Original Poster [OP]
astronot
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby markmitch » March 16th 2017, 5:47pm

So I was told other then changing the filter never flush a GM transmission because it loosens stuff that you don't want to loosen. The trans shop that I got help rebuilding my tranny as I did not have the tools to do certain things told me that bit of info. He also said that's what gives him business at times. He said all those transmission additives are also junk with the exception of lucas trans additive he actually said it helps get a bit more mileage out of the tranny without swelling seals and such? I have never tried this though so its a word of mouth kinda thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-10441- ... B003JU71YG
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 440
Alias (AKA): Astro gearhead
Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS 350 TBI

Postby dkGarnet96 » March 16th 2017, 6:54pm

Do you know for sure its the stock trans? Usually a factory trans starts to act up around 175k give or take some mileage, Depends on how often it was maintained.
If its the original stock trans and has 264k! then like the comment above, you are using the best. If you want to give it a fluid change, just use GM recommended fluid. Trans flushing is fine to do on a perfectly working trans, but if its having a problem, then a flush will probably cause more issues, or accent a problem.

I think the current recommended fluid is Dex 6.
-96 AWD 300k-
dkGarnet96
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: dkGarnet96 has been a member for 2 full yearsdkGarnet96 has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 3
Year: 1996
Extra Info: 4.3 awd

Postby Mmusicman » March 16th 2017, 7:38pm

Personally, I believe just by changing the filter alone, you will gently change "some" of the fluid. This partial infusion will not shock anything. I have never had a transmission "flushed" in all my life. The stock original trans on my 2000 is just hitting 200K... and the "partially" original (pump, and band) trans in my 92 is hitting close to 300K, but is finally seeing the end near. I have always used the cheapest basic Type F (recommended for shift kit), Type A, and Dextron III... usually purchased at Walmart. For motor oil however, I have started using high quality synthetics.

Recently I experimented with Tractor Hydraulic/AutoTransmission Fluid (bulk 5 gallon) which worked fine in my 92. It's clear, not red, and has some very impressive heat, sheer, endurance, and performance ratings.

Stick to whatever you have been doing... because OBVIOUSLY you've been doing it right!
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 3 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 3 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 35
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 AWD 92 V8-350

Postby chevymaher » March 17th 2017, 1:46pm

On the flush deal. I actually ran across a guy who knew what was going on with that and explained it.

If it was never serviced and you flush. The build up crap in the trans gets knocked loose and blocks the valve body's small channels.

So small changes without a flush allows that build up to dissolve slowly and is beneficial.

This came from the guy I talked to about rebuilding my trans. He is a third generation family owned business guy. Told his workers once just give me the seal I needed don't charge me. So he is a good guy and got my respect. Anybody who will help you for free sure isn't going to take advantage when you pay them good money. Rare in today's business world.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 83
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby astronot [OP] » March 17th 2017, 3:24pm

I'm fairly certain it is the original drive-train but will try to verify. I'll most likely just end up changing the filter and topping off as suggested. Really appreciate the input!
Original Poster [OP]
astronot
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby dramey » March 18th 2017, 12:23am

When you drop the pan, look in the pan and see what you have. You will see some silver material, some brass material and some clutch material. Small amounts of these are normal as parts do wear. Now if you see a very big glob of this stuff, that tells you the transmission wasn't serviced regularly by the previous owner and that the transmission may be close to needing an overhaul. Clean the material out of the pan until the pan is clean, change filter and replace transmission fluid.
dramey
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 7
Extra Info: AWD Cargo Van

Postby zach914v8 » March 18th 2017, 1:12am

I know anytime a fluid conversation comes up opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one. I have gone to a few classes on fluids over the years and I am of the school of thought that if it is dirty, even if it has never been serviced before flush it. From what I understand transmission fluids have come a long way in the last 30 years. Type F and others like it at that time, did create a varnish like coating on internal transmission parts and people that went too long between flushing would have problems when this stuff would break up after a flush. Now dex3, dex6, mercon 5, atf type 4, the list can go on and on... this new stuff just doesn't leave a residue. I have flushed many burned and dirty transmissions, and I have never had one fail because of it.
My Rides:

1974 Porsche 914 powered by a 305 Chevy v8.

1994 GMC Safari TBI 4.3, Lifted 4"
zach914v8
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: zach914v8 has been a member for 7 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 7 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 7 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 7 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 7 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 7 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA): ballzach
Extra Info: 4 inch lift

Postby chevymaher » March 18th 2017, 2:08am

zach914v8 wrote:I know anytime a fluid conversation comes up opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one. I have gone to a few classes on fluids over the years and I am of the school of thought that if it is dirty, even if it has never been serviced before flush it. From what I understand transmission fluids have come a long way in the last 30 years. Type F and others like it at that time, did create a varnish like coating on internal transmission parts and people that went too long between flushing would have problems when this stuff would break up after a flush. Now dex3, dex6, mercon 5, atf type 4, the list can go on and on... this new stuff just doesn't leave a residue. I have flushed many burned and dirty transmissions, and I have never had one fail because of it.

And I saw 3 cars pull into the garage at firestone under their own power. And get pushed into the parking lot after flushes. This was in the last 5 years and they were newer cars. High miles but had your new fluid that don't do that in them. Dropping like flies.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full years

Postby Lumpy » March 18th 2017, 2:12am

333+k miles on my 89 orig 700r4.

Never flushed but I've changed the filter and a pan full of juice twice.

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 261
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby chevymaher » March 18th 2017, 2:15am

I got 290 thousand on mine I changed fluid and filter once when I got it. Mom had it done once long ago. So twice on it as well.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby zach914v8 » March 18th 2017, 2:30am

chevymaher wrote:
zach914v8 wrote:I know anytime a fluid conversation comes up opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one. I have gone to a few classes on fluids over the years and I am of the school of thought that if it is dirty, even if it has never been serviced before flush it. From what I understand transmission fluids have come a long way in the last 30 years. Type F and others like it at that time, did create a varnish like coating on internal transmission parts and people that went too long between flushing would have problems when this stuff would break up after a flush. Now dex3, dex6, mercon 5, atf type 4, the list can go on and on... this new stuff just doesn't leave a residue. I have flushed many burned and dirty transmissions, and I have never had one fail because of it.

And I saw 3 cars pull into the garage at firestone under their own power. And get pushed into the parking lot after flushes. This was in the last 5 years and they were newer cars. High miles but had your new fluid that don't do that in them. Dropping like flies.

Maybe a bit of mechanic induced malfunction? I have no idea, but I have never seen that happen personally. I have flushed hundreds of transmissions with a BG flush machine never had to push a car out of the garage after one, not once.
My Rides:

1974 Porsche 914 powered by a 305 Chevy v8.

1994 GMC Safari TBI 4.3, Lifted 4"
zach914v8
Years of Membership: zach914v8 has been a member for 7 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 7 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 7 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 7 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 7 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 7 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA): ballzach
Extra Info: 4 inch lift

Postby Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online! » March 18th 2017, 2:44pm

Never had a transmission flushed. Never will, either. I've had friends who drove it in for a flush and had it towed to the tranny shop after for an R&R.

I will - and have - dropped the pan, changed the filter and filled up the fluid.
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD vin W - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD vin W - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Image Image
Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 27
Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3L AWD

Postby srdragonusa » March 18th 2017, 4:13pm

Very interesting, I wonder if it's elevation, Humidity, Cold/Heat or just Geographic locations that we have these differences in opinions? I believe my van has always been a SoCal Van It's only got 63K on it but I'm going to ask around here as well. I like the top off and change filter idea.
P@ul AKA SR Dragon
2003 AWD Astro
1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2012 Nissan Xterra Pro4X (wife's)
srdragonusa
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Paul
Year: 2003
Extra Info: AWD

Postby astronot [OP] » March 20th 2017, 4:02pm

Thanks for all the responses, I will just top it off and replace filter don't want to awaken any gremlins in the trans.
Original Poster [OP]
astronot
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)