Highway Speed Vibration

Highway Speed Vibration

Postby MtAstro [OP] » May 30th 2017, 3:03pm

I have an irritating highway speed vibration on the highway that starts about 55 MPH and gets worse as I increase speed. It doesn't seem like tire vibration, more of a U-Joint vibration. I removed both drive lines and the U-Joints all seemed tight. Also, the bushing in the transmission tail piece where the drive line goes in seems tight.
The vibration seems to cycle constantly, gets worse then better, worse then better. I would describe it as a "RUMBLING" type vibration.
The vibration just seems too high of a frequency to be tires.

How can I go about pin pointing this annoying vibration?
Where is the most likely place to check?
We have a business in my town that balances drive lines for $60.00 each. Would that be a likely place to start?
Thanks for your interest in helping.
Original Poster [OP]
MtAstro
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Topics: 6
Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Re: Highway Speed Vibration

Postby 1lowcab » May 30th 2017, 3:07pm

Yup, I would start there. Have them replace the ujoints and balance the shaft. If the rumble is still there then take your tires in and have them road force balanced.

Good luck in your search, mine had a rumble/vibration from 55+ and it can be a pain to find!
2003 Astro AWD, G80, 3" Lift, Hankook Dynapro ATM All Terrains
1lowcab
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 29
Year: 2003
Extra Info: AWD G80 3 Inch Lift

Postby dramey » May 30th 2017, 3:46pm

When you are getting the vibration, place the heal of your hand on the steering wheel with your fingers extended and watch the vibration. Now do the same thing except with the heal of your hand on the dash. If the vibration is shows up worse on the steering wheel, then the vibration is most likely in the front. If the vibrations shows up worse from the dash, then the vibration is most likely in the rear. Do you get the vibration when accelerating, or at a steady speed, or when slowing down?
dramey
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 7
Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD Cargo Van

Postby nosxjeep » May 30th 2017, 4:24pm

I have a similar experience and my transmission/drive line guy first checked the driveshafts and didn't find anything off. He is thinking that it is in the rear diff. He put some fluid in it as it was a bit low and the problem got a little better for a while, but never went away. Now it is back to where it was before. I plan to have the bearings rebuilt and such in the axle when I'm ready to install a locker.
Maybe try to add some fluid to the rear diff and see if it helps?
nosxjeep
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Alias (AKA): NoS
Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD 3+1 30s

Postby TurnNburn » May 30th 2017, 4:57pm

do you just "feel" like its not the tires, or do you KNOW its not the tires? just cause your gut makes you feel like its not the tires, doesn't mean its right. 55 mph is when i typically expect to see vibrations from out of balance tires, or a bent rim for that matter.
Last edited by TurnNburn on May 30th 2017, 5:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
2000 Astro- 7'' lift, NP233C 4x4 T-case, 31x10.5x15 A/T, ongoing camperization in progress
"If you wont drink a beer with me then we probably cant be friends"
Build thread- viewtopic.php?t=103066
TurnNburn
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 1 full year
Alias (AKA): My friends call me fluffy
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 4x4 Overlander

Postby Toskavat » May 30th 2017, 4:59pm

I would also check the motor and transmission mounts as I saw no one mention those, Check to see if they are loose or in need of replacement.
Toskavat
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: Toskavat has been a member for 2 full yearsToskavat has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): ASTRORC
Year: 1999
Extra Info: 4.3 V6 2WD

Postby 1lowcab » May 30th 2017, 5:21pm

And then there is this-

"Rolling Boom Noise Inside Vehicle (Install Pinion Nose Damper and/or New Rear Leaf Spring Dampers) #00-03-09-001B - (Oct 19, 2004)

Rolling Boom Noise Inside Vehicle (Install Pinion Nose Damper and/or New Rear Leaf Spring Dampers)
1995-2005 Chevrolet Astro Van Models

1995-2005 GMC Safari Van Models

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2005 model year, change a nut part number within the spring damper kit and change a quantity in the Parts Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-03-09-001A (Section 03 - Suspension).

Condition

Some owners may comment about a "boom" noise inside the vehicle while driving at speeds ranging between 97-105 km/h (60-65 mph). This condition is most noticeable from behind the driver's seat.

Cause

The condition may result from an engine-firing harmonic, which becomes noticeable at torque converter clutch (TCC) lock-up.

Correction

A new rear leaf spring damper kit (containing two dampers , one per spring) has been developed, to be used in conjunction with a pinion nose damper tuned to 86 Hertz (Hz), to reduce the resultant noise level.

AFFECTED VEHICLES MAY REQUIRE THE INSTALLATION OF THE PINION NOSE DAMPER, THE SPRING DAMPERS, OR BOTH. THE INSTALLATION OF EITHER OF THESE DAMPERS IS AT THE DISCRETION OF THE TECHNICIAN FOR BEST RESULTS. Use the following procedures and the appropriate part number listed below.

Important: Installation of these dampers will not totally eliminate the boom noise. The boom noise may only be reduced to a more acceptable level. There may be other boom noises, such as body or exhaust, associated with the vehicle and this fix may either diminish or enhance the noise. These other noises should be addressed prior to the correction for the TCC boom dampener being installed."
1lowcab

Postby Rockridge » May 30th 2017, 5:24pm

I'm working through a similar issue 65mph and up. Just had tires road force balanced. Was a little better. Tires are virtual ly new but low end quality. They recommended new tires as 2 of them were out of road force spec. There is a little side play in my intermediate shaft but the garage didn't comment on that.

I'd get the tires looks at if I was you.
Keep is posted
Rockridge
Years of Membership: Rockridge has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Walker
Year: 2000
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby 1lowcab » May 30th 2017, 6:08pm

Heres my walk through freeway speed vibration hell...
http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=105218
1lowcab

Postby MtAstro [OP] » June 12th 2017, 2:39pm

dramey wrote:When you are getting the vibration, place the heal of your hand on the steering wheel with your fingers extended and watch the vibration. Now do the same thing except with the heal of your hand on the dash. If the vibration is shows up worse on the steering wheel, then the vibration is most likely in the front. If the vibrations shows up worse from the dash, then the vibration is most likely in the rear. Do you get the vibration when accelerating, or at a steady speed, or when slowing down?

Sorry for the long delay, lots of family stuff going on. It doesn't seem to matter on acceleration, just speed sensitive. By ROAD FORCE BALANCE, do you mean the old spin balancers they do right on the vehicle?
I am going to follow all the advice you people have given here, and get this pin pointed. I said I have a gut feeling that it isn't the tires, but nothing conclusive there. I have gotten to where I don't trust many tire experts because I have been mis-led so many times by un-knowing tire shops. I won't rule out the tires at this point.
Original Poster [OP]
MtAstro
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby 1lowcab » June 12th 2017, 2:57pm

Here ya go, Pat Goss to the rescue.

1lowcab

Postby mdconvert » June 14th 2017, 1:00pm

I had a similar problem and replaced the driveshaft with one from junk yard which fixed it.
mdconvert
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: mdconvert has been a member for 8 full yearsmdconvert has been a member for 8 full yearsmdconvert has been a member for 8 full yearsmdconvert has been a member for 8 full yearsmdconvert has been a member for 8 full yearsmdconvert has been a member for 8 full yearsmdconvert has been a member for 8 full yearsmdconvert has been a member for 8 full years

Postby MtAstro [OP] » June 17th 2017, 7:24am

I took the rear drive line in and had it balanced an it is far worse now. He did the balancing with a lathe and two dial indicators, seemed like it should be done with a computerized machine. I have 2 rear wheel bearing repairs coming from Amazon tomorrow. I know the bearings are bad, and I will install them and test the van tomorrow on the freeway.
Original Poster [OP]
MtAstro
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby MtAstro [OP] » June 19th 2017, 12:15pm

Installed the new rerouted wheel bearings and the vibration is still there. Motor and transmission mounts are good. I'm thinking about taking the driveline to a different shop (Inland Truck Parts) and have them check the balance the first shop did.
Original Poster [OP]
MtAstro
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby 1lowcab » June 19th 2017, 1:16pm

One thing I did to help pinpoint the location of the vibration is put the van on jack stands and run it up to where the vibration starts.

Make VERY sure that you use good stands, that the van is solidly and squarely sitting on them and that all 4 tires are far enough off the ground. Double and triple check all the stands and give it a good shake test before you start.

I had somebody run mine to 60 mph while I used a mechanics stethoscope to poke around and listen underneath.

Again, use extreme caution and common sense of you do this.
1lowcab