Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Too Much Fluid

7K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  chevymaher 
#1 ·
I have a 94 astro and i checked the fluid level on the transmission today while it was cold and i noticed that it is way past the hot mark. Will too much fluid cause it to shift funny or kinda vibrate. There is no shifting issues untill its time to switch to over drive. Then it starts to kinda idle funny and kinda like vibrate.

#2 ·
Too much fluid can cause problems , it will cause air bubbles when it heats up reducing the amount of lubrication and causing excessive wear and sometimes strange shifting operation , and the possibility for leakage at the seals; Make sure the air vent is not pinched or clogged up .
You should drain the excess to bring it in line with the level mark ,

#3 ·
You don't have to drop the pan either to drain some fluid out. You could unhook the feed line for the tranny cooler lines and start the Van for a couple seconds let it pump some fluid into a bucket via a rubber line you put on the tranny line. Then re attach tranny line and check the fluid and add as needed. If your tranny is low on fluid you will get shuddering at shift changes sometimes....so I'm sure the same can happen if its overfilled.

#7 ·
to much fluid can cause foaming of the fluid and this is VERY bad for the trans it will cause overheating among other problems

if you check it warm and idling in park and its still way over past full then loosen up the pan and let some out or remove a cooler hose at radiator and let some out into a bucket, attach a 5/16" rubber hose on it if you need to

its better for a trans ot be a little low rather than over full

if theres no foam on stick then you may be ok and stick may be innacurate possibly

or tube not all way down into the trans case

if there is foam on it then do not drive or run it until you lose some fluid

#9 ·
Every time I checked the transmission fluid level, no matter cold or hot, it is always about 3 or 4 inches over the cross-hatched area, but the last service was done by a branded local mechanic shop on Feb 28, 2012, and I did not see any burnish color other than pink....it has been about 30k km since last service, there has not been any transmission issue since then. I read the topic and decided to suck some fluid out, after I got around 1 litter sucked out, and re-checked the level, it was still about 1 inch higher than the cross-hatched area, about at the letter "P" of the "PARK"....I will wait and have a cold check tomorrow morning and decide what to do next.

But the worst thing is that I have driven my van with overfilled transmission fluid for almost three years with 30k km.....will my tranny get burnt soon?

#10 ·
lukeman said:
But the worst thing is that I have driven my van with overfilled transmission fluid for almost three years with 30k km.....will my tranny get burnt soon?
I don't think so. There is a overflow on the trans. If it was over full it drains out the back. Are you checking it running? Mine is about that high when it is turned off. Fluid goes down if you check it running. That is the proper way to do it.

#12 ·
chevymaher said:
lukeman said:
I don't think so. There is a overflow on the trans. If it was over full it drains out the back. Are you checking it running? Mine is about that high when it is turned off. Fluid goes down if you check it running. That is the proper way to do it.
Hi chevymaher, when you said it drains out the back, does the "back" point to the front or the back of the vehicle? I did see some oil around the bottom under the engine but I could not identify the source. Thanks.

#14 ·
chevymaher said:
There is a vent tube at the top rear of the trans, usually a small tube which runs down at least halfway.
That makes me feel better. Don't you think what I did today will lead to the other way - Not enough fluid? It was about 1 L maybe more drained out. When I pulled the dipstick out, some fluid may stick to it from the tube, so it is hard to say the reading was correct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.