Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Neutral Safety Switch Bypass

9K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  grandamle91 
#1 ·
How can I bypass my switch so I can start my 97 Astro and get it back home.

#6 ·
Well I got it bypassed, Got and got the new one on but now I need a dirgram all my wires were broke, the new plug is off my 97 blazer but the wiring is different

#7 ·
What are the colors of the wiring on your astro plug ?

what are the colors on your 97 blazer plug ?

Did you swap the switch from the blazer onto the astro , or just the plug?

Looking at a diagram for a 96 blazer the purple wire comes from the fuse box and the yellow wire goes to the stater relay

On the 96 Astro the pink wire comes from the fuse box

#12 ·
It would be so much easier if you bought a new pigtail for the van , or go to the salvage yard and get one from a van there , the way the wiring is done on the blazer is very close to the astro , but there are some differences , depends on how much time you want to invest verses getting a pigtail designed for an astro .. perhaps if you can identify which switches you refer refer to ,I may be able to trace them , but I don't have time to make out a cross reference chart ; as far as the neutral safety switch there is only a couple of those wires that actually operate the switch it is power and ground in and out , the other wires are for the other things nearby , the TCC , VSS ,shift solenoids etc etc

#13 ·
$100 bucks for a pigtail is rape, Junk yards around here are ******** that charge more then new. I'll just park it and drive my car, till i can bend over at the parts store...lol

Well I went to advance for the hell of it and looked at the part and all the wires are grey, that won't do any good

#14 ·
grandamle91 said:
$100 bucks for a pigtail is rape, Junk yards around here are ******** that charge more then new. I'll just park it and drive my car, till i can bend over at the parts store...lol

Well I went to advance for the hell of it and looked at the part and all the wires are grey, that won't do any good
All the new ones have gray wires it seems , take your old connector hold it next to the new connector making sure that they face the same direction . like the clip facing same direction , then note color of wire in order rank from one side to the other ,
if a red wire on old connector is in position all the way to the right side , then take the gray wire on new connector that is in the same location as the red wire on the old connector and connect that gray wire to the red wire on the van harness that formerly was connected to the red wire on old connector . do this one at a time so you can be sure that you got them all back to the correct original positions, You can do this with your other connector from the blazer , just forget about the colors of the wires on the connector , and match up pin locations, this connector was used on about a dozen GM vehicles and some had a different wing scheme , but as long as you have the old connecter and match up the pins correctly , the color of the wire won't matter .

#16 ·
grandamle91 said:
The wires on my plug were damaged by snow
I am curious , how did ice and snow damage the connector so bad that you are unable to tell what colors the wires are coming out of the plug?

take your old connector hold it next to the new connector making sure that they face the same direction . like the clip that locks it in place with 4 pins facing downward like in the pic

then note color of wire in order rank from one side to the other ,

if a red wire on old connector is in position all the way to the right side , then take the gray wire on new connector that is in the same location as the red wire on the old connector and connect that gray wire to the red wire on the van harness that formerly was connected to the red wire on old connector

. do this one at a time so you can be sure that you got them all back to the correct original positions, just forget about the colors of the wires on the connector , and match up pin locations,

this connector was used on about a dozen GM vehicles and some had a different wing scheme , but as long as you have the old connecter and match up the pins correctly , the color of the wire won't matter

Attachments

#17 ·
Wires were old brittle and the ice and snow pulled them right out of the socket, I really need to invest in some shields if i'm going to keep plowing. Can some one take a picture of theres? Thats all i need

#18 ·
I don't recall what thread it was but I think Jasen posted a pic of his , on his 97 about a month ago , i think at least half of the wires were easy to see ,,get is narrowed down to a couple and should be able to figure out the rest with the diagram,,,or can you take pics of the connectors that you have that show where the wires are located on each connector that you have , lay them out as described above with both front and back pics with connectors side by side

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.